• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Simplified Methylation Protocol Revised as of Today

aquariusgirl

try some pectasol...and see if that clears the nausea ...or edta, or activated charcoal. (but the last one binds everything incldg food)

maddietod

I'll see which I can find locally (but not the charcoal). I'm also juicing vegetables, hoping to support the cleansing process. Thanks for the tips.

maddietod

Rich, none of your links in the FILES section on Yasko work. I've posted to the group about it.

dannybex

Hi Dan

Some are using Douglas Labs or Pure Encapsulations brands I think - sorry don't have links.

I just started using AOR Advanced B Complex http://www.iherb.com/Advanced-Orthomolecular-Research-Advanced-B-Complex-90-Veggie-Caps/33062?at=0

So far, so good. I'm taking two a day rather than the three recommended because I'm getting lots of B's other ways.

HTH :)
Anne.

Thanks Anne -- Yes, I think it was the Pure Encapsulations brand that I saw mentioned, but will check out Douglas Labs as well. Interesting mix in the AOR Complex...just wondering what made decide to choose that one? :)

d.

richvank

Rich, none of your links in the FILES section on Yasko work. I've posted to the group about it.

Hi, madie.

I'm sorry that you have not been able to access my papers there.

I tried accessing them, and it worked. I've asked others to try it, too, to see if it works for them.

Best regards,

Rich

anne_likes_red

Thanks Anne -- Yes, I think it was the Pure Encapsulations brand that I saw mentioned, but will check out Douglas Labs as well. Interesting mix in the AOR Complex...just wondering what made decide to choose that one? :)

d.

Hi Dan,
I chose that one because it was the only active B complex (minus folinic acid*) I could find on iherb. If one of the other brands becomes available there I'll look at using them. The AOR is a bit pricey. Nice green capsules though. St Patrick's Day in a jar :)

*I haven't determined whether folinic acid is a problem for me yet. I think I've determined that folic acid is detrimental, or at least a certain amount or ratio to active folate is. (The AOR doesn't contain folic BTW that's confusing labelling.)

Are you trialling an elimination of synthetic folic acid Dan? I think it's very much worth experimenting with. I'll post more about my experience in Freddd's thread when I'm a bit more clear on what's going on.

Anne.

maddietod

Yes, Rich, sorry for the confusion about your files. I tried to open every single one yesterday! But today all of the links are working.

Thanks,

Madie

Freddd

Hi Dan,
I chose that one because it was the only active B complex (minus folinic acid*) I could find on iherb. If one of the other brands becomes available there I'll look at using them. The AOR is a bit pricey. Nice green capsules though. St Patrick's Day in a jar :)

*I haven't determined whether folinic acid is a problem for me yet. I think I've determined that folic acid is detrimental, or at least a certain amount or ratio to active folate is. (The AOR doesn't contain folic BTW that's confusing labelling.)

Are you trialling an elimination of synthetic folic acid Dan? I think it's very much worth experimenting with. I'll post more about my experience in Freddd's thread when I'm a bit more clear on what's going on.

Anne.

Hi Anne,

I'm glad you are working your way through this. I had a 50 year head start on you so I already had done a bunch of trials before posting including how to get away with having a little folic acid and still not be deficient most of the time. I can get away with a once a week dose of Country Life dibencozide with folic acid if I preload with 3 Metafolin an hour apart before taking any amount of dibencozide with folic acid. Keep on figuring out how it affects you and pin down what your earliest symptoms of folate deficiency onset are. I've gotten a lot better at that in the past 8 weeks as everything is falls into place.

leela

Hi All,

I wanted to post a little about my three or so weeks on a modified simplified methylation protocol.

I am currently taking
Methyl B12 drops
Methylmate B
one quarter capsule Folacal

I had decided against the Neuro formula (for a variety of reasons) and, in order to avoid folic acid, tried the Innate (food-based) B Complex--
only to discover after I started taking it (brainfog moment) that almost the whole of it is composed of S. Cervisiae, which is a known fungal stressor for me. So I am awaiting the AOR in the mail. Until then I occasionally add P5P.

Of course, as usual, I started a whole bunch of other stuff around the same time as starting this protocol, including a personalised protocol to boost the mitochondria.
This was by accident (my naturopath was not aware I had started the methylation protocol when he prescribed the mito treatment) but seemed like a really synchronous and useful combo.

Anyhow, the thing I notice the most is my sleep is so, so much better. I take the drops at night before bed, and I have been sleeping almost without waking and tossing for the first time in *years*. This alone is worth it, it is such a relief. I do have a bit more stamina, but that of course is relative, and is possibly associated with the mito treatment.

Coincidental or not, I don't know, but I came down with a really bad URI (turns out to have a fungal component) that still has me in its grip ten days later. (This was not herx since I was with other people who got sick the days before and the same day.)

This actually seems really *good* to me, since I haven't had any kind of acute respiratory infection for four years. Feels like it might be a TH1 shift?

I decided against the hydroxycbl and adenosylcbl as they tested as not useful for me via muscle/mora testing from two separate doctors.(Bummer. They were expensive.But they may test as useful down the road, as the terrain changes.)

I decided in favor of the Folacal on Rich's recommendation, because my labs showed it low, and because again, both the above testing methods separately determined it was useful for me at this time.

I have recently added a bunch of homeopathic drainage remedies to help with things that are released from this protocol to be eliminated well.

