• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Another appaling 'how I beat CF (for CFS) article'

leelaplay

These types of articles really frighten me when I think of all the harm they can do people, and the misinformation that they reinforce and spread.

How I Fought Chronic Fatigue: 5 Common Sense Tactics That Really Work

http://www.stopagingnow.com/liveint...onic-fatigue-5-common-sense-tactics-that-work

including:

You wont want to for a long time, and you may not be physically able to at the moment, but I can tell you of nothing thats been more beneficial for me than exercise. I recommend at least 45 minutes of intense, sweaty, go-to-it workout time.

'It’s been many years since I was “officially” diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), '

Seems some doctor threw this gal a bone many years ago with a diagnosis to get her out of his office. I have to wonder because if it was truly ME/CFS 45 minutes of intense exercise should have her totaly disabled for the next week. It really is a shame that this diagnosis is so liberally spread around making it impossible for real PWC to ever get their needs addressed properly. Sorry....but I do not believe she had CFS.

ixchelkali

WHY did I click on that link? Blech! You're right, it's pretty appalling.
"Youre going to have to start training your mind to think that youre not tired. Youre going to have to convince yourself that exercise is not work, but rather your own private time of day that you have all to yourself, and that its something for you to enjoy."
"Get enough sleep."
Sheesh! Even the CDC case definition says fatigue not alleviated by rest, so getting enough sleep obviously isn't the answer.

I'm sure she's sincere. I'm also sure she suffered from chronic fatigue, not ME/CFS, and that her doctor didn't know the difference. When, oh when, will we adopt the Canadian criteria and get physicians trained in its use, so that they can differenciate between chronic fatigue and chronic fatigue syndrome? When, oh when, will they change the name of this disease to help keep people from confusing the two?

At least AIDS patients don't have to listen to people telling them they can cure themselves by training their minds to think they aren't tired. What's more, they don't have people telling their friends and family that they could get well if they'd change their attitude and get more exercise. Pfffft.

SaveMe

This author does not take CFS-ME seriously.

Next, 5 Common Sense Tactics That Work IS SHE CALLING US IDIOTS?

Its common sense cfs people, duhh, you should have already cured yourself by now. Its a play on words

Notice how she says "how I fought cfs" instead of "how i am fighting cfs" ---->this woman is implying that she is cured of cfs, by the 5 simple and common sense ideas she has proposed

" I recommend at least 45 minutes of intense, sweaty, go-to-it workout time."

come on guys, this is just despicable. The intention of the article was to cause chaos, lets get it removed! btw, you can post more than one comment.

Customer Service Department
877-426-8424 (M-F, 9 am to 5 pm eastern time)
or by email at customerservice@stopagingnow.com

http://www.stopagingnow.com/liveint...onic-fatigue-5-common-sense-tactics-that-work

Or comment on the article and let your voice be heard!

Call, email them, or comment on the article-- I sure did. When they get a few more complaints, they will remove this article. This is a slap in the face, and it could only do us harm. Others will read that, and that means it slows down awareness, people dont take it seriously, and ultimately will affect funding.

Edit: 6 members have commented on the article!! Keep up the good work, guys!

here is a pic of the author http://twitter.com/hopesiempre/

EDIT: GOOD WORK team!! THEY DELETED THE ARTICLE THANKS TO EVERYONES COMPLAINTS :D:angel::eek:;)

SaveMe

SaveMe

What do you mean ggingues by "So you are not suffering enough?" I suffer just as much as most people on here do. I have CFS and Fibromyalgia, and most likely POTS which I get tested for next week. Trust me, I have no reason to be here if I was not sick. You can view all of my posts--never had I attempted to sell anything (like some people here do). I want to be outside playing basketball, I want my girlfriend back, I want my job back, I want my personality back, I want my money back, I want my brain and body back, and the list goes on. So to answer your question, I am suffering enough.

I included Yuppie Flu as a distractor, just as any multiple choice quiz has. Yuppie flu
This term was popularized in a November 1990 Newsweek cover story and was never official medical terminology. It reflects a stereotype that CFS mainly affects the affluent, and implies that it is a form of burnout. US CDC research has shown that CFS affects poor people and minorities at higher rates than the affluent and whites. Any one with CFS knows this. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_names_for_chronic_fatigue_syndrome#Yuppie_flu

Dont get so offensive, because all of my other options are legitimate.

*GG*

What do you mean ggingues by "So you are not suffering enough?" I suffer just as much as most people on here do. I have CFS and Fibromyalgia, and most likely POTS which I get tested for next week. Trust me, I have no reason to be here if I was not sick. You can view all of my posts--never had I attempted to sell anything (like some people here do). I want to be outside playing basketball, I want my girlfriend back, I want my job back, I want my personality back, I want my money back, I want my brain and body back, and the list goes on. So to answer your question, I am suffering enough. QUOTE]

What I meant by are you not suffering enough, is that many on this forum who have been suffering for decades are not likely to like the inclusion of "Yuppie Flu" in your poll, it's not a quiz!

GG

PS Most long term sufferers will know the history behind it, thanks for the info.

leelaplay

Shrewsbury, you can delete this post now since no one can view the link you posted! :)

I'm so glad they were responsive to facts about how appallingly wrong, and potentially harmful, the article was :)

Hopefully if they ever write on ME/CFS again, they will have become informed about what the disease is & what appropriate advice is.

one down, still a bit more edumacating to do

SaveMe

I'm so glad they were responsive to facts about how appallingly wrong, and potentially harmful, the article was :)

Hopefully if they ever write on ME/CFS again, they will have become informed about what the disease is & what appropriate advice is.

one down, still a bit more edumacating to do

Shrewsbury,
the last thing that little site needed was conflict, so it made a decision to remove the article for the sake of their business and reputation. And you are right, I would like to have a group alliance to rally other misleading CFS-ME articles out there. It may seem minuscule, but it will have a domino effect.
SaveMe