• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Article: What is Healing?

Such an intriguing post Lisa. As I've noted before - for me Gupta's theory that the fear center of the brain had somehow gotten turned on - struck me, after I keep looking at - almost like a bolt of lightning... I had NEVER suspected that - but once that was offered to me to look at - it became clear to me that something like that was happening...I don't know how or why but it was.

I'm coming at it from another angle but I think we're both on the same path and I agree how nice it is when you get a bit of the force back :D

Basically, I'm learning to harness the power of the Force!

I suspect this is the key to my flight/fight response beginning to turn off at last, thus allowing physical healing. No matter how many pills I took to support and heal my body, it could do little good if my body's own healing systems had been turned off by a wonky 'on/off' switch.
I've found supplements/drugs that did propel me into states of health temporarily - only to have my body, for some reason, reject that health - and crash - usually leaving me temporarily worse off. So I am back to the slow mind/body approach.

It's a complex thing...diet is important for me....If I ate wheat all day I would simply sleep all day! Being in a clean environment is extremely important - not being in one adds a terrible weight to this illness - doing those things are necessary but it is the things that you describe that really push me forward day by day... And as I begin to regain a little health I find my body can tolerate the nice pushes from supplements that it sometimes gets. I think my system needs to be able to calm down and reset itself for it to integrate these things properly.

My guess is that, for me, the dysfunction lies somewhere deep in the brain - the brain stem, the limbic area - whatever areas control autonomic nervous system functioning, HPA axis functioning, emotional processing - it's all thrown together in one big pot.

Thank you for sharing this Lisa. It gives me much to ponder - and yes, pray over.

I've been giving my ME/CFS hubby Reiki twice a day for about 4 years now and he swears it is one of the few things to help him sleep - turn off that old wonky on/off switch. Unfortunately, we're at the point where I'm the one giving Reiki, he is not finding it for himself, thus is relying on me. Oh, that I would learn to be a better teacher and help him own his own freedom. You have inspired me to continue to find more ways to try to help him find his way.

"Some have a path we are meant to follow. I think great sickness and tragedy has led me to mine and though it sounds odd, I am grateful."

Like all of us, when I was struck with acute onset I had to give up nearly every pleasurable activity imaginable- exercise, sports, sugar, alcohol, caffeine, etc.

Prior to that I had been meditating for many years- Yet, after a year with CFS I finally became re-committed to the practice with everything I had- probably just out of survival.

For years I had read about Monks renouncing the world in order to deepen their spiritual practice. This is not a lifestyle I would choose.

Yet, recently it dawned on me that like it or not I AM a renunciate- having foresworn most worldly activities. Given this realization it then occurred to me how invaluable an opportunity this disease gives me to practice- I would have never chosen such an existence, but now that it's been chosen for me the best thing I can do is embrace it AS THOUGH I CHOSE IT.

In doing so, I feel I am deepening my spiritual practice in ways that would otherwise simply been impossible.

Given the choice would I take the back all the trappings I used to have? In a minute.

But for now I am experiencing a unfolding liberation that becomes more and more dramatic- and I'll take that.

Who knows why things happen. But I feel that I am absolutely making the most of my time at the most fundamental level. Perhaps there is some cosmic reason for this disease.

I cannot imagine what the experience of living would be if were to regain my health in addition to my newfound and profound spiritual liberation. Maybe it won't happen. And if it doesn't I guess that's OK.

The idea of spontaneous recovery is not new and certainly not exclusive to ME/CFS.
There are books written on this phenomenon.
For example Dr. Weil's book "Spontaneous Healing"
Below is the Publisher Weekly's review on the book:

As others argue the politics of health care, Weil (Health and Healing) turns away from the usual practice of Western medicine, which is focused on alleviating symptoms rather than strengthening internal mechanisms of health, to closely consider the nature of the healing process. "At every level of biological organization, from DNA up," he writes, the "mechanics of self-diagnosis, self-repair and regeneration exist in us." To buttress his point, he cites such evidence as the placebo effect, inexplicable remissions and the commonplace repair of wounds, often marginalized by the medical community. In an effort to make the process of healing seem less obscure, Weil reports a wide range of dramatic case histories. Other sections detail various means, e.g., diet and breathing exercises, available for optimizing one's healing system, and suggestions for approaches to illnesses. Also included are an "Eight Week Program for Optimal Healing Power" and a guide to finding practitioners, supplies and information.

He mentions many personal cases of "spontaneous" recovery from all kind of ailments.
The brain after all, is the "boss" of the body. It's the supreme controller of what's going on in the body.
Just like it can cause illness, it can reverse it and direct healing.
This is for any illness.
The question is how to empower it.

"Some have a path we are meant to follow. I think great sickness and tragedy has led me to mine and though it sounds odd, I am grateful."

Given this realization it then occurred to me how invaluable an opportunity this disease gives me to practice- I would have never chosen such an existence, but now that it's been chosen for me the best thing I can do is embrace it AS THOUGH I CHOSE IT.

An amazing journey you're on Recovery Soon. What an astonishing, head turning idea - to 'choose' where you are when you are in a situation like this. No one, as you say would purposely choose to have CFS - that would be ludicrous and insane - but to practice choosing where you are - which in this case means having CFS..is an entirely different matter. No one would ever choose to stub their toe - but in aftermath of stubbing their toe if you can choose to have stubbed your toe - rather than be hopping (literally) mad because of it - you can be with it (better) - you experience it in an entirely different way.

