• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vitiligo? Dr Montoya's Straight Talk

Boule de feu

"We have decided to pay attention to vitiligo..."
(Dr. Montoya - 1:04:20)

HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE CFS AND VITILIGO?
I do. I remember having some spots when I was a child.

About a year or so after my diagnosis (in 2007), I had some weird fasciculation going under my right eye and we noticed that the dark circle under it (this eye only) turned white. The pigmentation disappeared. It was a question of month only.

My doctor said that it is vitiligo - it's weird since it's only on one side.

I said to him: How can I get rid of this? He answered: There's nothing you can do, except you could pray to get vitiligo under the other eye! :Sign Good one:

My husband had a better idea. He could punch me to fix the eye that is white... Pffff!

My son also has vitiligo. So far, no CFS. He is 16.

DO YOU HAVE FAMILY MEMBERS WHO HAVE VITILIGO?

Jenny

I don't have family members with it, but I have it myself. Just on legs and arms. It's got worse as I've got worse over the last few years.

Jenny

determined

vitiligo/cfs

While noone in my immediate family has either cfs or vitiligo, my maternal aunt had severe chemical sensitivites (as did I) and one of my nieces has vitiligo.

globalpilot

I have tiny white spots on both my shins. I think it is vitiligo. I have read a couple of studies saying it is from hydrogen peroxide. I suppose another symptom of oxidative stress.

Boule de feu

Oxidative stress?

I have tiny white spots on both my shins. I think it is vitiligo. I have read a couple of studies saying it is from hydrogen peroxide. I suppose another symptom of oxidative stress.

Thank you for the info.
If it were oxidative stress, wouldn't it be more common in CFSers? We probably need on top of that a genetic predisposition or a mutation of some type.

Wayne

A picture is worth a thousand words. :)

What is vitiligo?
Vitiligo is a relatively common skin disorder, in which white spots or patches appear on the skin. These spots are caused by destruction or weakening of the pigment cells in those areas, resulting in the pigment being destroyed or no longer produced. Many doctors and researchers believe that vitiligo is an autoimmune-related disorder. Although researchers are not exactly sure what causes the autoimmune response, more is being learned every year. In vitiligo, only the color of the skin is affected. The texture and other skin qualities remain normal.

What does vitiligo look like?
Vitiligo appears as uneven white patches on the skin, that may vary from lighter tan to complete absence of pigment. Many people develop vitiligo bilaterally, in other words, if it appears on one elbow, it often appears on the other elbow. Researchers do not completely understand why this is. Others develop what is known as segmental vitiligo, where the patches develop in only one area or on only one side of the body.

vitiligo1.jpg
vitiligo2.jpg

Boule de feu

Wayne - Thank you for the pictures.

Fla - I also remember getting the spots as a child (some 30 + years ago). I was diagnosed with CFS five years ago but was sick for a long long time before.

Vitiligo could be the terrain? A genetic predisposition?
Does it announce that something will go wrong?
Why did Dr Montoya choose this auto-immune disease?

serg1942

Hi all,

I myself suffer from severe CFS and vitiligo.

I was intoxicated with mercury from amalgam fillings when I was 12. When I was 17 I took acutane for acne, and just a few weeks after finishing the treatment, vitiligo appeared in my face. "Luckily", I am quite white if I don't take the sun, so I avoided taking the sun, and when I had to, I put sunscreen, and it was barely noticeable, so I just did not take much attention to it.

When I was 22 I felt suddenly sick with CFS. Now I am 28.

I Do think there's a connection between both conditions, and I have some very interesting info about it. I will ask permission to the researcher who studied my case and related both conditions, and if he agrees I will post this very interesting info.

Best,
Sergio

xchocoholic

http://www.google.com/search?q=viti...-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

I've heard from several people who said that eliminating gluten helped their vitiligo. I don't remember if they were celiacs or not ... not that it matters ... hth ... x

PS. I'm a little surprised that Dr. Montoya didn't mention this. Does he address food intolerances like gluten or dairy ... or celiac disease ? If not, he's missing a huge opportunity here ...

Boule de feu

The timing is about right. I was intoxicated from 6 amalgams when I was 6 years old. I got really sick when I was 18.
I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see the info you have.

Boule de feu

I was tested for Celiac. It was negative. I feel better if I stay away from gluten and lactose products.

I don't know how serious Dr. Montoya is about this research on vitiligo. He just happened to say it very briefly during his presentation. Too bad, nobody questioned him on it.