• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How many subgroups? "As many as there are patients."

dannybex

I thought this interview with De Meirlier and Hyde was interesting, especially De M's comments about a majority of patients having food intolerance or digestion issues (either months previous to a "sudden" onset or during illness), his impression that there's no 'one cause', and in particular his comment about subgroups (at 7:30 into the interview):

"How many different subgroups do you think would exist within the ME/CFS patients?"

"As many as there are patients."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWHWf1yJRac&feature=related

Enid

Enjoyed the comment on "sub-goups" dannybex "as many as patients" - always felt any attempt on that score was totally artificial and thoroughly unhelpful. One disease - from which the "damage" to various systems may vary.

eric_s

De Meirleir says he's not happy with an improvement of less than 90% in someone under 30. Can he really keep this "promise"? Have you heard of many such outcomes after treatment by him?

xchocoholic

Thanks for posting this ... His treatment is what my integrative doc has been doing too except we haven't focused on all those viruses and bacteria yet ...

He said that his expectations for any of his patients over 50 and with other autoimmune diseases was a 50% recovery. WELL, if I didn't have OI, I might be there but as long as I HAVE to lay down every few hours, I'm still too disabled to function ... bummer ... x