• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CDC to Study Vaccines and Autism

SaveMe

Valid point omegaman,
here is the response I always get whenever I try to email the CDC:

(I literally have 6 of these automated replies for just one simple question. When I call them, they place me on hold and burn my minutes, so I never have a chance to speak to them :(
What am I suppose to do?

"Thank you for your inquiry to CDC-INFO.

Your request has been forwarded to the appropriate CDC program for their assistance.

Thank you for contacting CDC-INFO. Please do not hesitate to call 1-800-CDC-INFO, e-mail cdcinfo@cdc.gov, or visit www.cdc.gov if you have any additional questions.

CDC-INFO is a service of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR). This service is provided by Vangent, Inc. under contract to CDC and ATSDR."

Bob

O.K here's what you do CDC. Get unvaccinated homeschooled children and compare and track them vs vaccinated children. Is that so hard? I know several homeschooled children and adults who's parents did not vaccinate them. It's a matter of desire to do the study and money.

It's slightly more complicated than that because, first, the CDC has to design a study which will cleverly select the cohorts such that the final results will be skewed to prove there is no link between vaccines and autism. That's quite a complex task!

*GG*

Why does everything with the CDC take five years?
QUOTE]

Uh, can't rush a good thing? Job security? Don't want to run out of things to study.

GG

PS Check out how many Amish kids have autism, and they are not "regular" participants in our "health care system".

omerbasket

Oh, it would be very surprising to me to find out that they didn't find any connection.
Do they think people believe them?

SaveMe

Environmental factors, toxins, chemicals, vaccines, medicines, etc throw our immune system into a constant state of chaos.

Desdinova

PLEASE! Give me a break already. The outcome of their study is already well known in advanced by everyone. It's just that unlike ME/CFS the CDC can't blatantly state that they won't find anything or that everything will be negative. How about my nephews neurological problems they started a few weeks after his flu shot in 2009. I had a flu shot a few weeks before I came down sick in Dec of 2006. Nope no way there could be a connection between vaccines and numerous disorders and syndromes.

The CDC has to treat this differently and with more tact then us because well when people hear Autism they think of Children. When they hear ME/CFS they go what?????? What's that? When you tell them Myalgic Encephalomyelitis they listen for a minute then ask what CFS stands for. You get about as far saying Chronic Fatigue where they make a derogatory comment and tune out. Why because they think of us as lazy, deadbeats, whiners, wimps etc. My trust and confidence in the CDC goes about as far as I could pick up their entire complex down in Atlanta GA and throw it.

Graham

Senior Moment
I have just caught up with this thread - fascinating!

As a retired teacher, it has always puzzled me why such a large proportion of people with ME have children on the autistic spectrum.

richvank

I have just caught up with this thread - fascinating!

As a retired teacher, it has always puzzled me why such a large proportion of people with ME have children on the autistic spectrum.

Hi, Graham.

In my opinion, from the viewpoint of the biochemistry, most cases of ME/CFS and most cases of autism are the same disorder, and they both have a genetic predisposition, explaining the occurrence of both in the same families. Clearly, there are big differences in the symptoms (the striking brain-related symptoms of autism not being found in ME/CFS) and the epidemiology (who gets these disorders). I believe that these differences result from the different ages at onset. If onset occurs early in life, before the brain is fully developed, this disorder interferes with normal brain development, and the person will be on the autism spectrum. On the other hand, if onset takes place after the brain is fully developed, the person will have ME/CFS. Both disorders share a number of features: oxidative stress, elevated toxins, immune dysfunction, mitochondrial dysfunction, gastrointestinal dysfunction, glutathione depletion, a partial block in the methylation cycle, and others.

I believe that the reason autism occurs primarily in boys, while ME/CFS occurs primarily in women, is that there is a hormonal component involved in the predisposition. After puberty, women have higher production of the estrogens, and the metabolism of the estrogens in women who have certain genetic polymorphisms produces redox cycling, which is an additional bias toward oxidative stress and glutathione depletion that is present in these women. Prior to puberty, the higher testosterone in the boys must make them more vulnerable. Even before puberty, boys have more testosterone than girls do.

The fact that the same treatments (support for the methylation cycle) are helpful in both disorders is further evidence for the same biochemical abnormalities being present in both.

Best regards,

Rich