• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Transdermal Magnesium. Promoting detox? Anyone?

anne_likes_red

Anyone using transdermal mg? And has anyone else had a similar experience?

I started using Magnesium Oxide* oil last weekend, applying 100mcg elemental mg last thing at night. The first night I slept very soundly. I did wake at 4am, but feeling like I'd had a full night's sleep. I thought I'd struck gold!
So I repeated the dose the next night and the following morning, I'd crashed with detox symptoms - really painful swollen glands, feeling like my brain and body were wading through molasses or setting concrete...possibly both... :In bed:

I halved the dose the third night, and used none at all yesterday but the detox symptoms feel to be cumulative and show no signs of clearing despite big doses of Vit C (seems to help a little), some microsillica.....even activated charcoal.

Does anyone know - what does Magnesium shift? I've seen aluminium and mercury mentioned as possibles. My symptoms are not typical viral, more like chelation needing drastic support.

Hope this makes sense. Feeling pretty blah :headache:

*Ancient Minerals brand.

caledonia

I have a lot of detox problems also. I take about 1500mg magnesium glycinate powder dissolved in water throughout the day. I haven't had detox symptoms from using magnesium, just a calm feeling, better sleep and it will loosen your stools.

However I have done a lot of detox, metal chelation, methylation support, etc. prior to starting the magnesium.

Are there any other ingredients, fillers, chelators, etc. in the formula? You might be reacting to those, not the mag.

My suggestion would be to stop until you're back to a baseline, then restart at a much lower dose and see if you can tolerate that (trial and error). Or, my new favorite method for determining if a substance is good for you and the dose, is self muscle testing, which you can learn on YouTube.

anne_likes_red

Caledonia,
Thanks for your reply.
According to the bottle, website etc there is nothing but magnesium oxide and water in the solution.
I have some mg citrate powder with nothing else added so might give that a try if after I'm back to a baseline I can't tolerate any of the oil. If I can get glycinate powder next time I might try that.
Thanks for the muscle testing tip too, I've had that done before but it would be useful to see if I could do it myself. :)

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I had trouble with the Sun Foods brand of mag oil. It made me feel very toxic. The source, as I discovered is the Dead Sea. :eek:
I have used the Ancient Minerals instead and had no problems with that one.

anne_likes_red

Dreambirdie, I remembered your experience. :Retro smile: Went back and checked what brand that was. I feel confident AM is pure. I think I must have some major detox issues.....OK I know I do.

I had a holiday at the Dead Sea once. About 4 years into my illness. Did a lot of soaking :eek: :eek:...

dmholmes

I've been using AM magnesium chloride oil off and on in addition to various oral Mg, no problems. Oxide? Is that a typo?

anne_likes_red

I've been using AM magnesium chloride oil off and on in addition to various oral Mg, no problems. Oxide? Is that a typo?

Yes sorry - (I was really sick!) - I meant Magnesium chloride.

I've stopped using it and things have come back to normal over the past couple of days.

At worst, a few days ago, I had nerve tingling in my head and I couldn't stand touch, light or sound. Glands were very swollen and I felt like my body was trying to shift toxins without proper support.
...I often become extra sensitive to light and sound, but I've never had symptoms that bad before.

I'm hoping I'll be able to use the oil again sometime.