• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

British newspaper XMRV article yesterday

Wonko

very odd it seems people are arguing about semantics

the MRC is independant in that it seems to be staffed (if thats the right word) by people who arent in government - however some of these people are also advisors to the government and seem to direct government policy - so how indepentant is it in fact when the same people are involved?

is the press "free" in the UK? possibly - but it woudl depend on what you mean by free - are most individual reporters free to pursue any story they like in the way they would choose? or do they have to follow the line set down by their managements policies? or do they just , in science/medical based issues, ask for a handout from the MRC? is it a matter of policy that they do this? is this a "free" press?

is it wrong to be proud of your country? depends on your country I suppose - the same apple to slagging off someone elses country - do I personally fidn it offensive - no -TBH I'm glad someone else has noticed and it's not just me ranting solo.

the UK press coverage on ME and XMRV in particularhs been appauling and highly bias'ed when it has occured - this seems to be a matter of policy - I personally dont give a damn who's policy at this stage as I cant do anything about it - but it is the policy of a group or indivdual who effectively control the UK media - this is a bad situation for everyone not just those with ME and should be stopped - but it wont be

nothing will change here until it does elsewhere and then only one this one issue

in case it's not obvious I am a UK 'citizen'

edit - merry christmas - I hope everyone takes it as easy as social commitments allow - and that people dont pay too high a price for all this 'fun' and 'merryment'

Merry

my thanks for a story in a British newspaper

In 1988 my health took a major downturn. I thought I was dying.

At the time I was in contact with a British writer I shared an interest in literature with. In a letter I must've written in some detail about my symptoms because sometime in 1988 or 1989 he sent me a long news story from a major British newspaper of people in Britain who were suffering from what sounded like the same illness. It was a sympathetic human interest story based on interviews with several people.

So because of this story I began to look for more information on ME and what, I discovered, was being called CFS in the US. Then I found notice of a support group in the city I had recently moved to, attended a meeting, and asked for a recommedation for a doctor. In 1990 I finally got a diagnosis for the strange symptoms that I'd been dealing with off and on for more than twenty years.

helen41

Calm down Martlet,

It is what it is. the UK government runs the media and censores as they please esp as it pertains to CFS/ME/XMRV. Are you not angry? Well, if you can't see it, then live with it. it's really none of my business. ta ta!

USA #1 Always and Forever~!:Sign Peace:
Lancelot, I guess that is the strength of this kind of forum.
I was laying in bed on Christmas morning, trying to conserve my energy and just catching up on the forums when I came across your posts. You went from a global insult to a variety of more personal ones. I left this thread because I find I don't learn anything when I have to sift through such anger. The message just gets lost.
The next thread I looked at had a link to a video that VillageLife posted. It's beautiful, inclusive, and so much more useful than the tone in this thread. It's Christmas, and I couldn't resist bringing it back for you.
http://forums.aboutmecfs.org/content.php?306-Christmas-xmrv-youtube-film

leela

Thanks for the refocus, helen. It's a really lovely video.
Best and most Happy Wishes to All for a wonderful holiday :)

Tia

This is such bullshit! Theyre probably bougt of by the government. I FEEL that I'm carrying some kind of infection, it's obvious, always felt like this so it IS an infection, no doubt about it.

free at last

Some are so angry, that even reaching out for peace will often go silent, so lets see if thats so. Merry christmas Lancelot we really should be brothers in arms, after all i guess weve both suffered, and been ridiculed too by many in the world. Our world is the truth Lancelot not nations devided, and on that we stand united.

Merry Christmas Helen and everyone, Hope those not well enough to enjoy this festive day very much, get the treatments they deserve, the respect they deserve, and the condition becomes under control for them soon, Take heart recovery can happen. best
Neil

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I've only come back on today and realise the irony of what I said in a orevious post - 'some are too self absorbed in their own illness'- and then went on to moan about my bad back-ah well then I'm not perfect after all:) And a very Merry Xmas to everyone too, including you Freeatlast I didn't mean to offend.
I believe its no good getting too bothered about what people say, we all have very different opinions,
and I don't feel I have to defend England, you only have to visit our beautiful country to know why.
No one government is playing a good game about ME at present, our hopes are with the brave, honest scientists who are willing to step out of the establishments line especially in the UK. Pray to god it will happen in 2011.

i just want to say if that press release is approved by UK science Media center then why some people crying against the press release, if we found anything wrong in the release then UK science Media center will be reply able to us.

Wonko

i just want to say if that press release is approved by UK science Media center then why some people crying against the press release, if we found anything wrong in the release then UK science Media center will be reply able to us.
sorry?

you seem to be implying the SMC thinks it is answerable to the public and should act in the public interest

it doesnt seem to share this opinion