• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What Happened in the early eighties?

SilverbladeTE

Crappy
best damn line, almost, EVER, is from Babylon 5
Londo Molari, the Centauri ambassador is talking to an Earth general
the Earth general thinks we can defeat the Mimbari if a war starts...considering the Mimabri are many tens of thousands of years ahead of us Humans in technology, that is ridiculous and dumb!
so Londo replies:

"Ah, arrogance and stupidity all in the same package. How efficient of you!"

classic and so apropos of our current issues and woes in world ;)

kurt

I think air travel is interesting as a hypothesis. What also changed in the 80s was transport, particularly the mass import of foreign grown foods to the Western countries. People started getting exposed to new bugs from that, particularly people eating organic foods that had been fertilized in the less developed countries with dung. That might have hit certain age groups the hardest, people who had not been exposed to those pathogens as children, thus having developed no immunity, perhaps due to improved sanitation.

This is one theoretical explanation for the Polio epidemic, improved sanitation during childhood led to a generation with an immune system that had not been exposed to a common entero virus. So when that virus went around, a huge problem emerged, including CFS in many cases (was called 'non-paralytic Polio' I believe).

SilverbladeTE

Kurt
fyi, Arthur C Clarke, the famous writer, had "Post Polio Syndrome" and spent much of his later life enfeebled by it.
which may well just be ME/CFS with a higher chance of paralysis??
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_C._Clarke

In 1961, while filming off Great Basses Reef, Wilson found a wreck and retrieved silver coins. Plans to dive on the wreck the following year were stopped when Clarke developed paralysis, ultimately diagnosed as polio. A year later, Clarke observed the salvage from the shore and the surface. The ship, ultimately identified as belonging to the Mughal Emperor, Aurangzeb, yielded fused bags of silver rupees, cannons, and other artefacts, carefully documented, became the basis for The Treasure of the Great Reef.[25][36] Living in Sri Lanka and learning its history also inspired the backdrop for his novel The Fountains of Paradise in which he described a space elevator. This, he believed, would make rocket based access to space obsolete and, more than geostationary satellites, would ultimately be his scientific legacy

In 1988 he was diagnosed with post-polio syndrome, having originally contracted polio in 1962, and needed to use a wheelchair most of the time thereafter.[28] Sir Arthur C Clarke was for many years a Vice Patron of the British Polio Fellowship

Clarke died in Sri Lanka on 19 March 2008 after suffering from respiratory failure, according to Rohan de Silva, one of his aides.[28][55][56][57] His aide described the cause as respiratory complications and heart failure stemming from post-polio syndrome

Ean Proctor, iirc, his case had severe issues of paralysis? the "elective mutism" etc which got him tortured into "confessing he was faking it" which of course, he wasn't.

I love organic potatoes we get form Tesco ;) but that's good point you bring up, depending on season, some comefrom Egypt...

you know what?
autism...polio...gut infections....hm...interesting?

kurt

Kurt
fyi, Arthur C Clarke, the famous writer, had "Post Polio Syndrome" and spent much of his later life enfeebled by it.
which may well just be ME/CFS with a higher chance of paralysis??
you know what?
autism...polio...gut infections....hm...interesting?

I never knew that about Clarke, another writer with CFS! Yes, all these connections sure are interesting.

justinreilly

I think air travel is interesting as a hypothesis. What also changed in the 80s was transport, particularly the mass import of foreign grown foods to the Western countries. People started getting exposed to new bugs from that, particularly people eating organic foods that had been fertilized in the less developed countries with dung. That might have hit certain age groups the hardest, people who had not been exposed to those pathogens as children, thus having developed no immunity, perhaps due to improved sanitation.

This is one theoretical explanation for the Polio epidemic, improved sanitation during childhood led to a generation with an immune system that had not been exposed to a common entero virus. So when that virus went around, a huge problem emerged, including CFS in many cases (was called 'non-paralytic Polio' I believe).

Kurt, that is very interesting. I hadn't heard that before. Thanks for posting.

valentinelynx

back in the '90s

... early in my illness, the similarities and possible relationship between CFS & Post-polio syndrome was a popular topic in newsgroups and such. Still intriguing.

ukxmrv

During the NZ "Tapanui flu" epidemic in the mid-80's there was a glandular fever (EBV) outbreak doing the rounds as well at the same time.

