• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23andme genetic testing

LaurieL

Is Yasko published?

Here's a list of her credentials some sent me that I pass along to you.

Dr. Amy Yasko, Ph.D., NHD, AMD, HHP, FAAIM
Degrees/Certification

* Doctorate Microbiology/Immunology/Infectious Disease
* Registered Naturopath Washington D.C.
* Certified Alternative Medical Practitioner
* Certified Holistic Health Practitioner
* Fellow-American Association Integrative Medicine
* College of Physicians-Certified Diplomat
* College of Herbal Medicine-Certified Diplomat
* College of Pharmaceutical Sciences-Certified Diplomat

Education
Albany Medical College of Union University

* Dept. Microbiology/Immunology & Infectious Disease; Ph.D. graduated Summa Cum Laude
* Research Antibiotic Resistance and Transport; Deans Award foxr Research Excellence

Clayton College of Natural Health

* Doctor Naturopathy; Graduated with Highest Honors
* NHD Doctor Natural Health; Graduated with Highest honors

Colgate University

* Hamilton, New York
* Double Major Chemistry and Fine Arts
* B.A. Graduated Magna Cum Laude

Academic Positions
Yale Medical Center

Department of Hematology
New Haven, Connecticut
Fellow Eukaryotic/Prokaryotic Drug Resistance

Strong Memorial Hospital
Cancer Center
Rochester, New York
Fellow Mammalian Retroviruses

Strong Memorial Hospital
Dept. Pediatrics & Infectious Disease
Rochester, New York
Fellow Bacterial Vaccines
Industrial Positions

Neurological Research Institute, LLC
Director, Registered Naturopath
Complementary & Alternative Health Care

Holistic Health Consultants, LLC
Medical Consultant

Serenity Corners
Chief Medical Officer

Oligos Etc. Inc.
Cofounder and Vice President
Development of Nucleic Acid based drugs
as anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory agents

Biotix Inc.
Cofounder and Vice President
Development of automated DNA Synthesizer

International Biotechnologies Inc. (now Kodak/IBI)
Director of Research and Development
Development of Molecular Biology Kits
Honors and Associations

2004 CASD Award for RNA Research in Autism
Whos Who in the World
Whos Who in American Women
Whos Who in Science and Engineering
Whos Who in Young Professionals
Whos Who in Emerging Leaders
Scientific Advisory Board-National Foundation Alternative Medicine (NFAM)
American College for Advancement in Medicine
Founding Member of National Integrative Medicine Council (NIMC)
American Naturopathic Medical Association
Society for Neuroscience
American Nutraceutical Association
Association of Drugless Practitioners
National Center for Homeopathy
American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists
Marion Foundation
Association of Medical Diagnostics Manufacturers
American Chemical Society Division of Medicinal Chemistry
American Society for Microbiology
Life Extension Foundation
New York Biotechnology Association
New York Academy of Sciences
American Association for the Advancement of Science
National Association of Female Executives
Sigma XI Research Society

http://www.autismone.org/content/autism-science-digest-journal-autismone

As far as publications within a medical journal, I don't know. Rich?

Laurie

determined

Thanks, Laurie, I'll look it up when I get a chance.

I'm interested in the urea snps also. I won't be able to look around at those for a while though.

Thanks again!

richvank

Here's a list of her credentials some sent me that I pass along to you.

Dr. Amy Yasko, Ph.D., NHD, AMD, HHP, FAAIM

As far as publications within a medical journal, I don't know. Rich?

Laurie

Hi, Laurie.

If you do a search at PubMed on her maiden name Arrow A or Arrow AS you will find some abstracts of published papers on which Dr. Amy was an author.

