• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

AIDS-Like disease spreading in China - anyone heard from hanchuchu?

when i first got infected with XMRV(which is positive now) i thought it was HIV this happened last year i had all the typical ARS like symptoms and i was 100% sure it was HIV, i took at least 12 tests over the course of 8 months PCRs and antibodies and HIV was ruled all the tests were negative, i tested negative 4 times for HTLV as well and my XMRV test was positive, my current symptoms are, brain demyelination, fatigue,brain fog, white thrush, swollen tongue with teethmarks around it, many skin problems, cognitive problems, pain in my spleen,liver, testis, IBS, lower back pain, major sound and light sensitivity, and i feel as if i had a bunch of aunts running around in my brain. My doctor has officially diagnosed me with ME. and to me there is no doubt that XMRV is real and is causing me all these health problems. I was a very healthy guy with a very active life and now i can barely keep up with my job...QUOTE]

Your Dr diagnosed you with ME? I didn't think that diagnosis was given out in the US?! I'm confused!

GG

he said ME only because i am not as tired all the time so basically have not been diagnosed with CFS, he said that it looks more like a mild form of encephalitis, but that's only because he really didn't know what to do with all my symptoms because they are so man,y but he did say that it sounded kinda like an HIV infection as well... which has been ruled out many times

ixchelkali

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1010095

Clinical Symptoms

The first patient, a 42-year-old male farmer, presented with fever (temperatures of 39.2 to 39.7C), fatigue, conjunctival congestion, diarrhea, abdominal pain, leukocytopenia, thrombocytopenia, proteinuria, and hematuria. Later, a unique group of hospitalized patients with acute high fever with thrombocytopenia was identified. We analyzed only 81 patients with laboratory-confirmed SFTSV infection who had a complete medical record for the clinical spectrum of SFTS. The clinical symptoms of SFTS were nonspecific, and the major symptoms included fever and gastrointestinal symptoms. Regional lymphadenopathy was also frequently observed (Table 2Table 2
Clinical Symptoms of Hospitalized Patients with Laboratory-Confirmed SFTS.). The most common abnormalities on laboratory testing were thrombocytopenia (95%) and leukocytopenia (86%) (Table 3Table 3
Laboratory Findings in Patients with SFTS.). Multiorgan failure developed rapidly in most patients, as shown by elevated levels of serum alanine aminotransferase, aspartate aminotransferase, creatine kinase, and lactate dehydrogenase. Proteinuria (in 84% of patients) and hematuria (in 59%) were also observed. Among the 171 confirmed cases, there were 21 deaths (12%). However, it is not clear how SFTSV caused these deaths.

This is interesting, but it doesn't appear to be about the same disease. The "AIDS-like" disease symptoms didn't mention high fever or thrombocytopenia. I think the severe fever with thrombocytopenia syndrome (SFTS) is a different new disease in China.

ixchelkali

I, too, think our illness is transmissible by saliva.

Judy Mikovits spoke of this possibility in April 2010. http://www.iacfsme.org/Portals/0/pdf/IACFS-Attachment4-April2010.pdf

It is important NOT to think only of HIV when considering modes of transmission. Body fluid means ANY body fluid, blood was proven in the Science paper, but one can also consider saliva, vomit, urine and feces. XMRV is a gammaretrovirus (simple) and these tend to be much more stable than HIV and HTLV1 which are complex retroviruses. XMRV has been demonstrated by us in the science paper to be very stable and easily transmissable CELL Free unlike its cousins HTLV (which is tightly cell associated) and HIV, which is very labile and not stable in vomit feces or urine and while it can be shed and theoretically transmitted in saliva this is rare as it is labile cell free as well.. the flu like illness and gastrointestinal issues are consistent with stability in other body fluids and particularly in acidic environments such as the gut and urineWe have isolated infectious XMRV from saliva and prostatic secretions to date and tested its stability. These are unpublished data and we await the development of a quantitative viral load assay, but when we can quantify the stability, my hypothesis is that XMRV is the most stable human retrovirus to date and while no human retrovirus (or animal retrovirus is transmitted airborne) our hypothesis is that we will find the transmission is in other body fluids and outbreaks occur because of the stability of XMRV in other body fluids.