XMRV+

bullybeef

I have been investigating why ME was defined a neurological disease in the UK over 30 years ago. What was their physical evidence for this definition?

I have discovered the following pdf from long time ME research, Dr. John Richardson, whom concluded ME should be known as Epidemic Myalgic Encephalomyelitis. This was published in the British Medical Journal in 1978: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1604957/pdf/brmedj00128-0006b.pdf?forumid=331851
It was also at this time that ME was considered as a true physical disease entity.

He also lists many diagnostic biomarkers for the disease: http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=9926

I find these are extraordinary facts, and it puzzles me how easily they were removed from use.

I find it incredibly ironic that it wasn’t until 1988 in the UK (just a few years after the Lake Tahoe outbreak) that Wessely became involved and things began to change from then: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2545306/?tool=pmcentrez

BB

Crappy

bullybeef thank you for that. I should have ignored it though, it pegged my frustration meter again.:Retro mad:

bullybeef

Sorry about the Crappy!!

I don't understand how biomedical research was superseded by physcological reasoning. I would have thought psychological theories would be used when all else has failed.

Dr. Richardson was aware ME was physical in nature, he knew the biomarkers to diagnose it, he was aware it effected every system, including the immune system, and he was aware it was common in epidemics.

This data shows the medical community (in the UK) were well aware of what ME was, and then the shrinks came along, ripped apart the blueprint, and redefined from scratch. Why would they do this?

BB

Crappy

What gets me; this information is readily available to any Dr. who looks. It is more evidence that thousands of "practicing scientists" are nothing but QUACKS!!!

They practice with no hint of scientific evidence; and they seem to prefer it???? Worse, they get away with it daily!

If I had done my job like this, I would have never lasted in the profession, how do they? With a government issued license? There is a constant flow of evidence that all medical practitioners should be removed from the profession and given a job they maybe can handle. Like cleaning animal pens. -AaaRrrGh-

I think the proper English term is: Blithering Idiots!

Between Drs., bureaucrats, and politicians; what is killing us is simple stupidity! Incompetence is the rule, not the exception.

I better take a time out. Go kick the cat.

Sorry about the Crappy!!

I don't understand how biomedical research was superseded by physcological reasoning. I would have thought psychological theories would be used when all else has failed.

Dr. Richardson was aware ME was physical in nature, he knew the biomarkers to diagnose it, he was aware it effected every system, including the immune system, and he was aware it was common in epidemics.

This data shows the medical community (in the UK) were well aware of what ME was, and then the shrinks came along, ripped apart the blueprint, and redefined from scratch. Why would they do this?

BB

Why would they do this?

to delay the ability to find the true source(s) of this terrible physical sickness - for whatever reason(s) [please, far be it from me to accuse central govts of being behind this , as i wouldn't want to be charged with instigating mistrust of our enclave] - ; isn't it far more convenient and less financially draining , not to mention avoiding public damnation, to just slide out of responsibility by letting the slippery psychobabblers deflect everything?

Bottom line is, mistakes were made (we aren't yet quite sure exactly where, in terms of origin of the pathogen) , but now the game is "avoid blame" and thereby avoid being financial accountable. In the end, isn't it always about money?

ok, we are certain that the CDC made mistakes.

justinreilly

Sorry about the Crappy!!

BB

To save insurers money and to allow the criminals who denied to stay out of jail. It was no accident or incompetence at the highest levels of the US and UK health services- it is and was intentional cover up executed by waging a well coordinated war on science and patients. The average everyday PCPs were and are just incompetent, biased and too trusting in authority blindly following the governments (in the face of contrary evidence).

Very ironically BMJ, this same journal is at the heart of the conspiracy against us now.

justinreilly

I have been investigating why ME was defined a neurological disease in the UK over 30 years ago. What was their physical evidence for this definition?

I have discovered the following pdf from long time ME research, Dr. John Richardson, whom concluded ME should be known as Epidemic Myalgic Encephalomyelitis. This was published in the British Medical Journal in 1978: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1604957/pdf/brmedj00128-0006b.pdf?forumid=331851
It was also at this time that ME was considered as a true physical disease entity.