Rich

lucy

Wanted to share an article related to gene testing here. I wonder if any of the described findings can be seen in the results of your 23andme test?

searcher

Thanks for that link Lucy. I think the gene expression studies are fascinating, and have a good change at helping researchers get at the root of the disease if they make sure to use good diagnostic criteria for the subjects. Unfortunately I think that our 23andme results won't help us understand what genes are being over-expressed compared to controls since our nuclear DNA is only one of many variables that determine what genes are being expressed. It's still really expensive to test the expression of a large number of genes via microarray, which limits the studies, especially with so little money dedicated to ME/CFS research.
Luckily costs go down very quickly in biology research so maybe in a few years we can start doing these experiments at home :) How awesome would it be if we could test exactly what is going on in our bodies when we feel certain symptoms? For example, I would love to find out what is going on with my immune system and in my brain after I exercise..... SNPs are interesting but are really just a starting place for how our bodies work; it's the interplay between our environment and our genes where everything gets truly interesting.
(major caveat: I have taken a few genetics and bioinformatics class but am no expert.)

determined

I agree with you Searcher. The DNA testing may not suggest "the answer," but it sure is fun and I believe I have learned a few things that are very significant as to how I should proceed.

The bioinformatics class sounds great, I'm envious! Berkeley and MIT both have a lot of resources available online, for free, so when I get time, I'll be watching some of those courses.

Meanwhile, I continue to have increased energy levels on the methylfolate and mB12. I plan to stay at my "diluted speck" of a dose, and gradually add a few more things to the mix.

Initially, I was very concerned at my increase in chemical sensitivity (years ago, my main problem was severe MCS) but that has subsided, back down to baseline (still not normal compared to a healthy person, but I can work part time).

LaurieL

Hi, Laurie.

If you do a search at PubMed on her maiden name Arrow A or Arrow AS you will find some abstracts of published papers on which Dr. Amy was an author.

Rich

Thank you, I will add that to my information files so I can have it handy for others.
Lucy wrote..
Wanted to share an article related to gene testing here. I wonder if any of the described findings can be seen in the results of your 23andme test?

I haven't had a chance to check it out, but I will. Thank you!!

Laurie

Forebearance

As an aside, you guys may be interested to know that I had to submit my vial of saliva to 23andme three times. They kept claiming that they couldn't find any DNA in it! I wondered if it was a CFS thing.

Waverunner

Any news regarding 23andme and important SNPs for CFS. Dr. Yasko looks at very important ones but are there others that a PWC should look at?

hixxy

I'm trying to have to avoid reading this whole thread as I have severe EMF sensitivity. Can someone clarify the following?

A or T (A=T) is +
G or C (G=C) is -

This is what I have done:

ACE DEL16 No Data
CBS A360A -/- (GG)
CBS C699T +/- (AG)
COMT H62H +/+ (TT)
COMT V158M +/+ (AA)
COMT L136L No Data
COMT P199P -/- (GG)
MAO-A R297R + (T)
MTHFR C677T +/+ (TT)
MTHFR A1298C +/+ (TT)
MTHFR P39P -/- (GG)
MTR A2756G +/- (AG)
MTRR H595Y -/- (CC)
MTRR K350A +/+ (AA)
MTRR R415T -/- (CC)
MTRR S257T No Data
MTRR A66G -/- (GG)
MTRR-11 A664A +/- (AG)
NOS-3 G894T No Data
SUOX S370S No Data
SUOX A628G No Data
VDR TAQ -/- (CC)
VDR FOK No Data
ACAT1-02 -/- (GG)
AHCY-01 -/- (CC)
AHCY-02 +/- (AG)
AHCY-19 -/+ (CT)
BHMT-01 No Data
BHMT-02 -/- (CC)
BHMT-04 +/+ (AA)
BHMT-08 -/- (CC)
SHMT C1420T -/- (GG)

Very unfortunate if it's correct?

nanonug

Can someone clarify the following?

A or T (A=T) is +
G or C (G=C) is -

No, you have to look at each individual SNP to find out which allele is a plus or a minus. Each SNP is different.

For example, you are "TT" for MTHFR A1298C, correct? Looking at the spreadsheet, under rs1801131, we see "+C/-A". Because "A=T", this means you are "-/-".

