• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Where is the post on Cort / Kurt and XMRV ?

Ecoclimber

I believe it was a full spread proton torpedo attack by Capt. Cort on the Kinglon's position. Capt. Cort had his full shields up on his starship at the time.

eric_s

Not sure who you are replying to, Eric.
I just wanted to say that i think one should also see that there is a reason people are freaking out a bit. One should see both sides and ask questions regarding the behaviour on both sides.
I have had some contact with Ecoclimber at the time of the controversy around the Miller study and never had any problem with him, to the contrary.
But i thought his posts regarding contamination were a bit questionable. I'm sorry if he takes this personally, but i have to say what i honestly think here. We have no way to validate his reports and the XMRV question is of extreme importance. So i think one should be very cautious when making statements of the kind he has made.

justinreilly

The reason for taking any post like that down is simple, it is illegal to falsely accuse people of lying, including on the internet, that is defamation of character. And generally if an accusation like that is made with no evidence, it is considered false. In this case of course there is no evidence because we are not involved in any conspiracy, and besides that, nobody knows enough for certain about XMRV to lie about it, we are all speculating based on a little data...

Defamation is serious trouble, any forum and the individuals involved can be sued for that type of posting.

just to clarify: defamation is unlawful in the sense that you can sue someone to recover damages for it. It isn't a crime.

The Plaintiff has to show that the statement is untrue.

cigana

I just wanted to say that i think one should also see that there is a reason people are freaking out a bit. One should see both sides and ask questions regarding the behaviour on both sides.
I have had some contact with Ecoclimber at the time of the controversy around the Miller study and never had any problem with him, to the contrary.
But i thought his posts regarding contamination were a bit questionable. I'm sorry if he takes this personally, but i have to say what i honestly think here. We have no way to validate his reports and the XMRV question is of extreme importance. So i think one should be very cautious when making statements of the kind he has made.

I agree Eric, XMRV is so important I think we have to allow a bit of extra "allowance" in terms of forum rules when we debate it. Part of the problem is that people often use anonymous sources or start sentences with things like "I was told...", and while that seems perfectly fine to that person, to others reading who do not have the information first hand it only naturally stimulates suspicion.

Martlet

just to clarify: defamation is unlawful in the sense that you can sue someone to recover damages for it. It isn't a crime.

The Plaintiff has to show that the statement is untrue.

Depends what country you are in. In the UK, the defendent has to prove that the statement IS true.

Martlet

I agree Eric, XMRV is so important I think we have to allow a bit of extra "allowance" in terms of forum rules when we debate it.

Creating deliberate exceptions is the road to chaos. All other forum members would be well within their rights to demand the same allowances on every topic that stirs emotion. If people cannot debate while staying within the rules, which basically amount to the rules of common decency we are all expected to adhere to in society, then they must expect their comments to be moderated.