• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Great article by author Toni Bernhard J.D. in Psychology Today

ixchelkali

I thought that was a very good article. I think we've all had those moments when we have to decide whether or not to use the dreaded "chronic fatigue syndrome" name. And I bet we've all seen that look when someone --especially a doctor-- disengages from us when we do.

I think the people who are trying to fight the stigma by publicly saying "I have this" are heroes. It shouldn't have to take courage, but it does.

Nielk

I thought that was a very good article. I think we've all had those moments when we have to decide whether or not to use the dreaded "chronic fatigue syndrome" name. And I bet we've all seen that look when someone --especially a doctor-- disengages from us when we do.

I think the people who are trying to fight the stigma by publicly saying "I have this" are heroes. It shouldn't have to take courage, but it does.

Yes, Toni describes the stigma of having this illness very well. I'm sure we have all encountered similar situations