• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Human infections with animal disease rising

Jemal

This article is not about XMRV per se, but I think it is relevant, especially considering all the discussion about blood safety. I don't like the picture it paints, as blood banks (at least here in the Netherlands) are unable to screen for certain pathogens. So they admit they are in the blood supply. Also the article mentions Q-fever, this is one of the pathogens that is discussed a lot side by side with XMRV (during those FDA meetings and such). The Dutch bloodbanks are still accepting blood from CFS patients.

This is a rough translation of the news article on Nu.nl:
http://www.nu.nl/binnenland/2398696/mens-vaker-besmet-met-dierenziekte.html

Human infections with animal disease rising

Animal diseases are increasingly common in human blood through blood transfusions. Bloodbanks should devote a lot of money to prevent the spread of animal diseases, like Q-fever, mad cow disease and hepatitis E, through transfusions.

Professor Hans Zaaijer of bloodborne infections from the University of Amsterdam, speaks of a public health threat. He blames the threat mostly to factory farming, writes the AD [a Dutch newspaper]. According to him, diseases in that industry cannot be prevented, and so they will infect human blood.

In England four people have already died, because they got mad cow disease through donorblood, knows Zaaijer. "Maybe some blood donors in the Netherlands are infected with this disease. We cannot test for it."

The newest threat to the security of the blood supply is hepatititis E, says Zaaijer. Healthy Dutch can be infected by eating infected meat.

"Because of that, donors can carry the infection in their blood, without them knowing. They don't have symptoms. However, patients who receive blood are vulnerable."

Jemal

Good question... I thought bioindustry was also used in English, but I guess not :)

Bioindustry is the practice of keeping massive amounts of animals on small lots. Because of the cramped conditions and hygiene problems, it's as good as impossible to prevent all disease.
I am certain there is another word for this kind of industry in English, but can't come up with it right now.

Edit: I think it is factory farming? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factory_farming

Merry

Oh, yes, factory farming. Thank you. I should have thought of that since the information you posted was about diseases spreading from animals to people. I guess I didn't immediately think of livestock - farm animals - as the animals you were talking about.

I've been thinking too much about laboratory mice and wild mice lately.