• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Transmission among family and ????autism connection

Hi

I was wondering if some of you very knowledgable people can help me or point me in the right direction!

I read that there has been a connection between members from the same family having CFS through something like or the XMRV retrovirus as well as a connection to autism!

Breifly my history is my husband developed CFS after getting EBV, and Ross River Virus, he was very unwell but has made a full recovery after about 8 years. After 6month of him being well I developed CFS after training hard for a triathlon then developing a viral type illness.My CFS has been more moderat but now 4 years in to it. My daughter has frequent sore throats and fatigue!

Our son has Aspergers and my nephew has autism, I also think my husband has asperger traits. MY mother has had breast and bowel cancer my father has had prostate cancer both well now.

Is there some weird connection too all of this or are we just very unlucky?????

Beth

alex3619

Hi Bethinoz, if you read the XMRV buzz page here on Phoenix Rising, you will see tentative links with XMRV to every one of the conditions you discuss. None of it is proven definitively yet, but the evidence is mounting. Later this year newer and better blood tests should be available, but at the moment there is no XMRV test easily available in Australia.

The XMRV prostate cancer, CFS, Chronic Lyme Disease and autism links are the strongest of these links.

I lived on a creek feeding into the Ross River as a child.

Fellow Aussie,
Alex

Deatheye

I don't thnik someone can answer your question without making bloodwork. But there are family with CFS and other neurological deseases where they find XMRV. So right now it looks like XMRV can cause stuff like asperger, CFS autism, cancer and other stuff. The only Thing I guess you could make is going for tests. But not sure if they are worth the moneyr ight now cause it seems they still find other viruses which maybe the bloodtest does not recognice at the moment.
I'm myself thinking about doing the test and still not sure if it's worth it cause I propably have to pay it myself.

Mark

Hi Beth, welcome to the forums.

Like Alex says, everything you mention has been tentatively linked to XMRV, in fact you seem to have listed almost all of the conditions that have been linked in your list...except Alzheimer's and MS. Dr Mikovits has done a study of such clusters which might be of interest to you; maybe somebody here can point you at some resources related to that. I think it was in the "Dr Mikovits speaks!..." thread that I saw a chart of those clusters recently. Also, with your family cluster of symptoms, it occurs to me that you might be able to get some researchers interested if you wanted to go down that route.

The only condition you mentioned that hasn't yet been linked to XMRV that I've heard of, is bowel cancer. I've never seen that mentioned, but given all the gut issues and IBS that so many of us have, I wouldn't be at all surprised...

I think there's enough anecdotal evidence of family patterns such as yours to indicate that there is probably a connection; whether that's genetic or infectious remains to be established. XMRV is still highly controversial of course, and remains to be scientifically proven to be a cause of anything (there's a long way to go for that to happen), but personally I find the evidence compelling. There are good grounds for hope that some big questions will be answered later this year...

Merry

Hi

I was wondering if some of you very knowledgable people can help me or point me in the right direction!

I read that there has been a connection between members from the same family having CFS through something like or the XMRV retrovirus as well as a connection to autism!

Breifly my history is my husband developed CFS after getting EBV, and Ross River Virus, he was very unwell but has made a full recovery after about 8 years. After 6month of him being well I developed CFS after training hard for a triathlon then developing a viral type illness.My CFS has been more moderat but now 4 years in to it. My daughter has frequent sore throats and fatigue!

Our son has Aspergers and my nephew has autism, I also think my husband has asperger traits. MY mother has had breast and bowel cancer my father has had prostate cancer both well now.

Is there some weird connection too all of this or are we just very unlucky?????

Beth

Sorry to hear about all the illness in your family, Beth.

I have had ME/CFS for more than forty years. My mother was always ill, and I am sure she had ME/CFS, with symptoms more severe than mine. Toward the end of her life, she had aggressive breast cancer and myelodysplasia. Liver disease, however, is what killed her.

My father, also deceased, I think had Asperger's. When he was about 50 he was diagnosed with colon cancer. He did, however, live another thirty years. I know he had something wrong with his prostate in later years but don't know the diagnosis. Not prostate cancer.

One brother might qualify for an Asperger's diagnosis - definitely has autistic characteristics. Another brother has some of those characteristics but to a lesser extent; he also has an autoimmune disorder of the colon and gluten intolerance.

Family charts from Paul Cheney's practice, showing incidence of XMRV and neuroimmune disorders, were presented at the talk given by Dr. Mikovitz at Santa Rosa, California, last week. You can find that info on the forums (somewhere!) or go directly to www.lannieinthelymelight.blogspot.com. I wrote that from memory so won't swear the url is correct.

Good luck. Send me a private message if you can't find the information you are looking for.