• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lancet Article by Gkikas Magiorkinis:April 2011

SilverbladeTE

That would explain also why ME/CFS has always had such low govt. funding.

If this does turn out to be it, then this will make MASSIVE news world over. Like i dont think we can even contemplate how big a splash this would make.

yes, as I've said, it would bring governments down, change things, and thus, we are left to rot and die...
but it's insane, the causitve agent will inevitably mutate and bcome more transmissiable or harmful
Imagine AIRBORNE ME/CFS!! gah!
even if it doesn't, the continued toll is far worse than any war has ever been.
17 million today we think...and more..and more..as time passes.
the financial costs are staggering, the Human cost is a quiet apocalpyse.
only a lunatic does that..and they are indeed,just lunatics who only see a short term gian versus long term catastrophy

Enid

Fascinating ukxmrv - Department of Zoology - I did think in my early days of disbelief all round that I would be better off with a Vet ! - (as can happen when you're falling about iller and iller and being called well)

Forebearance

What a great article! I'm so glad he wrote it.
Watching the public awareness ads on tv for autism awareness day, which was a couple days ago, made me feel really sad. We really need the truth to come out about XMRV, no matter what it is. Even if it is something scandalous like people getting it from vaccines. The world deserves the truth about this.

Rrrr

the last line of the article in lancet says, "GM is supported by a Wellcome Trust grant." GM is the author. so what does THAT mean? the Wellcome Trust is anti-me/cfs, right?

Gamboa

the last line of the article in lancet says, "GM is supported by a Wellcome Trust grant." GM is the author. so what does THAT mean? the Wellcome Trust is anti-me/cfs, right?

Hopefully it won't mean that GM is soon to be out of a job. He might have just made serious some enemies with this daring hypothesis. Or, and I hope this is the case, he has helped bridge the gap between the "XMRV as contaminant" group and the "XMRV as human pathogen" group.

Gamboa

This enjoyable little article contains a wealth of information about what can go wrong with biological products and contamination. http://www.vaccinetruth.org/fda_workshop.htm
It was posted here about six months ago but is worth reading again as we have all no doubt got better at this subject.
XMRV can be no surprise really to these chaps.

Currer,

Thanks for this. It took me a while to get through this but it was well worth it. I had always heard conspiracy theories about the dangers of vaccines but had no idea that there was actually some truth to some of the claims.

I visited a friend recently, an infectious disease physician at a major hospital, and mentioned some of the history behind vaccines that were contaminated with certain viruses and he was surprised. He is someone who has always advocated getting vaccines and insisted they were safe yet now I find out he is unaware of some of the past problems with certain vaccines. They didn't teach that in medical school and the vaccine companies that court the I.D. docs of course keep quite about any past vaccine contamination issues. I know I shouldn't be surprised by this but, once again, I am.

Hopefully history didn't repeat itself but I have a strong feeling that it did.

ukxmrv

Rrrr, it's why I was worried about a possible "career limiting move". Not only did he bite the hand that feeds him (Wellcome Trust) but he went up against a colleague who is a Fellow at Oxford. Very brave.