He also lists many diagnostic biomarkers for the disease: http://www.prohealth.com/library/showarticle.cfm?libid=9926

BB

Thanks for looking into this, BullyBeef. Our most pressing things to get done, imo, are to get ICD 10 CM sorted out, Reeves and Oxford thrown out (and replaced with CCC) and a name change. These all require, i think, the case be made that ME is in fact encephalomyelitis and to do that it's essential to go thru the historical medical papers. We need someone to write up the case, with everything well cited, for us to submit to WHO, CDC etc. if it hasn't been done already. Margaret Williams may have already done this.

Wondering if you or someone else, hopefully with some assistance could take on this project.

SilverbladeTE

Why would they do it?
because they are evil, egotistical, deluded, compassionless, dishonest, twisted, illegtimate spawns of a sociopathic man-eating camel that got shagged by an inbred pin-headed hyena with terminal explosive gonorrhea of the anus, that's why! *spits*
think that about covers it, doesn't it ladies and gentlemen? :p

pictureofhealth

XMRV - L'Agent du Jour

I find these are extraordinary facts, and it puzzles me how easily they were removed from use.

I find it incredibly ironic that it wasn’t until 1988 in the UK (just a few years after the Lake Tahoe outbreak) that Wessely became involved and things began to change from then: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2545306/?tool=pmcentrez

BB

Excellent find BB. And the ProHealth 'Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' paper is still fairly recent - 2002.

The most interesting part of it is this, as I read it - the comparison between ME and the different types/location of effects of Polio:

"As with poliomyelitis, the symptoms in M.E. are somewhat diffused but do involve the nervous system. We should consider the terms applied to the effects of infection in the nervous system due to the poliovirus, which is the enterovirus.

The term ANTERIOR POLIOMYELITIS referred to cases where the ANTERIOR horns of the spinal cord were chiefly affected. These neurons subserve EFFERENT outgoing neurological impulses. Hence the effects were on the "motor" system with some paralysis.

The term POSTERIOR POLIOMYELITIS was also used to define lesions in the POSTERIOR horns of the spinal cord.
These neurons subserve AFFERENT neurological impulses. The enteroviral groups to which we refer in these guidelines have been shown to have a propensity for, and cause the pathology in these AFFERENT impulse conducting neurons.
Hence, the results are more noticeable to the patient than the doctor, which is not so with poliomyelitis.

These pathological results may not be confined to the nervous system but may result in neurohormonal or other differing end organ effects."

Grape Funk

Why would they do it?
because they are evil, egotistical, deluded, compassionless, dishonest, twisted, illegtimate spawns of a sociopathic man-eating camel that got shagged by an inbred pin-headed hyena with terminal explosive gonorrhea of the anus, that's why! *spits*
think that about covers it, doesn't it ladies and gentlemen? :p

Silver you're a funny dude

Carrigon

Alot happened in the 80's. Aspartame, spread of Lyme, contaminated vaccines, microwave cooking, micoplasma being released via mosquito and dairy vector into the general population. Both HIV and XMRV rose concurrently. GMO foods, growth hormone in the dairy products. The list just goes on and on. I was healthy up until about 85 or 86 and so was my mother. We weren't sick till then. Same with alot of people I know who are sick. We all got hit mid 80's. But prior to that, we were healthy people. We were working out. My mother and I used to watch the Richard Simmons show and exercise to it. We even belonged to a gym together for awhile. We were living real full healthy lives until the mid 80's.

markmc20001

Sorry about the Crappy!!

BB

Great post Bully beef. I think you basically asked the hundred billion dollar question!

Let me restate it slightly. Why have governments had an ongoing policy that allows more infection? Why have governments avoided developing any meaningful treatment, relief, and prevention?

In my mind, there is no doubt the policy is deliberate, or how else could governments keep the same policy without slipping up for all these years? With all different presidents, CEOS of insurance companies etc since the 1980's?

Worst case, if government intentions were half good, they could have decided to spend all those millions on developing stealth treatments instead of keeping the psychobable campaign going on all these years. While all the psychobabble continues the retorvirus spreads into an epidemic. WHo is going to take care of the 1 in 100 autism kids now? WHo is going to take care of me and the rest of us?

Not to mention,the government could have avoided derailing people like Elaine Defreitas who could had all kinds of progress since the 1990's. Her research, if not stiffled, would have lead to prevention maybe. Not to mention remission for others.

I keep coming to the same opinion. It is intentional. It is hard to grasp, but is was not a mistake and there is no logical reason I have heard for allowing an epidemic to go unchecked. Saving disability insurance companies money is not a good enough reason and too perverted to continue on through so many changes of leadership.