• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cal/Mag - its role in this and how important is it?

Vegas

Thanks so much Rich.
Lots of great info here, as always!

My dose of charcoal is certainly not hefty. Perhaps that's why it hasn't had much of an effect yet :) I'll try a handful and have extra magnesium on standby. Thanks for the tips.

Anne.

I agree with what Rich stated about needing a robust dosage of charcoal. Activated Charcoal in low doses has no apparent effect on symptoms. I did, however, get some benefit after taking large doses, like 5 grams. It is only mildly constipating, but keeping your GI tract moving is of paramount importance. Good luck.

anne_likes_red

I agree with what Rich stated about needing a robust dosage of charcoal. Activated Charcoal in low doses has no apparent effect on symptoms. I did, however, get some benefit after taking large doses, like 5 grams. It is only mildly constipating, but keeping your GI tract moving is of paramount importance. Good luck.

Thanks Vegas.
I tried about 3 1/2 grams last night with absolutely no ill affects. This morning I have less of a headache, it's virtually gone, and I feel much more clear headed.
Good to know I can probably use up to 5g. Not sure I'd do it every night but if a headache like yesterdays sets in I'll certainly use it again! I'll look for some bigger capsules I think.
Thanks again :)

Rockt

Hi, Anne and all.

On the B6/magnesium connection, Adelle Davis, a pioneer in treating illnesses with nutrition, emphasized the importance of taking these two together. The late Bernie Rimland, founder of the Autism Reseach Institute and the Defeat Autism Now! project, learned this from Adelle, and that project found this combination to be very helpful in autism as well. Autism and CFS have a great deal in common in their biochemical abnormalities.

Best regards,

Rich

So I should get some B6 alone, (ie. not part of B-complex) and try it with my magnesium supplement?

SaraM

Calcium carbonate is key for me. It is the best thing I have ever tried for aching muscles so far. Mag either does nothing or causes more fatigue and dizziness.

Yes, skip the calcium - unless you're on a very weird diet you'll be getting enough to get by for a while without it. Be wary of b complexes though - I feel awful on them and this may be because of the folic acid in them. I don't seem to be alone. Also see Freddd's thread about folic acid blocking metafolin.

Well that would be because we are not using B Right anymore - but this person who just ordered, uses B Right. idk what every one else is taking but I swear by Thorne Basic B and there is no folic acid in it. There is folinic acid in it and my genes require that. it works fine for me. Thorne makes a multi with all active B;s also - one with and one without iron.

So I should get some B6 alone, (ie. not part of B-complex) and try it with my magnesium supplement?

Rich is quoting from 1960's sources. At that time they had only B6 at their disposal. To translate to today's terms and ACTIVE vitamins, that would be P5P. B6 can cause neuropathy over 100mg. So far as I know there is no such issue for P5P.

I think Rich was telling you to take your B COMPLEX with the magnesium. I think he was just citing it as an example of a reason to put the B complex next on your list - not force you to buy another supplement. I take P5P separately in addition to my B complex as P5P is needed to make serotonin, protect the kidneys from glycation, AND as the only drain to the methyl cycle (I want to make sure, sure, sure, I dont get any buuildup of neurotoxin homocysteine).

Rydra

Vitamin D insufficiency dysregulates one of the methyl cycle genes (I think maybe the CBS gene, but I cant remember for sure if that's it). Many people are deficient in D. idk if you are - a blod test would tell. They say it's not good to take vitamin D with insufficient calcium. I am one person who is always insufficient on calcium and no matter how much I take I will never have enough due to vitamin D receptor (VDR) genetic defect. I do not think it is common fo Americans to get enough calcium...but ceryainly not for anyone with the VDR.