So, that's my report, and I feel it is positive. I will update as things move along.
I am so grateful to all the posters here who have helped streamline and clarify this important process.

Warmly,
~leela

leela

Crap, that was so much longer than I thought...I'll try to edit--give me a few minutes...

ETA: Too tired now. Just skim :ashamed:

anne_likes_red

Leela, that's a great update! :D

I hope you'll find that the AOR suits you well. My methylation path is littered with rejected B Complexes :rolleyes: but I'm pretty happy with that one.

I noticed in a previous post you said you were using mitochondrial support supplements as well, and I wondered how you were getting on with them.
What are you taking in your mito protocol?

I'm envious of your so, so much better sleep! I'm stuggling on 4 - 6 (on a good night) of broken sleep the past couple of weeks, but I'm feeling good in other ways.
My sleep was longer and unbroken when I was taking some folinic acid (in Folapro), but I'm carefully working out my folate puzzle and I don't want to trial adding it back in for a couple of days yet when I'll have been off it two weeks.
Interesting that you tested well for the folinic (Folacal).

It sounds like you're navigating this whole thing really well Leela.
...Looking forward to your next update!

Anne.

anne_likes_red

Hi Anne,

I'm glad you are working your way through this. I had a 50 year head start on you so I already had done a bunch of trials before posting including how to get away with having a little folic acid and still not be deficient most of the time. I can get away with a once a week dose of Country Life dibencozide with folic acid if I preload with 3 Metafolin an hour apart before taking any amount of dibencozide with folic acid. Keep on figuring out how it affects you and pin down what your earliest symptoms of folate deficiency onset are. I've gotten a lot better at that in the past 8 weeks as everything is falls into place.

Hi Freddd, yes I'm working through this carefully. It's taking a bit of time but it's very enlightening. I'll know more in a few days and I'll post in your folate thread.
:)
Anne.

Rockt

anne_likes_red, you may have mentioned this, but do you supplement the AOR B-complex with anything that might be missing in it, (ie. when you compare it with, say, Jarrow B-right, is there anything you don't get in the AOR - other than folic acid - that you are taking in addition)?

Thanks.

Freddd

anne_likes_red, you may have mentioned this, but do you supplement the AOR B-complex with anything that might be missing in it, (ie. when you compare it with, say, Jarrow B-right, is there anything you don't get in the AOR - other than folic acid - that you are taking in addition)?

Thanks.

Hi Rockt,

I'm not taking that one, but rather just a very basic b-complex without b12 or folate of any form. In addition to it I am taking additional B1, Pantethine, P-5-P and Biotin plus of course the Metafolin, mb12 and adb12. I find that my body misses some of these items. It is really great to have my cheilitis and skin all healing up again.

Freddd

Leela, that's a great update! :D

I hope you'll find that the AOR suits you well. My methylation path is littered with rejected B Complexes :rolleyes: but I'm pretty happy with that one.

I noticed in a previous post you said you were using mitochondrial support supplements as well, and I wondered how you were getting on with them.
What are you taking in your mito protocol?

I'm envious of your so, so much better sleep! I'm stuggling on 4 - 6 (on a good night) of broken sleep the past couple of weeks, but I'm feeling good in other ways.
My sleep was longer and unbroken when I was taking some folinic acid (in Folapro), but I'm carefully working out my folate puzzle and I don't want to trial adding it back in for a couple of days yet when I'll have been off it two weeks.

It sounds like you're navigating this whole thing really well Leela.
...Looking forward to your next update!

Anne.

Hi Anne,

When taking any form of folate the tests usually come out as normal. That has absolutely zero effect on whether a person has paradoxical folate deficiency. That's one of the reasons it is "paradoxical".

anne_likes_red

Hi Freddd,

I was referring to the muscle testing (2 doctors) that leela mentioned.

When I had B12 and Folate studies done about 12 years ago my GP apologised at the time because he said the tests he could order were not likely to tell us what we really needed to know.

Anne.

leela

When taking any form of folate the tests usually come out as normal. That has absolutely zero effect on whether a person has paradoxical folate deficiency. That's one of the reasons it is "paradoxical".

Just to be clear, my blood labs came out low for folinic acid, and two separate doctors muscle/mora tested Thorne Folacal on me with positives, so I took that as a yes. I take the Folacal about 12 hours away from the Methylfolate and B12.

Freddd

Just to be clear, my blood labs came out low for folinic acid, and two separate doctors muscle/mora tested Thorne Folacal on me with positives, so I took that as a yes. I take the Folacal about 12 hours away from the Methylfolate and B12.

Hi Leela,

I found my best results occurred when I preloaded the absorbtion receptors with Metafolin about an hour before the folic or folinic acid, one tablet at the same time to compete and then other doses 6 and 12 hours before. Have you identified your earliest/quickest folate deficiency symptoms?

anne_likes_red

Rockt,

Ultimately it came down to what I could buy at iherb that had only 5mthf as it's folate.
It's difficult to compare because the AOR supplies some of the B's in more active forms.
AOR doen't contain PABA like the B Right does but as far as I can tell it contains everything else. B1 is confusing. It's there in the AOR as Benfotiamine.

I am taking extra B6 (250mg) and extra Biotin (3000mg). The B6 because it seems to work synergistically with magnesium and I'm taking a lot of that. The biotin is a trial.
My diet is quite high in B's (and possibly active folates because I'm taking mutaflor), and I'm looking next at working on bifidobacteria which should improve things further I think.

HTH
Anne.