Repeat for the rest of the genes.

By the way, you are homozygous for the MTHFR C677T polymorphism ("TT" = "+/+") which is not so good. At the very least, you need to supplement with some methylcobalamin and methylfolate. The exact amount, I am afraid, will have to be determined by trial and error, based on how you feel and/or a Methylation Panel test.

nanonug

Has anyone tried supplementing with any of Yasko's RNA specific solutions?
http://www.holisticheal.com/rna-products/msf-rna

I have not.

In any case, many people think this is just a revenue generating thing. The body is literally "drowning" in RNAses to be able to digest as much exogenous RNA as possible. The idea that Yasko's RNA would be able to survive this "digestion" is an extraordinary claim and thus requires extraordinary amounts of evidence, which does not appear to exist.

richvank

I have not.

In any case, many people think this is just a revenue generating thing. The body is literally "drowning" in RNAses to be able to digest as much exogenous RNA as possible. The idea that Yasko's RNA would be able to survive this "digestion" is an extraordinary claim and thus requires extraordinary amounts of evidence, which does not appear to exist.

Hi, nanonug.

I suspect (but don't actually know) that her RNA formulations are liposomal, so that the RNAs are able to get into the cells. This is just a guess, since she doesn't reveal much information about them.

Best regards,

Rich

hixxy

I've noticed in my reading that a lot of highly sensitive people seem to have trouble tolerating the RNAs. Unlikely they'll be much use for me!

LaurieL

Does anyone have the rs numbers for the SNP's given on the genovations Phase I and Phase II detoxification genes and enzymes listed? I cannot load promethease as my main system will not support it.

Laurie

nanonug

Does anyone have the rs numbers for the SNP's given on the genovations Phase I and Phase II detoxification genes and enzymes listed? I cannot load promethease as my main system will not support it.

I don't know but would like to find out/contribute. Why don't you start a new thread just for this purpose? We could all then contribute and you could summarize everything in the first post. What do you think? (This thread is too long already...)

Or maybe a new forum group called Nutrigenomics, for instance, is in order? Does anyone know what is necessary to create one?

greenshots

My family and several friends have used alotta of the comforting ones but only 2 of the mutation specific RNAs--the CBS & MTR/MTRR RNA's and have had very good results. I felt like I was going to die when I started these up with my first doctor. She said to take these at "low doses" of 5 drops twice a day! Well that apparently wasn't low enough for me because I was literally bed bound again after making progress! So when I started up with my new doctor a few years ago, I was terrified of ever trying it again. But she was patient and walked me through it slowly and said I had to start at 1-2 drops of the RNA mixed with a full bottle of distilled water and then I should only take 1 drop of that mix! It sounds crazy but it was the only way I could get through it and my ammonia and taurine levels have stabilized beautifully. In my son's case, he stopped having seizures altogether and he was uncontrolled before that in spite of being on 3 rx's for that! I didn't have my Yasko panel done since I had to check all 3 of my kids before I could justify doing mine. So, we were working on the presumption that I had the CBS 699T cuz my son had two copies of this defect. It turns out, I have BOTH copies of this defect plus a partial minor one, the 360! Anyway, any time I started to get impatient to start higher doses and "get it over with" I detoxed virus so bad I thought I would actually die from it. I had shaking chills, deep bone cold racking chills like a pneumonia patient, and was so lethargic and fatigued I barely could get to the bathroom on my own. In fact, my husband had to carry me to bed more than once (good thing I was also wasting away to absolutely nothing to spare his back!). But when I used it like my new doctor said, I could do it just fine, even though I'd feel it just a little. Now I'm on 2 drops of the concentrated CBS & NOS RNA and doing so well! I just can't believe the difference sometimes! I'm no longer bed bound at all & am 70% to my previous, type A personality & health, although I know to pace myself better now to avoid crashes.