I also seem to remember one study that looked at this, maybe at last year's CROI (???), but I can't find it right now. I know that the other common gammaretrovirus, feline leukemia virus, is thought to be spread through saliva.​

And yet, that can't be the whole story, or more people would have it. Epidemiologically, it doesn't fit. Maybe it's like feline leukemia virus that way, too, because some cats can live in the same household with a cat with FLV and not get it. Others become infected with the virus but remain asymptomatic, but shed live virus.​

There's a whole lot more research that needs to be done on this. Meantime, we sit here waiting for answers. But we're getting good at asking the questions...​

currer

Please everyone, remember this chinese disease is NOT ME/CFS. People here seem to be assuming it is!

taniaaust1

Their illness sounds as if its also a connective tissue thing seeing they get hardening of skin/organs etc

Seeking Revenge
A person who wishes to remain anonymous revealed that between 2008 to 2009, an Internet group called Harbor, consisting of more than 240 AIDS-phobia patients, formed a tourist group to donate blood in big cities between Shenzhen and Shanghai. They attempted to spread the virus and increase the number of infected people so that the state would start to pay attention to the disease.

As these AIDS-phobia patients do not test positive for AIDS or any known infectious virus, they passed the blood test. Later, blood containing the unknown AIDS-phobia virus entered the blood supply. Lin Fengs mother, who received infected blood in a blood transfusion at a hospital in Shanghai, spread the virus to her whole family, suggesting the Harbor movement has already had an impact.

Members of Harbor also wander around on busy streets. They spread the virus to all the prostitutes they meet. By 2009, many prostitutes in night clubs and on streets had become infected.

A woman in Shenzhen with Internet moniker The End said her whole family had died after being infected with the disease. Afterwards, she said, she had sex with men to infect them.

A lady named Fear from Xiang Fan City in Hubei Province is still infecting people. One of 50 people who participated in a CCDC examination admitted that he has donated blood in the past and spit in a colleagues cup to spread the virus.

These patients keep their lives hidden from others. Besides discussing their individual symptoms with fellow patients, they would not let others know their situation, even relatives who have become infected by them. They say they are afraid of being discriminated against, hated, and abandoned.

It is difficult to determine how large the group is because of the information blockade in China and the groups tendency to self-isolate. Those who take part in Internet groups come from all parts of China and from all walks of life; the majority of them are still young.

quote from http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/content/view/37509/99999999/1/1/ . Umm that sure would make a great Doomsday film, it could be a blockbuster... any filmmakers about?

Maybe that is what that group needs done.

taniaaust1

I also seem to remember one study that looked at this, maybe at last year's CROI (???), but I can't find it right now. I know that the other common gammaretrovirus, feline leukemia virus, is thought to be spread through saliva.

And yet, that can't be the whole story, or more people would have it. Epidemiologically, it doesn't fit. Maybe it's like feline leukemia virus that way, too, because some cats can live in the same household with a cat with FLV and not get it. Others become infected with the virus but remain asymptomatic, but shed live virus.

Im sure what we have and what they have too is spread by saliva. I had an ex who used to come down ill for days (sore throat, up glands..sick in bed) after I'd kissed him... on kissing reexposure to me again once well weeks or a mth or so later, he'd get ill again. He got sick from me on three different occassions over a matter of mths, he was convinced I was giving him something. Obviously "most" peoples immune system can fight off whatever we carry.
(what I dont understand is one would think one would become immune to it once one had caught it once and wouldnt get symptoms again unless Im giving off a virus which rapidly changes like the common cold virus does).

My sister has CFS symptoms for past year after drinking accidently out of a cup I'd drunk from and left half filled.