• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

TNF-alpha inhibits methioinine synthase transcription (is this the real culprit?)

Mary

Moderator Resource
Hi Vegas,

I had an experience a few years ago that may be relevant. My internist greeted me with the news that I no longer was being alerted for MCV. I had been sent the details and had observed that my MCV was unchanged. What had happened is that the alert level had been changed from >97 to >100. I called the lab and asked about it. I was told that it reflected the change in average MCV. Elevated MCV has now become NORMAL.

Interesting discussion. I just had labs done and my MCV is 99, with 102 being the top of the scale. My levels have been high-normal for several years, my doctor pointed this out to me a few years ago, I think he said the red blood cells enlarge as a sort of coping mechanism because they are anemic. I'm hoping that the methylfolate and methyl B12 and ADB12 will improve my numbers. My energy is still improving, though I go up and down, but have more ups than downs now.

Mary

xrunner

Not to imply that B12/folate do not work to stimulate methionine synthase activity, because they clearly seem to, but this information suggests an alternate approach may exist: TNF-a inhibition. This can be done in a safe/moderate fashion (unlike anti-TNF antibody drugs) using pentoxifylline and various supplements.

Thanks, this is a very interesting article. I was aware that TNFa was major cause of mitochondrial damage but not that it would affect liver detoxification pathways. What I read out of this is that there can be so many things going wrong metabolically for whatever reason that taking a couple of vitamins here or a couple of minerals is hardly a solution.
I tried anti-TNFa herbs, mainly cat's claw and stephania tetranda, and I did experience almost immediate symptomatic relief to fatigue and joint inflammation. However, there hasn't been enough research to suggest that this can be beneficial in the long term. My main doubt is, would anti-TNFa herbs make it easier for chronic infections in the background to proliferate over time? In theory no, because some those herbs are quite complex in the way the act (raise NK cells activity, some anti-viral and antibacterial activity etc) but in the absence of hard in-vivo data that's a chance I'd rather not take.

Freddd

Thanks, this is a very interesting article. I was aware that TNFa was major cause of mitochondrial damage but not that it would affect liver detoxification pathways. What I read out of this is that there can be so many things going wrong metabolically for whatever reason that taking a couple of vitamins here or a couple of minerals is hardly a solution.
I tried anti-TNFa herbs, mainly cat's claw and stephania tetranda, and I did experience almost immediate symptomatic relief to fatigue and joint inflammation. However, there hasn't been enough research to suggest that this can be beneficial in the long term. My main doubt is, would anti-TNFa herbs make it easier for chronic infections in the background to proliferate over time? In theory no, because some those herbs are quite complex in the way the act (raise NK cells activity, some anti-viral and antibacterial activity etc) but in the absence of hard in-vivo data that's a chance I'd rather not take.

What I read out of this is that there can be so many things going wrong metabolically for whatever reason that taking a couple of vitamins here or a couple of minerals is hardly a solution.

Hi Xrunner,

Are you aware that active b12 and methylfolate deficiencies can put a stop to over 600 processes in the body? So it can appear that one has to chase down each of the 600 biochemical chains to see what is going wrong and then somehow "fix" each of them with a specific solution. The problem is the 600 broken processes are not primary causes but rather the results of a more fundamental problem, these deficiencies. As these deficiencies are generally unrecognized as such and if they are, the attempts to correct them are normally done with an inactive cobalamin that is highly likely not to fix more than a few of the things wrong, they become stealth deficiency problems. I don't know that this problem is a result of mb12/methylfolate deficiency but it sure looks like it could be.