• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Question about Glandulars

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
suppose to supply the raw material to make adrenal hormones but it is probably alot easier to get tested for these and supplement with dhea, pregnenolone or hydrocortisone if low.

cheers!!!

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I'm with you on the labs. I just can't wrap my mind around glandulars and how they would work. It seems to me that the digestive tract would wreak havoc on them and by the time they made it through the digestive tract there properties would not even be close to the original and the body would not even recognize them.

I definitely have to have my adrenals checked. I took 15mg (maybe 20mg)/day of hydrocortisone for 2 years and slowly weaned down over 3-4 months. Once I got down to 5mg then 2.5mg I started a very bad time in my CFS. It was my understanding that 15 - 20 mg/day would not cause down regulation and it may not in a healthy person, but I'm convinced it did in me. I could not handle my thyroid meds that I had steadily been on for 2 years, my testosterone dropped drastically from a stable level (maintained by Androgel) for 2 years. My nose started running and it will not stop even with Flonase, Asterlin and Zrtec all at the same time (I will not use Asterlin more than 2 days in a row). All I can say is that the more stress I'm under the worse my nose runs and I don't have any bad known allergies

heapsreal

I have heard the same about hydrocort as well, not being supressive in doses upto 40mg. If your not handling your thyroid meds, this can be because of low cortisol levels, pregnenolone can help with this. also testosterone on its own not only supresses our natural testosterone but other hormones that are made by the testes. up to date docs are supplementing other hormones like dhea and preg when putting men on testosterone as well as controlling then estrogen levels which can climb to high causing symptoms as well. U sound like u are doing alot of your own research on hormones etc its just a matter of getting it right, which is what im trying to do as well. Have u been on this forum http://www.musclechatroom.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2 its quite informative and up to date with adrenal fatigue, TRT etc

keep in touch dude,
cheers!!!

I'm with you on the labs. I just can't wrap my mind around glandulars and how they would work. It seems to me that the digestive tract would wreak havoc on them and by the time they made it through the digestive tract there properties would not even be close to the original and the body would not even recognize them.

I definitely have to have my adrenals checked. I took 15mg (maybe 20mg)/day of hydrocortisone for 2 years and slowly weaned down over 3-4 months. Once I got down to 5mg then 2.5mg I started a very bad time in my CFS. It was my understanding that 15 - 20 mg/day would not cause down regulation and it may not in a healthy person, but I'm convinced it did in me. I could not handle my thyroid meds that I had steadily been on for 2 years, my testosterone dropped drastically from a stable level (maintained by Androgel) for 2 years. My nose started running and it will not stop even with Flonase, Asterlin and Zrtec all at the same time (I will not use Asterlin more than 2 days in a row). All I can say is that the more stress I'm under the worse my nose runs and I don't have any bad known allergies

undcvr

I dont know how they work but I know they do, especially thymus. That was what the Proboost formula is based on. I think it is a myth that glandular proteins do not make it thru the digestive system intact. Also if u have cfs chances are your digestive system is not making all that must stomach acid or digestive enzymes anyway, something Cheney has noticed long ago with his patients. Obviously they are missing something as to how glandulars work when they are taken orally. For now we can only assume that the enzymes and proteins survive the digestive system intact and are cross species compatible. This is also the theory behind Proboost.

But if you are looking for an adrenal supplement, have you tried Licorice root ? They active ingredient boosts cortisol lvls while at the same time giving exhausted adrenals a chance to rest. It has been suggested for exhausted adrenals countless times and it is very cheap.

Btw Proboost is taken sublingually under the tongue so that is how it bypasses the digestive tract.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I take Proboost for my immune system,T4 helper cells. That and Maitake drops and AHCC, etc. Yes, it goes under the tongue.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I'm not questioning if they as I know they do. I just can't figure out how they work. They are mostly dessicated bovine or porcine glands? What happens during digestion and absorption that results in something useful for the body? Thanks for the feedback!

undcvr

If they are extracted correctly ie not at high temps, their enzymes shud be intact and if they dont get cut up by ur gut then they make it into the system to do something benefical. If they happen to be hormones or steroid-like compounds then they can work too since those are not species specific too. If they survive your gut, they go directly into the bloodstream. Please look up LICORICE ROOT if u guys are taking these glands for your adrenals. I took it b4 and will take it again and it helped me ALOT.
The enzyme theory is the same way Nattokinase n Serrapeptase works. In the case of liver enzymes B vites are stored in the liver of all animals so you get those too. And they are in a more bioavailable form than you would get them if they were manufactured eg Cyanocobalamin vs Methylcobalamin.

undcvr

Also I assume that you know about this but I just want to state it again: there is a diff btw the adrenal glands and the adrenal cortex. The adrenal cortex is the small triangular part of the adrenal glands that sits on top of the glands. Its even more expensive than the adrenal glands itself becos of its smaller quantity. I dont know what it does. While I was researching this I stumbled onto Licorice root. It has worked really well for me and i did not feel the need to go on glandular therapy. I am on Proboost tho and will be for awhile.

heapsreal

At the end of the day i belive all our hormones issues are because of our over stressed bodies from cfs/infections etc, treating these hormones defiencies and bringing them back to normal helps us to keep strong and somewhat healthy so we can continue our fight against this illness. Also a competant doc is needed to work out that our hormone problems arent the initial cause, its the horse or the cart senario