• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFS/ME and Exercise

Wonko

They appear to say that IL6 is good if as a result of intense exercise but as pwME never engage in intense activity it's bad because without intense exercise it's an inflamitory which can cause muscle wasting amongst all the other wonderful side effects of inflamation in pwME.

Or have I got that wrong?

C

Cloud

They appear to say that IL6 is good if as a result of intense exercise but as pwME never engage in intense activity it's bad because without intense exercise it's an inflamitory which can cause muscle wasting amongst all the other wonderful side effects of inflamation in pwME.

Or have I got that wrong?

Hey Wonko,

I understood it to say that the increased levels of IL6 and TNF in ME/CFS causes the development of more receptors for these cytokines, which may perpetuate the problem by encouraging an even greater release of IL6 and TNF, in particular, with exertion. But, I may need to read it more closely as well.

I have always favored the idea of "Cytokine Storm" being primary cause of my symptoms, especially PEM. I had never read about this idea of growing additional receptors to meet the need of the increased levels of cytokines. It just made a lot of sense to me. And it seems a logical direction for the pursuit of Tx ideas.

Wonko

yep, definately time to read more stuff I think, anything that will give me more of a handle on whats going on exercise wise is useful

in theory if I read enough some of it may stick, I may even remember what was actually written as opposed to what I thought was lol

thanks for the info Cloud