• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Muscle pains?

Hello,

I just was wondering if anyone has found a treatment for muscle issues? Mine is a mixture of the common flu-like pain and aching muscles after exercise - but without having exercised.
I tried Magnesium. Did not improve, but worsen my fatigue very much.

What would be your recommendations fr muscle aches and pains?

Thanks and greets from Germany

lucy

I had trinevrina and muscoril prescribed and it removed the majority of my cramps and chest pains once, now I am taking trinevrina again for the trigeminal nerve pain. Strangely enough, magnesium has never helped. I reduce the general inflammation-like feeling if I take loads of fish oil.

I can usually ease some of the muscle pain with heat (epsom salt baths), hot showers, oversized heating pads and trigger point injections. But some times not much helps. I can also say when I tried weaning off of prozac-my muscle pain became intolerable. I have to change positions frequently and use muscle relaxers to sleep. Hope you get some relief!

Sing

membersound,

Muscles aching is what bothers me the most! The cognitive and orthostatic problems are at the top of the list too, but it is the ***aching that I don't like!

Stretching is my mainstay: two longer periods of it morning and night and then shorter stretches as needed during the day. I also work towards better posture, breathing, body mechanics (the Alexander Method teaches this type of thing. Tai Chi ideas help too.) If I don't keep up with my stretching and postural needs, the contractions get worse and harder to fix, so I end up "digging out" for days afterwards. Not worth it, so I try to keep up!

For pills, I find Gabapentin and Acetaminophen helpful for the muscular aching. I also take Naproxen Sodium but that is for inflammation and arthritis in my joints.

Hope that helps,

Sing

klutzo

I agree that stretching is a must!

What helped me the most was increasing my dose of generic T3 thyroid medication (liothyronine) until my TSH was well into hyperthyroid territory, but with no symptoms of being hyper. That reduced the muscle pain by 85% at least.

Creatine powder, 5 grams in water, drunk before any exertion, is also very helpful, and increases strength and endurance. this is esp. helpful if you don't eat much meat, and I don't.

Doctors to look up who can explain the thyroid problem best are Dr. Lowe, Dr. Rind, Dr. Derry, and Dr. Holthorf, among others. I would also look up Mary Shomon, who has written "Stop The Thyroid Madness" an excellent book on this, and who has posted much useful info online.

I used to think these docs were nuts when they said they felt hypothyroid, ie. a low metabolic state was the main component of CFS and FMS, but now I am not so sure, since I got such dramatic results, even being able to drive a car again for short distances.

They point out that CFS and FMS appeared suddenly, 6 years after the "useless" TSH test was adopted as the gold standard, rather than just treating the symptoms until they went away like before, and that TSH is very slow to change to reflect what is going on in the body, so 6 yrs. is just about right for the problems with using TSH instead of treating symptoms to start showing up.

This tx also got rid of about 75% of my fatigue as well. (I have a systemic yeast problem from what Lyme did to my immunity that I feel accounts for the rest of it, and am getting prescription tx for that, but with not much success).

klutzo

Ty so far. Yes I found hot showers help me, too. In spite hot bath who help me getting some relief at the moment, but too beeing worn out the next day.

Sing: The stretching think sounds interesting. I'm rather trying to go for a walk atm instead of stretching. Could you write more about your stretching routine?

leaves: Citrate was the MG i used, yes.

klutzo: I also take Creatine powder, but after exertion. Is it way better to take it before?

I've seen many doc's (endo, nuclear, etc) serveral times for thyroid diagnostics. And everyone agrees that everything's fine with that. So I'm not gonna get someone prescribe me medics for this, even not for testing.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Membersound - Just make sure that your thyroid is checked correctly. My endo just about killed me trying to keep raising my Synthroid, which he based completely off of TSH. He would not even address my main problem of adrenal fatigue. He had me on Androgel as well which falsly causes elevated TSH, which he should have known.

With the complexity of CFS most endo's are useless and quite possibly dangerous. Bare in mind I said most, not all. If they have not checked free T4 and free T3, I would find someone that would. Some of the Osteopath doctors are pretty good and they can prescribe the correct meds if needed.

Hope you feel better!!

leaves

A lot of people don't do well with citrates, you could try magnesium malate or glycinate

SOC

My ME/CFS muscle pain was exactly like yours. Epsom salt baths helped some, but I had the best luck with Cymbalta. I almost never have those aches now and when I do, OTC painkillers can handle it. Before Cymbalta, OTC painkillers couldn't touch it.

Stretching did me no good whatsoever for the aches. Still important, though. :)

Sing

Klutzo and August59,

I take Levothyroxine and wonder if it should be increased since my Free T3 is way low (45 when normal range is supposed to be 60-181). TSH and T4 are in the normal range.

I'd wondered about taking Creatine, so this gives me the thought it might help.

Membersound, I can't describe well in words what I do for stretching. Floor stretching and swimming movements there are parts of it, and I also roll and let my weight press on a roller to relieve a contracted spot too, but I think it is best for you to work it out with your particular body what feels right!

Sing

Thanks for the hint with malate, I will try this out.

According to thyroid, yes I did check fT's, antibodies, sonography, scintigram and so on. Severel docs and different laboratories, everyone agrees my thyroid's just great.

gag

Hi all---New here. I may have cfs but I don't think I have fibro. I have generalized muscle tension and bad right knee pain. The one thing I have--a very tight jaw, crackles and grates too. Now, my wife tells me I don't grind my teeth at night. I think it's just a weak spot for my tension to hit my TMJ, and again, I think it's from increased tension, not grinding. I was wondering how many others here have this constantly, not coming and going? Ya know, it's like part of the wired up and tired feeling, and it never gets properly rested during poor sleep. Thanks!

SOC

Hi all---New here. I may have cfs but I don't think I have fibro. I have generalized muscle tension and bad right knee pain. The one thing I have--a very tight jaw, crackles and grates too. Now, my wife tells me I don't grind my teeth at night. I think it's just a weak spot for my tension to hit my TMJ, and again, I think it's from increased tension, not grinding. I was wondering how many others here have this constantly, not coming and going? Ya know, it's like part of the wired up and tired feeling, and it never gets properly rested during poor sleep. Thanks!

I think TMJ pain is relatively common in ME/CFS. I had it and I don't have fibro.

gag

I think TMJ pain is relatively common in ME/CFS. I had it and I don't have fibro.

Thanks. The thing is, I don't have any pain, just very tight and grating. I should have clarified that, and it's pretty strange that it can be tight with absolutely no pain.