My daughter is on the ACE RNA and boy what a difference! She was a crazy little stress cadet but is now so much calmer and doesn't have panic attacks or nightmares anymore. The ACE is a big one for hellatious levels of anxiety and she sure was! Anytime a storm would come she would be terrified and had to sleep with us and then, she barely slept. Now she sleeps like a baby! My neighbor's mom uses this one for her high blood pressure and says that for the first time in years she has normal BPs without being on 4 medications! I haven't tried it even though I have the ACE but wish I had during my POTS/bedridden phase since this defect is so big with orthostatic hypotension & electrolyte imbalance Since the CBS can dump sulfur, it triggers the ACE somehow in the flight/fight reaction so this is a huge part of the adrenal fatigue too. One things for sure, if I get any of those symptoms again, I'm going on the ACE RNA too. I only use 4 drops twice a day with my daughter so it lasts me at least 6 months, probably more. My doctor says that even low doses are better than nothing and since you had nothing to help balance it before, a little goes a long way. Its probably when that defect totally overwhelms you or you develop the high BPs that you'd need more than that but so far, so good.

My best friend is on the MAO-A RNA and loves it! She says her anxiety and sleep are so much better that she finally feels normal again. I have a partial defect here but my doctor doesn't recommend using the RNAs for partials unless they are more serious like the MTRRs and CBS 699. She says she'd rather uses the resources for bigger priorities or other things.

My doctor doesn't think most people need to be on the mutation specific RNAs forever but since I have so many of this critical CBS & NOS ones, she wanted to get these under better control. She says I could probably come off of them eventually and go to the CBS-NOS capsules and other things to watch those areas but I'm probably staying on it. I'm not going back down that road again or taking any chances! I thought the price would be a big issue since everyone talks about that all the time whenever they hear anything about the RNAs ($85-bottle) but it really hasn't been an issue cuz the bottle lasts me about a year and my kid's lasts 6 months. I have capsule supplements that cost $30/month and are more expensive by far! I take Indole 3 now to prevent cancer (heavy family history and the CyP1B1 defects, etc) and its $28/month so price has not been an issue there at all. But I can see how the comforting ones would be more of an issue so I only increase the dose when I'm detoxing to beat the band and mostly save them for the kids and we coast without them in between. I'd love to be on those all the time at 1/4 dropper twice a day but with us all on a mixture of things, we have to save somewhere. But if I hit the lotto it would be Nerve Calm, Comfort Support, Stress Foundation, General Inflammation, & Anxiety RNA every single day!

Anyway, hope this helps!
Angela

PS: Here is a link to a website that shows the basics so that stuff like heartfixer makes more sense. Dr. Roberts (heart fixer) based his stuff on Dr. Yasko's and even though its a heck of alott better than Dr. Yasko's convoluted explanations, I've always liked this site for the basics and a more user friendly diagram. My doctor wanted people to understand it better and have less scary visuals.

Nutrigenomics education site:
http://autismnti.com/yourbodyschemistry.html

http://autismnti.com/images/Technical_Methylation_12-6-11.pdf

http://autismnti.com/images/Website-_Yasko_Education.pdf

Has anyone tried supplementing with any of Yasko's RNA specific solutions?
http://www.holisticheal.com/rna-products/msf-rna

LaurieL

I don't know but would like to find out/contribute. Why don't you start a new thread just for this purpose? We could all then contribute and you could summarize everything in the first post. What do you think? (This thread is too long already...)

Or maybe a new forum group called Nutrigenomics, for instance, is in order? Does anyone know what is necessary to create one?

I will start a new thread, but I had an idea first. Tell me what you think. I was hoping to ask Cort when he moves the forum, if he wouldn't start a new category for Methylation Testing and SNP reporting.

I couldn't possibly start a new forum, and I really like this one. I am hoping that Cort might find this complimentary to the site instead of taking it elsewhere.

What do you think?

Laurie

BTW: Greenshots, it made me so happy to read your post. I am so glad you are so much improved! :victory: