• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lyme Disease, a severe epidemic condition the medical establishment refuses to acknow

*GG*

ledge.

by Ethan A. Huff, staff writer

(NaturalNews) It is a condition that afflicts more people every year than AIDS, West Nile Virus, and Avian Flu combined, but that receives little attention from the mainstream medical establishment or media. Lyme Disease, which according to statistics from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) infects 325,000 new people every year, is a complex, systemic inflammatory condition that often leads to chronic fatigue, joint and muscle pain, autoimmune disorders, neurological problems, and even death -- but many medical professionals continue to dismiss it as a made-up disease, leaving victims with no recourse or treatment options.

The Alliance for Natural Health USA (ANH-USA) explains in a recent report on Lyme Disease that because the condition is complex and displays itself uniquely among different patients, many doctors dismiss sufferers as hypochondriacs, much like they do to those suffering from fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, and Morgellons disease. But potentially millions of Americans now suffer from the condition and either are unaware of it, or can do nothing about it, because most insurance companies hold the same view as conventional doctors that the disease does not actually exist, and thus does not require treatment.

Lyme Disease, however, is real, and is believed to be caused by an infection bacterial lipoproteins (BLPs) from over 300 different strains worldwide. And it is because there are so many strains that, some experts believe it is able to bypass the immune system and chronically infect patients and diverse ways. And the bacteria literally infects virtually every tissue and organ of the body, which makes it very difficult to pinpoint and diagnose, but also extremely severe and debilitating.

Chronic Lyme Disease (CLD), the official name given to the chronic condition, is believed to cost over $2 billion a year in attempted treatment costs, according to a report in the journal Contingencies. The condition is often misdiagnosed and mistreated, however, which accounts for much of these costs. And most insurance companies refuse to reimburse for such treatments unless they are for recognized conditions. In other words, unless it fits into a typical, Western medicine category of diagnosis, then it does not exist and is not worthy of coverage.

But Lyme Disease patients are among the most afflicted as far as chronic conditions go because symptoms often keep patients in a perpetually debilitated condition. And current diagnostic methods used by the the few doctors that even acknowledge the disease are 90 percent ineffective at both detection and differentiation of the unique infection types involved -- which results in ineffective treatment attempts in many cases.

Fortunately, many alternative doctors have developed customized Lyme Disease therapy protocols to help patients treat and even overcome the disease. These include integrative approaches involving vitamins, nutritional supplements, herbs, antiviral and antibacterial nutraceuticals, Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, intravenous vitamin C, and traditional Chinese medicine (TCM), among others.

To learn more about Lyme Disease and some specific ways in which to help treat it, visit:
http://www.naturalnews.com/lyme_dis...

You can also visit www.NaturalNews.TV and search the keyword "lyme" to view videos about Lyme Disease.

Also, be sure to check out the documentary Under Our Skin, which exposes the hidden story of Lyme Disease, and follows the stories of both patients fighting the disease and physicians fighting to get it more recognized.
http://www.underourskin.com/film.html

Sources for this story include:

http://www.anh-usa.org/httpwww-anh-...

*GG*

I believe there are some Lymies on this board, and perhaps others who suffer from ME/CFS and Lyme, so thought I would post this.

GG

Thank you. I probably have undiagnosed and untreated lyme.

Read somewhere that former president George W Bush had lyme disease.

I have had CFS/Fibro for 18 years or more. I was able to live a low level life so to speak until 5 years ago. Everything changed to the worse. Besides the flu like feelings, brain fog, tingling in hands and feet, I Started having chest pains. Then shortness of breath. Found my thyroid was low, it was treated but things still continued to get worse. Was in the ER on and off, test after test with no help so I gave up on the doctors. Became HOME/BED bound. I started having arthritis, every where, one winter I watched my fingers turn with pain. RA was ruled out. Positive ANA high titer Homo but Rumy still said no to Lupus. I'm torn with that thought un until now. I am waiting on my XMRV test to come back. All the talk of Lyme got me thinking, 6 years ago I was bitten by a tick and got the bulls eye rash. The doctor said no Lyme in TN and I was fine. I think I had another "doctor gone wrong". Looking back it was 6 months or later is when all the other things started happening. The Rhemy blamed it all on CFS/Fibro but I kept saying I have had that for over ten years, its not that. But he said it was. Well, now I think its been Lyme along with my CFS/Fibro that has put me from a low level of living to HOME/BED bound, sick every day. I found a lyme doctor and TODAY I am going out of town to see him, and hopefully treated for Lyme. Which I have learned is almost like treating CFS/Fibro, nothing may work. :( BUT, I am hoping it works for me and will keep this thread in touch with the out come. I use to do a lot of landscaping on my home, my guess is MULCH comes loaded with ticks. I just about rolled it in. Damn brain fog! What was I thinking!?? I lost my business from CFS/Fibro, did I loose my husband (which was not a loss) my years of savings and 5 years of my alreadly limited life to a tick that could have had two weeks of treatment to have gone away "IF" a doctor would have just listened and did his research. I am thinking so. Going now to get ready for my road trip! I hope I make the 4 hour drive.

Hi Linksey,
I noticed in your post you mentioned TN... That is where I am and have often thought of seeing a LLD. I just didn't know who. If you don't mind, keep me posted and let me know what you think of the doctor you see. Good Luck
Lee Ann

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
Vancouver Sun

http://www.vancouversun.com/enterta...ined+diagnose+Lyme+disease/4518329/story.html

-- B.C. doctors are failing to comply with a requirement to report all cases of Lyme disease to public health authorities and are confused about diagnosing it, according to a report published in the current B.C. Medical Journal.

Humans can get Lyme disease if they are bitten by an infected tick. The black-legged, sesame-seed-sized tick is found throughout southern B.C

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/health/...Lyme+disease/4518329/story.html#ixzz1I37XqnNN

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
Vancouver - $2 million

B.C. announces $2 million to study fibromyalgia, Lyme disease, chronic fatigue
Rebekah Funk, The Canadian Press
Wed, 30 Mar 2011 17:22:00 CST Share |

VANCOUVER - Health officials in British Columbia announced $2 million for a study and new centre that will focus on screening, diagnoses and treatment of patients with fibromyalgia, Lyme disease and chronic fatigue syndrome.

The goal of the study and a new clinic initiated by the Ministry of Health and Provincial Health Services Authority is to accurately diagnose the complicated conditions, and provide treatment and ongoing symptom management to patients.

Ryan Jabs, spokesman for the Health Ministry, said the plan has been in the works for quite some time but was announced now to address recent public concern that the province lacked proper health infrastructure to diagnose and treat patients with chronic illness.

B.C. doctors have been accused of drastically under-diagnosing Lyme disease, in particular, and failing to report the cases that are diagnosed, as required.

In the past many Canadian patients sought treatment for these conditions in the United States, but Jabs said the new centre will educate local doctors on what to look for.

Jabs said it will be a hub for provincial family doctors and will provide an educational component so medical practitioners can accurately recognize and diagnose the chronic conditions.

"There's considerable debate around the medical community, internationally and locally, on diagnosis and treatment of these types of complex illnesses because there are a lot of symptoms that overlap," he said.

"They're rarer conditions and there's not a centre of expertise. The clinic will help that."

He said exact details regarding the scope of the study and clinic are in the works, but aren't expected until the summer. Officials hope to have the study up and running up the fall.

Health Minister Mike de Jong said the additional funds mean B.C. will take a leading role in this area of research.

"I hope that B.C. can help to positively impact patients across the country by studying these illnesses and learning ways to help patients manage their symptoms," he said in a news release announcing the funding.

Currently, the cause of these debilitating illnesses is unknown, though doctors suspect an infectious agent may play a key role in a patient's development of chronic diseases.

Recent genome science breakthroughs in DNA sequencing and computer analysis have doctors hoping they'll have some answers to these complex health issues soon.

About 343,000 Canadians are afflicted with fibromyalgia, a condition that results in chronic pain and stiffness in the muscles and joints, poor sleep and fatigue. Women are approximately 17 per cent more likely than men to develop the illness, according to the federal public health website.

Others with acute Lyme disease were able to be treated with antibiotics to prevent the development of chronic Lyme disease, but in some cases the medication does not prevent the onslaught of the chronic condition.

http://www.mysask.com/portal/site/m...x.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken

*GG*

Hi Linksey,
I noticed in your post you mentioned TN... That is where I am and have often thought of seeing a LLD. I just didn't know who. If you don't mind, keep me posted and let me know what you think of the doctor you see. Good Luck
Lee Ann

You ladies might want to check out this article, your "lucky" I remembered.

New tick-borne infections emerge in TN
By Jenny Upchurch, The Tennessean, Nashville, Tennessee

March 26, 2010
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20110326/NEWS01/103260333/New-tick-borne-infections-emerge-TN
or http://tinyurl.com/49l2kpb

GG

Hi Lee Ann,
There is a doctor near Nashville but he does not take insurance. I went to Tunica Mississippi to see Dr. Callaghan. He takes insurance and does this as what he called a hobbie. LOVE him! I have seen so many doctors but not one like him. He ran test on hormones and many came back low and he is treating them. Along with a Yeast treatment. The plan was to go on antibotics after that since I had the bulls eye rash. He called today and the test came back positive! I knew it, I just can not believe I have gone on so long like this. I told and told the doctors but as we all know once you are CFS/Fibro they tag you and blame everything on it. I am very sick and he said I am going to get really bad. I have mixed emotions, mostly right now I want to sue a "few doctors" that would not give me the time of the day once I said I was bitten by a tick.
Important you have to have a lyme doctor.
You have to have the right test ran and from the right lab.
I have read IGeneX is the best for Lyme and sure enough that is who he used. :)
The test was called Initial Lyme Panels $410.00
I am not sure how much insurance will cover but I think Medicare will cover most if not all.
Waiting for my XMRV test any day. This is a lot for me to take in and to deal with. Even with a Lyme doctor you have to do a lot of research or be too trusting.
I am in Clarksville near Nashville, where are you?

His last reply reminded me of the doctor I saw 6 years ago with a bulls eye rash...if you don't feel sick then don't worry.
Wrong! Because when you do start to feel sick they want to say its your CFS or Fibro or something to get you out of the office so they can get there numbers in for the day.

Thanks for posting, I am glad you remembered too. ;)

taniaaust1

B.C. announces $2 million to study fibromyalgia, Lyme disease, chronic fatigue
Rebekah Funk, The Canadian Press
Wed, 30 Mar 2011 17:22:00 CST Share |

VANCOUVER - Health officials in British Columbia announced $2 million for a study and new centre that will focus on screening, diagnoses and treatment of patients with fibromyalgia, Lyme disease and chronic fatigue syndrome.

The goal of the study and a new clinic initiated by the Ministry of Health and Provincial Health Services Authority is to accurately diagnose the complicated conditions, and provide treatment and ongoing symptom management to patients.
[/url]

That's such great news :) . The more countries which really pay attention to us the better.

I'm in BC and have CFS, FM and MCS as some of you already know :) But I got dx'd in the US long ago (been ill 31 yrs now). My husband here also has same and my youngest daughter just got dx'd with FM too... plus i have older kids in the US with one who's had cfs/fm since he was 15 (he's pushing 40 now). I stated this first in order to make my next point... BTW I first got the cebv dx in a small mt town in arizona. Yes a dr in a 'hick town' knew more about cfs way back then ('89) then the drs today do here in the southern interior of BC!

My husband did get dx'd here also in '89 by a local dr...but he died. And since then we haven't been able to find ONE dr who will even entertain the notion that there is such an illness, let alone dx same! They will dx fm but talk as if that is "no biggie' ie not debilitating (they also refuse to dx mcs).

My husband is on disability because of the original dr's dx and help. But since I moved her 13 yrs ago, no dr ... I need to get disability too as I certainly can not work but it's impossible when no drs will pay one whit's attention. For the last two months husband has been very ill, had CT scan etc but they have no clue what's wrong. (he's severe after having 'viral labyrnitis'? ongoing weakness, shaking, etc). Even with all that if they reviewed his disability case today I'm not sure any dr would put his name to the dotted line.

So while I am glad to read this bit of news from B.C. I hate to say that I am NOT holding my breath that the situation will change here anytime soon. There may be a few people in vancouver who get some help now, perhaps, which is great. But considering this is to study several illnesses and it's unknown how many others are out there like me who can't get a dx there's probably a lot more patients than they imagine that need help.

First thing would be to get the dang health ministry to get word to the local drs to pay attention and note that these illnesses ARE real, and that they won't loose their license if they dx and/or treat a cfs patient! THAT is a lot of the problem here... ARGH!

*GG*

Sorry to hear about all your horrible experiences. Please, if you can, help in contests to win money for organizations that will help us, hopefully.

GG

PS See my signature for what is currently going on, and copy it if you want.

Linksey, is mandatory to have bull's eye rash to have Lyme? When the tick bit you, was it pretty noticeable, and did you have to remove it from your body? Does the rash go away after some time?

You ladies might want to check out this article, your "lucky" I remembered.

New tick-borne infections emerge in TN
By Jenny Upchurch, The Tennessean, Nashville, Tennessee

March 26, 2010
http://www.tennessean.com/article/20110326/NEWS01/103260333/New-tick-borne-infections-emerge-TN
or http://tinyurl.com/49l2kpb

GG

Hi, those links are offline. I've found this:
Tick-borne infections emerge in Tennessee

In this article, it says that ELISA serology test is not accurate, and that a special one is done in California. Does anyone know what type of test is it?:
Lyme disease: Invasion of the stealthy bug

Edited: the laboratory that do appropriate tests for Lyme in California is the called IGeneX: http://igenex.com/