• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Need an SSD lawyer asap!

zoe.a.m.

Things are not going so well... I had not finished my paperwork with the lawyer who said they would take my case (but knew i had another 16 months before my hearing would be scheduled), but then just got a hearing request stating that it will be on Feb. 1st. I got in touch with the lawyer's office to see about getting the rest of the paperwork in but didn't hear back. Today, Saturday, there was a letter in my mail saying that the lawyer was now declining the case.

I'm in Western Washington and have no clue who to go to--this was the only person I found on the peninsula who would even entertain it. And I'm really running out of time. I did not answer the hearing thing either, but asked the lawyer's office and they initially said that was okay because they needed to check it against their schedule. Now, I'm guessing it's not okay at all, but there are so many layers of things not being okay that I'm not sure where to start...

Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks.

caledonia

http://lawyers.findlaw.com/lawyer/practice/Social-Security----Disability

Do you know why the lawyers are declining to take your case? You don't necessarily need a lawyer.

Have you tried a service like Allsup?

What are your diagnoses? What kind of evidence do you have in your file?

You should answer the request for a hearing or maybe ask for a continuance if you think you need more time to gather evidence. But don't ignore it.

helen41

Have you looked into the Pacific Fatigue Lab? Anncavan has a terrific blog about it. I had the testing done and my insurance company cancelled my review and paid me a year retraoctive. PM me if you would like details of what they provide as a report

Lynn

A few years ago, I also had a two day exercise test similar to the one that the Pacific Fatigue Lab does. It also included cognitive challenges. It made all the difference in a disability review.

Lynn

zoe.a.m.

Thanks for the help and responses. Recent massive stressors have kept me away from the forums and I'm just getting back.

So, in speaking to the judge's clerk (where I told her the situation regarding my dropped case and the time issues), I was told that the judge wants me to attend anyway and then she will decide about what to do next. I am to bring my recent records and a list of records that SSD could not get and that I think are relevant so that they can go to work on getting them. Is this at all normal? The clerk seemed on the up-and-up and not particularly scary, but I'm not sure how "informal" a hearing can really be... Any thoughts?

caledonia

Wow, I have never heard of a judge doing something like that for somebody. It sounds like the judge is actually going to be helpful and sort of act like a lawyer for you - in other words, help you get your file together. I would go for it.

When you're there I would ask the judge if there is any additional information he/she would like to see so they can make a determination.

zoe.a.m.

Wow, I have never heard of a judge doing something like that for somebody. It sounds like the judge is actually going to be helpful and sort of act like a lawyer for you - in other words, help you get your file together. I would go for it.

When you're there I would ask the judge if there is any additional information he/she would like to see so they can make a determination.

This whole thing is pretty weird... First it takes 2 years to get a hearing and then suddenly they decide to hear all cases within a year?!?!? Is that happening elsewhere or just WA I wonder...

I don't think I'll really have a clue until I'm actually there and see what's going on. I'm somewhat concerned (the more pessimistic side I guess) that, if I can show up and speak coherently and bring info and present it, that that is some kind of strange proof that I am not disabled... ? I'll certainly report on my experience when it happens.

caledonia

That might be the result of SSA working on reducing their backlog and speeding up the claims process.

They've gotten computerized (imagine, they were still on a paper based system until a few years ago!), they were planning on cutting out the reconsideration step, and they were also supposed to hire extra judges.

urbantravels

disjecta membra
They've experimented with cutting out the "reconsideration" step in selected cases. Apparently my case was one of the experiments - I went straight from initial application (rejected) to "request a hearing." Confused the heck out of me until a lawyer explained to me that selected cases were being treated this way as a test.

I'd be hesitant to assume anyone is really on your side, or keen to treat you fairly.

In the UK, they know that giving you that impression is the best way to get a chance to stick the knife in. I hope it goes well for you, but I'd advise caution at this point.

For a Social Seurity disability attorney, I used Terry LaPorte, in San Jose, California. Telephone (408) 293-8810. Website www.terrylaporte.com Great guy. I was too exhausted from doing my private disability insurance appeal than to do the sosocial security appeal. I believe he had do these submissions to Social Security outside of States other than just California. He is very well liked here, and won some sort of humanitarian award. I would strongly urge anyone to avoid Allsup, particularly if you also have a private disability policy. You lose your privacy, or what's left of it.