• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Stop Telling Me To Exercise!

Carrigon

My doctor, again. She was like, you've gotta get up and move, you've gotta exercise, you've gotta find a way to exercise. UGH!!!!!

It's like telling a blind person they better find a way to see, or someone who is in a wheelchair and cannot walk that they better find a way to get up and walk.

I am a former athlete. I was a gym rat. I was in top military shape when I got sick. Obviously, if I could exercise, I'd be doing it! Big SCREAMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

It's as bad as some of the male doc's I've had who actually used to ask me all about if I had a boyfriend and was I getting laid enough. Cause, oh yeah, that's our problem, not enough sex. It's just unreal what these supposedly educated idiots come up with. So that's my vent for the day.

insearchof

"I am a former athlete. I was a gym rat. I was in top military shape when I got sick. Obviously, if I could exercise, I'd be doing it! Big SCREAMMMMMMMMMMMMM!"

Hi Carrigon

Understand your frustration.....been there done that. Some times it helps to make the passionate statement you made above to your doctor.

As for doctors who make comments about your sex life, ask them what century they are in. There was a medical school of thought and practice a long time ago, that treated hysteria in women with sexual therapy.

Doctors that advocate GET are not doctors you need help from IMO, start looking for another.

ISO

taniaaust1

It's as bad as some of the male doc's I've had who actually used to ask me all about if I had a boyfriend and was I getting laid enough. Cause, oh yeah, that's our problem, not enough sex. It's just unreal what these supposedly educated idiots come up with. So that's my vent for the day.

Wow.. that one i think beats the cake when it comes to doctors reasons why we are sick.

If you could exericise, I'd recommend dig and hole and throw these doctors into it. :p

svetoslav80

Carrigon I understand you completely, although I'm able to exercise myself. I was told similar things from different doctors - that I don't train enough and that's why I feel bad, some recommended me to find a girlfriend, some said it was depression and so on ...

Boule de feu

Maybe that doctor had a kick on you and wanted to know if you needed a new boyfriend... LOL

My GP never asks me about doing exercises. Actually, it is the other way around. He feels I'm not pacing enough (I'm always doing too much when I feel a bit better and I relapse). Would we ask a child who has the flu (fever, chills, sore throat) to go play outside? Well, it is the same for us.

My GP knows that I will go for a walk if I feel good enough. A 10 minute walk still puts me back in bed, so I try not push it.

I tell him that if I would take time to exercise, I would not be able to do anything else in the house.
I exercise when I clean the house, climb the stairs, fold the laundry, take a shower. But I only do it when I feel good enough.

If you waste your energy on exercising, you might not have enough left to do anything else. Unfortunately, it is my reality.
Is it yours?