• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Low Dose Naltrexone - Anyone in the UK?

Diva55

I saw my doctor today & asked about getting a precription for Low dose Naltrexone. He said he couldn't prescribe it as it wasn't licensed in the UK.

He said if I could find a doctor who was prescribing it in the UK then he may be able to get it that way - don't ask me to explain this as I was in so much pain (the main reason for the visit) that I could barely take in any info.

He also said he has another couple of patients asking about this - so they might be on this board!!

I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me out on this as I'm so fed up with Lyrica & want to try LDN as it sounds promising.

Many thanks

Diva55

LDN doctor

Hi

I live in the UK and Dr Myhill (www.drmyhill.co.uk) has prescribed it for me but I have not started it yet. Dr Myhill is a private doctor so does not work for the NHS but it might be worth contacting her office and asking for advice.

Pam

Hi Pam
I THINK my doctor said he would be able to get a prescription raised if a private doctor was prescribing it. I know that sounds weird but he usually goes out on a limb for me. He battled the medical council for months to get me Lyrica before it was licensed here.

Of course I may have heard that all wrong as I wasn't in a fit state to take in info but I'll follow this up with him.

I thought of Myhill first so that's good she is prescribing it. Can I ask how much you have to pay for it? I'd rather pay the usual NHS 7.40 of course!

Are you taking LDN for Fibro? Good luck with it & I hope you post your progress on it.

Best wishes

Min

It costs me 15 a month plus the private prescription is 5 from Dr W in Bolton

it's posted from a pharmacy in Glasgow

It can't be taken with opiate painkillers

Diva55

Ldn

Hi Min
Thanks for that info. That price seems really reasonable although I'd still like the NHS presciption charge!

I think the chemist you mentioned is Dickson's which has been mentioned in some articles I've read. Seems people in the States are getting it from there as well.

I still can't work out how my NHS doctor can get round prescribing it when its unlicensed unless he makes a case to the medical council again for me. But by asking me to get this info for him isn't the same way he made a case for me with Lyrica.

I'll have to speak to him again as I'm sure I got confused with what he was asking.

How are you getting on with it?

Best wishes

Min

yes, it's Dicksons - I have the liquid as its cheaper.

I've just posted elsewhere - I'm in unbearable all over pain even on half the prescribed dose, & can't take the only my Co-proxamol, the only pain killer that works for me, with LDN as it contains opiates.