• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Article: A Drug For ME/CFS? The Rituximab Story

I'm super interested in this topic...and also got the "no permission" message.
Cort, could you post the article here as well? For some reason, I'm able to read these forum posts even though not able to access the front page. Thanks!

Quite interesting. I don't understand the relationship between methotrexate and rituximab, though. The methotrexate, as I understand it, can be given weekly, while the rituximab can't, and I guess they must be agents that have similar effects.

It was interesting to note that all three patients had mononucleosis at onset -- the article points out that they may be from a special subset of CFS patients.

It's also not clear to me whether any of these patients achieved ongoing relief of their symptoms.

BTW, Kogelnik is planning a trial of rituximab, in conjunction with antivirals. His thought is that the B-cells may be reservoirs for active viruses, and that killing them off helps to get rid of active virus infections. I guess that antivirals can't get at the viruses in the B-cells. (Though this article notes that there is little evidence of active viral infection in these patients.) He thinks that the B-cells may get slowly reinfected afterward, leading to the recurrence of symptoms. His hope is that by combining the two, it would be possible to completely eliminate symptoms.

I don't know when that trial will begin, though. He told me that he has a trial of a number of antivirals and immune modulators that he hopes will start in March, but I don't know whether that will include rituximab. When I spoke with him about it a couple of months ago, it sounded like it might take a bit longer to get the rituximab trial started.

Mr. Kite, that's a link to the announcement page about the Norwegian trial. The article that Cort posted and that was accessible for a few moments was an article written by Cort, which was a very good summary of the various immune system problems in ME/CFS and the ways in which Rituximab might address them, followed by a Q&A with one of the Norwegian researchers.

CORT WHERE IS IT??????

Mr. Kite, that's a link to the announcement page about the Norwegian trial. The article that Cort posted and that was accessible for a few moments was an article written by Cort, which was a very good summary of the various immune system problems in ME/CFS and the ways in which Rituximab might address them, followed by a Q&A with one of the Norwegian researchers.

CORT WHERE IS IT??????

Really? When I click it it goes to the actual study.

Would like to read the Q&A though.

My apologies! I had no idea anyone had actually found the article. I initially published it and then thought it was going to get swamped by the Blood Working Group session - so I quickly unpublished it....and was completely oblivious to the fact that it had actually gotten around and people were trying to read it. :oops::oops:

So here we go....Roy I can post it both places - good idea. I'll let it sit here for awhile and then do that. Where is that thread by the way?