• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Doing the protocol - extreme reaction to A-B12. Advice needed!

Hi Fredd, and any one else who has been there!!

I just need to know I'm going in the right direction with the protocol as I'ts a bit rough at the moment and I feel like stopping!

Things had improved and the headaches had decreased. However they've come back with a different type of pain. Seems more like nerve pain in the muscles on the back of my head, down the sides of the face, around jaw joints and ears. Some days it's worse on one side than both and I've had strange tingling on the back of my head for a few seconds occasionally? The skin on my forehead is still so sensitive I can't wear my glasses for long.

Also, prior to the protocol I was walking my dogs 1 hour daily, now I feel so tired and weak all I can manage is 15 minutes and am very sleepy tired. (This has it's positive side as I'm sleeping through the night for the first time in years!).

I'm still taking a pinch of Folapro. Increasing slowly, as when I tried a larger dose I couldn't tolerate the headache. I'm on 1x half Methyl-B12 (5000mcg), 1Ad-B12 and have just added L-Carniine fumerate. Also, taking 3 x 99mg Potassium and am wondering if I should put this up.

Do you think these are 'start-up' affects and are due to the protocol working, and taking me in the right direction?

Wini.

Freddd

Hi Fredd, and any one else who has been there!!

I just need to know I'm going in the right direction with the protocol as I'ts a bit rough at the moment and I feel like stopping!

Things had improved and the headaches had decreased. However they've come back with a different type of pain. Seems more like nerve pain in the muscles on the back of my head, down the sides of the face, around jaw joints and ears. Some days it's worse on one side than both and I've had strange tingling on the back of my head for a few seconds occasionally? The skin on my forehead is still so sensitive I can't wear my glasses for long.

Also, prior to the protocol I was walking my dogs 1 hour daily, now I feel so tired and weak all I can manage is 15 minutes and am very sleepy tired. (This has it's positive side as I'm sleeping through the night for the first time in years!).

I'm still taking a pinch of Folapro. Increasing slowly, as when I tried a larger dose I couldn't tolerate the headache. I'm on 1x half Methyl-B12 (5000mcg), 1Ad-B12 and have just added L-Carniine fumerate. Also, taking 3 x 99mg Potassium and am wondering if I should put this up.

Do you think these are 'start-up' affects and are due to the protocol working, and taking me in the right direction?

Wini.

Hi Wini,

Seems more like nerve pain in the muscles on the back of my head, down the sides of the face, around jaw joints and ears. Some days it's worse on one side than both and I've had strange tingling on the back of my head for a few seconds occasionally? The skin on my forehead is still so sensitive I can't wear my glasses for long.

The much greater awareness of the nerves and muscles is very typical of a successful startup. These feelings can get very intense. The hypersensitivity of the skin is typically a road sign on the way back to normal sensation. The intermittent tingling appears to happen as healing is starting up. There can be sudden electrical or painful jolts, seconds to minutes of intense tingling and finally a steady tingling that decreases to hypersensitive sensation. I used to have spasms and pain in all my jaw muscles but no actual TMJ problems. They all went away over about 12-18 months. I used to have abnormal sensation over my entire body. That has been normal after about 24 months except for my feet and lower legs and certain areas in my arms and hands. These are my key indicators at the moment as to which direction my neurology is going.

Omega3 oils are essential for the neurological healing, perhaps 2000mg of the EPA-DHA active components a day. This healing puts a big strain on the basics like zinc, vitamin D and A, vitamin C, and E.

Also, prior to the protocol I was walking my dogs 1 hour daily, now I feel so tired and weak all I can manage is 15 minutes and am very sleepy tired.

The sleepiness can be a result of melatonin production normalizing. I went through a whole lot of that as my body changed from narcolepsy and falling asleep at any moment to sleeping at night. It came as a real surprise that I started getting tired and sleepy specifically in the evening as this progressed. It started early in the day and then moved gradually to the evening. It might also be, in part at least, low potassium. If it is low potassium, try an extra dose with a full glass of liquid and maybe a small snack. The potassium can absorb quickly and if it affects what is going on, with quick results. Then you will know.

Getting that full night of sleep is a good sign that things are beginning to normalize. It also helps healing.

L'engle

moogle
Hi Freddd,

Thanks for your continued help to all of us here. :thumbsup:

Do you know of any other source of Omega 3s that is adequate? I seem to have increased bleeding on even 1 fish oil capsule a day.

Freddd

Hi Freddd,

Thanks for your continued help to all of us here. :thumbsup:

Do you know of any other source of Omega 3s that is adequate? I seem to have increased bleeding on even 1 fish oil capsule a day.

Hi L'engle,

How is your platelet count on your most recent CBC? That often is low with mb12/methylfolate deficiencies. I don't know what other forms of omega3 oils might be suitable and work for the intended purpose and what it's effect on clotting might be. I suppose it might depend on whether the effect you note is due to the EPA-DHA or the carrier oil. There are more concentrated omega3 oils that up the DHA-EPA amounts and have less carrier oil. Some people have stated that they have not found the plant based oils as effective as the fish based and some have had good things to say about Krill oil. I'm sure there are others here with thr required experience so maybe you need to start a thread with a suitable title to attract their attention. Good luck.