• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

BBC NEWS- ME not caused by XMRV

Jemal

Yeah, we are also talking about it here:
http://forums.aboutmecfs.org/showth...ion-in-XMRV-testing.-Coffin-McClure-and-Huber

But this news article alone deserves it's own thread I think. As I have stated in the other thread, this kind of news is potentially very damaging to our cause. With the caveat I still believe in XMRV and contamination is not an issue. If contamination is an issue, then it's all over.

Like you, I want the truth, even if it means that XMRV is just a contaminant (as then a treatment would offer no hope anyway).

eric_s

BBC adds "... say researchers". I think that's important. This is the opinion of one team of researchers. Fine. Let's hear what the others say...

I feel if they say XMRV is not an infectious human virus at all this might even challenge Silverman, De Risi and Klein, who discovered XMRV. So some more capable people that will be forced to fight on our side.

Esther12

Wasn't he involved with two of the different contamination papaers today?

I've only read the over-view though, not the four original papers, so could well be confused.

pictureofhealth

XMRV - L'Agent du Jour
Whenever there is a positive biomedical research finding in ME/CFS, ie the recent ME Research UK viral findings, the British press seek 'balance' and ask psychiatrists for a (negative) comment. Even Dr Shepherd at the ME Association doesn't seem to think this is unreasonable.

Yet somehow, now we have some 'contamination' papers, there is apparently no need for 'balance' - in fact we have I think 4-5 contamination studies published in a row - just in time for Xmas. Where is a comment from Harvey Alter for eg. - just for 'balance' of course?

Jemal

Wasn't he involved with two of the different contamination papaers today?

I don't think he was involved, though I haven't read the entire 5 studies.

If one of the discoverers of this virus is starting to doubt himself, then I will really start to worry... so I am hoping he wasn't involved.

Jemal

Oops... you're right. I got him mixed up with Coffin. Not sure how I managed that.

No problem. Coffin has always been a bit paranoid about contamination, so this is not a new move for him. Also it's good that there are people worried about this, I don't want them silenced or anything. I want the truth.

I am becoming quite worried though that some of these scientists are not in it to help us or find the truth (not talking about Coffin here). It's more like they are trying to find their own truth, or at least that's the vibe I am getting.

eric_s

I don't like the way they cover this neither. But Lo et al. got some 300+ articles that reported about it and could be found via Google within 1 or 2 days. I don't think this will get to 100. Not saying i know what to make of it, though. I hope for reactions from the "positive camp" without having to wait for too long.

Lala

How stupid. If XMRV is not human retrovirus, then how can humans have antibodies against it ??

The BBC dont report the whole story.

What makes it worse is the BBC's front page headline, which most people will see without viewing the item is: More doubt over viral link to ME.

This would imply to the casual reader that there is a total lack of viral connection to ME. I'm appalled, but not surprised, by the BBC reporting of this.