I was practicing choosing last week.....I came across the quote and I practiced it. I chose where I was at....if I was upset - I noticed that and 'chose' it...if I was worried I chose that. These are flash of the moment processes they come and go as fast as my moods and thoughts and feelings come and go. Instead of being at effect of these things I chose them...

It's a wild idea - it's is completely backwards to the way we think in general. We're generally happy to choose the good stuff but who would choose the bad stuff?. The fear, of course, is that you're going to get stuck with it...But if you really choose it - wholly choose it - the opposite happens - it releases.
http://www.eliezersobel.com/est.html - Est 20 years later and she says this

Not too long ago I was exiting the main terminal at Dulles Airport when I spotted a familiar face:

“Randy MacNamara?” I exclaimed. He had been one of my original est trainers. “November ’75, Boston,” I told him, by way of identifying myself. After a few remarks back and forth, I said, “Well, it was a great weekend, twenty years ago.” And in true trainer form, he instantly got to the point:

“Does it still impact your life?”

“Well…sure, yes,” I replied. And then he hit me with what I thought to be an amazing question:

“Daily?” he asked.

I remember well Randy MacNamara’s dramatic explanation of what we were to expect when we left the est training: the possibility of believing we’d lost it and that things were worse than ever and everything was falling apart and the training hadn’t worked. Then, after allowing us to contemplate that in silence for a moment, his deep, booming voice filled the room:

“YOU FORGOT TO CHOOSE!”

Choose what?

What you got! Choose what you got, choose what you got, choose what you got,” he explained, and eventually you’d be out of the water. Or not even eventually, which implies that time is required for transformation: the est training was in the spirit of “sudden Zen,” for the possibility of “choosing what you got” exists now and always. And in the very moment you really make that choice, you come unstuck, for you had merely been resisting the isness of the moment you were given.

In EST this was called 'Riding the horse in the direction it’s going' As in if that's what's going on right now choose. If what's going on is that your body is whacked out - choose that.. Basically I look to see what I got (going on at the present moment) and choose it.

Great comments! I love hearing others experiences. :D

To choose.... Oh what perfect timing this is for me to be reminded of this. An exceptionally stressful week has left me spinning. Will have to sit and think of choice, own the week instead of it owning me.

Thank you for all the insight. Lisa :Retro smile:

Wow, Cort, there is so much packed wisdom in your post, I'm going to copy it and really think about it.

A friend of mine once said, "What would you say about this if you were dreaming it?" Which is a little different than choosing, but not all that different. If this situation were a dream, how would I interpret it?

Lisa, I figure you were on a spiritual journey and had a deep knowingness every since you picked the healing town on a map, for you and your mom. I really liked your latest blog post and am glad you're continuing to post.

Camping in wilderness is the only time I feel really good. It would be nice ifI had a camper, as my tent is not set up for driving rain...and I have too many restrictions to camp indefinitely (anyway even national forest only lets you camp a month).

However, it is so nice to feel what it's like in wilderness, how healing it is. Low or no EMF, no pollution, quality air!!! yes!!!!, and the rhythmsof nature and...STARS!!!!

A friend of mine once said, "What would you say about this if you were dreaming it?" Which is a little different than choosing, but not all that different. If this situation were a dream, how would I interpret it?

That is similar...it removes you from the 'problem' -gives you some distance; a new orientation towards it. This stuff is about getting a little space in the turbulence - or in-your-faceness- that is CFS....

Good luck!

This thread is fascinating. I recently read "How to be sick," in which a Buddhist practitioner with CFS uses what she has learned to help her deal with her illness. Much of the stuff about choosing is similar. And reading Sobel's account of running into his trainer, Randy, was great. Randy was also my first est trainer and I remember him vividly.

I've been thinking a lot lately about choosing where I am, and seeing the positive side of it. I don't have to get up and drive in traffic! I can lay here and read for as long as I want! I can watch TV and movies without feeling guilty about not cleaning the house! I can knit for hours if I feel up to it! There's a certain comfort and freedom in that. While working at my high-stress job, which I had to leave due to CFS, I felt like my brain was getting so crammed full that I didn't have time to process it. Well now, I can take that time for the first time in my adult life, which was busy so with working and raising children. More and more, I'm starting to feel the perfection of where I am now, and amazingly, my health has improved a bit since I quit resisting so much.
:rolleyes:

This thread is fascinating. I recently read "How to be sick," in which a Buddhist practitioner with CFS uses what she has learned to help her deal with her illness. Much of the stuff about choosing is similar. And reading Sobel's account of running into his trainer, Randy, was great. Randy was also my first est trainer and I remember him vividly.

I've been thinking a lot lately about choosing where I am, and seeing the positive side of it. I don't have to get up and drive in traffic! I can lay here and read for as long as I want! I can watch TV and movies without feeling guilty about not cleaning the house! I can knit for hours if I feel up to it! There's a certain comfort and freedom in that. While working at my high-stress job, which I had to leave due to CFS, I felt like my brain was getting so crammed full that I didn't have time to process it. Well now, I can take that time for the first time in my adult life, which was busy so with working and raising children. More and more, I'm starting to feel the perfection of where I am now, and amazingly, my health has improved a bit since I quit resisting so much.

I just started reading the book you mentioned. So far it's fascinating. I can't wait to read the rest of it.

Me too...resisting is devastating! it's too much for our system. Mental resistance to anything is just too much. Working on accepting (not giving in) - just accepting things are the way they are and they are not the way they are not - just letting them be - is very helpful to me. It eases things...I sleep better and feel better.