• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Bad Blood: A Cautionary Tale"

shannah

This seems well timed for us with the upcoming BWG meeting in a couple of weeks.

from The Washington Times:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/nov/30/documentary-traces-childrens-aids/?page=1

Documentary traces children's AIDS
Hemophiliacs infected by 'bad blood'

excerpt:

"BADBLOODDOCUMENTARY.COM Marilyn Ness, director and producer of Bad Blood: A Cautionary Tale, says the 1980s discovery that AIDS was being transmitted by a blood product used to manage hemophilia in children became the pivotal turning point in all HIV/AIDS ... efforts.

on page 2:

"The tricky issue is to balance blood safety - especially in light of concerns about blood-borne diseases like dengue fever or a retrovirus like XMRV, which seems to be linked to chronic fatigue syndrome - with donor policies, which necessarily discriminate against people based on medical conditions, travel histories and personal behavior."

George

waitin' fer rabbits
Nice, I like how they slipped the XMRV in there and it's link to ME/CFS like it belongs together. (grins) Thanks for finding and sharing.

Mark

Nice, I like how they slipped the XMRV in there and it's link to ME/CFS like it belongs together.
And I like the way references in the press seem more likely these days to say things like "XMRV, which seems to be linked to chronic fatigue syndrome" rather than irritating stuff like "it was linked with chronic fatigue syndrome in one small study but other researchers have failed to confirm the link".

I still think there should be a special kind of prize for that newspaper article that said something like "3 more studies recently found no evidence of XMRV in chronic fatigue syndrome", where one of those 3 was a positive PC study, another was a study of AIDS patients, and the third was a 0/0 study with about 20 CFS patients as part of a much larger cohort.