• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is it normal to take DMSA and feel nothing?

SaraM

I started with 100 mg oral DMSA but do not have any crash or something like that. I have a few amalgam fillings and my blood mercury level is normal. EDTA gave me kidney pain which indicates I was detoxing. I also took a dose of 50 mg R ALA that caused a severe crash together with other side effects . I even had a very strange feeling in one eye like when you feel something is stuck under your eye lid . Other forms of ALA never caused a problem.

Mij

I started with 100 mg oral DMSA but do not have any crash or something like that. I have a few amalgam fillings and my blood mercury level is normal. EDTA gave me kidney pain which indicates I was detoxing. I also took a dose of 50 mg R ALA that caused a severe crash together with other side effects . I even had a very strange feeling in one eye like when you feel something is stuck under your eye lid . Other forms of ALA never caused a problem.

I took DMSA 7 years ago for three months and felt no symptoms except the odd kidney pain. My blood mercury levels were "highly elevated" through Doctors Data Labs. I had my amalgams removed before starting DMSA but my doctor who has a lot of expertise in this area told me it wasn't necessary to remove them. I did only because they were old and needed replacement anyways.

I took a special custom formula on the "off" days of DMSA compounded at the pharmacy.

Mij

SaraM

Mij
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. I am also going to take lots of vitamins and minerals on the "off" days to prevent any sort of deficiency.

Mij

Yes this is important, especially zinc. I had white spots on my fingernails that developed which is an indication of a zinc deficiency. You may run low on minerals but over time after the treatment it will replenish.

I experienced some hairloss for a couple years soon after but I'm not sure it was related to the chelation.

Good luck! I hope it helps you.

Mij

Adster

It might be worth reading up on the Cutler Protocol and frequent dose chelation. Cutler recommends that chelating agents be dosed according to half life (4 hourly for DMSA, 3 for ALA) to reduce redistribution of mercury as the levels fall off in the body. Much lower doses are used more frequently(starting at around 5mg DMSA every 4 hours around the clock, for 3 days on, then 4-11 days off). When I took my first dose(5mg), several hours later I felt more relaxed than I have felt since I can remember. This lasted a few hours. I generally feel better for the first few days of a round then get quite tired, this lasts for 4-5 days generally.

The yahoo group "Frequent dose chelation" is also a good source of information.

SaraM

Adster,
Thanks for your post. I just saw it today .

update on DMSA

I did 3 rounds of DMSA based on Cutler Protocol (25-50 mg every 4 hours).I got a very bad cold in the middle of the third round which took me a month to recover,and felt very tried while taking DMSA , but it helped me with the scalp pain which was bothering me for years.

dannybex

Sara -- Your amalgams have been replaced I hope?

I did 3 rounds of DMSA based on Cutler Protocol (25-50 mg every 4 hours).I got a very bad cold in the middle of the third round which took me a month to recover,and felt very tried while taking DMSA , but it helped me with the scalp pain which was bothering me for years.

Hi Sara,

In your first post you said "I have a few amalgam fillings".

I'm hoping that you meant you 'had' amalgam fillings, but had them replaced awhile ago. According to Cutler and several others, one should always have them removed and wait at least three months before starting any chelation with DMSA or ALA.

Best regards,

Dan

SaraM

Hi Dan,

Unfortunately I still have my amalgam fillings, but I am going to replace them in the near future. I knew about Cutler protocol before taking DMSA, but I decided to give it a try anyway, I mean before amalgam replacement.

Best wishes,
Sara