• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The BIG CHASE: funding US ME/CFS non-profits

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
After getting into Chase Community Giving page, it asks "do you want to view only the webpage content that was delivered securely" it seems that you have to click "No" in order to vote right? I can't get to it without it.

I just want to make sure there's not a way around it because I don't want to ask friends to do it that way if it's not necessary. I wonder why it is this way, because I am usually only comfortable viewing content that is secure and would have been hesitant to click on it normally.

frenchtulip

Thanks, Helen. I didn't know about the voteexchange. Will take a look at this tomorrow. On Bring on the Vote, are you working for WPI or CAA or both? Thanks.

Dolphin

After getting into Chase Community Giving page, it asks "do you want to view only the webpage content that was delivered securely" it seems that you have to click "No" in order to vote right? I can't get to it without it.

I just want to make sure there's not a way around it because I don't want to ask friends to do it that way if it's not necessary. I wonder why it is this way, because I am usually only comfortable viewing content that is secure and would have been hesitant to click on it normally.
This issue has come up a few times - I think it may discourage some people to vote e.g.
When I went onto FB to vote, it required that I allow Chase to have access to all my friends contact information, and all information on my account. I think this is an invasion of privacy, and I eventually clicked "no".
I don't spend much time on Facebook but somebody said somewhere that FB applications often ask this. Afraid I can't answer your question directly.

Nielk

When I went onto FB to vote, it required that I allow Chase to have access to all my friends contact information, and all information on my account. I think this is an invasion of privacy, and I eventually clicked "no".

I think that this is the main problem that we encounter when asking friends or family to vote for us. They are reluctant to an invasion of their privacy.
I sent out two hundred e-mails yesterday and only see that two voted. That's pretty frustrating. Is thee any other way that they can vote without giving out all their fb information?

Dolphin

I think that this is the main problem that we encounter when asking friends or family to vote for us. They are reluctant to an invasion of their privacy.
I sent out two hundred e-mails yesterday and only see that two voted. That's pretty frustrating. Is thee any other way that they can vote without giving out all their fb information?
Just on the "hit" rate point: you said you wrote to 200 members of your synagogue: that was to their E-mail addresses, I'm guessing? I would expect a lower hit rate with that as a reasonable percentage won't have Facebook accounts presumably. Not that it's not frustrating, I just think that people might miss that part from the message.

Nielk

Just on the "hit" rate point: you said you wrote to 200 members of your synagogue: that was to their E-mail addresses, I'm guessing? I would expect a lower hit rate with that as a reasonable percentage won't have Facebook accounts presumably. Not that it's not frustrating, I just think that people might miss that part from the message.

You are right about what you are saying that they don't necessarily have fb accounts but what I did see is a certain amount that "liked" the Chase page and then nothing else. It's because of that that I'm assuming that they tried to vote but once they got to the part where they ask to allow their personal information, they gave up.

Dolphin

You are right about what you are saying that they don't necessarily have fb accounts but what I did see is a certain amount that "liked" the Chase page and then nothing else. It's because of that that I'm assuming that they tried to vote but once they got to the part where they ask to allow their personal information, they gave up.
Well spotted. I tend to not look at FB feeds but they can give interesting info like that. Not sure if it can be worked around. But perhaps if people knew in advance they might be more willing esp. if they could be told it's fairly standard with Facebook applications (I'm not expert on this - have no idea what is involved).

Tuha

Nielk, I am thinking what kind of privacy you can lose if you allow your information - there is your name, email adress, birthday - if someone is really affraid, he can make a "feaky" name. I dont know anyone who had some problems.

I already wrote it here - the last year I directly asked around 30 facebook friends throught facebook chat to vote and noone refused - I think if you will explain the importance of this money for us - they will understand - in my opinion, this is the way how to get much more votes

Dolphin

Nielk, I am thinking what kind of privacy you can lose if you allow your information - there is your name, email adress, birthday - if someone is really affraid, he can make a "feaky" name. I dont know anyone who had some problems.

I already wrote it here - the last year I directly asked around 30 facebook friends throught facebook chat to vote and noone refused - I think if you will explain the importance of this money for us - they will understand - in my opinion, this is the way how to get much more votes
One reason I like targetting people with ME/CFS is that they should be "willing to go the extra mile" i.e. take a slight gamble e.g. allow sharing of whatever data there is, to get the money. My guess and hope would be that that would stop fewer people with ME/CFS - if they get to that stage, most would hopefully finish the job.

I'm not criticising what you do - I think it's great - I just think any excuses for not doing it are weaker coming from people with ME/CFS.

frenchtulip

Thanks, Helen. I've been working on a vote swapping site to get votes for the CFIDS Assn. and to get some practice for the next round of the contest (made some mistakes esp. in the beginning and forgot to include my vote#, so probably won't get return votes for those). I must say it's pretty labor intensive. Worked last night and also 3 hrs. this AM. The CFIDS Assn. count is now in the 690+ range, but I'm about crashed. Of course, I don't know how many came from the swap site. I did have a bad thought when I was working, realizing I might be putting my computer at risk for a virus by going to some of the smaller websites. So I started sticking with major sites. And I don't like to ALLOW Access on Facebook as it allows not only my info but also my friends' info--as I understand it. So that's a problem I may have to overcome for the next round.

Some of the lists of ME/CFS organizations are a little outdated. So I just googled last night to find support groups in this country. I emailed one in Central VA and may email some more.

Nielk

One reason I like targetting people with ME/CFS is that they should be "willing to go the extra mile" i.e. take a slight gamble e.g. allow sharing of whatever data there is, to get the money. My guess and hope would be that that would stop fewer people with ME/CFS - if they get to that stage, most would hopefully finish the job.

I'm not criticising what you do - I think it's great - I just think any excuses for not doing it are weaker coming from people with ME/CFS.

True. I agree. Besides this forum, where I'm sure by now everyone has seen this thread (and others) to vote, I don't personally know of anyone who suffers from ME/CFS. That's why I sent it out to the list of my synagogue members with a letter explaining how important this is to me and others who are suffering. I signed my name to it. They all know who I am.
I put myself out there and am pretty disappointed.

I hope at least everyone who is a member of this forum and all the guests who are reading this take the few minutes to vote.

Dolphin

True. I agree. Besides this forum, where I'm sure by now everyone has seen this thread (and others) to vote, I don't personally know of anyone who suffers from ME/CFS. That's why I sent it out to the list of my synagogue members with a letter explaining how important this is to me and others who are suffering. I signed my name to it. They all know who I am.
I put myself out there and am pretty disappointed.

I hope at least everyone who is a member of this forum and all the guests who are reading this take the few minutes to vote.
I don't know about here but I know a lot of people with ME/CFS must have seen it by now on Facebook either through seeing it on Facebook pages or their friends with ME/CFS voting and passing it on. In terms of FB groups, I don't know what the combined number would be before duplicates are removed - probably 50,000-100,000+. Hard to guess how many would be duplicates but it has been posted on sites for groups in the US, Canada, the UK, Australia, Italy, Denmark, Venuzuela, etc. as well as French-, Dutch- and (IIRC) Spanish-language sites (covering a few countries). Of course, some sites might not be visited that frequently - some of the sites I visited were fairly dead with few posts this year but lots of people would have seen it but only a fraction have voted.

On the "dead sites" point: for round 2, in some circumstances, like the way it was done this time with the WPI, it is probably doing a bit of pre-publicity so people are primed and also to allow for the fact that people might not check FB sites that regularly. That's of course the advantage of E-mails and private messages - presumably they will be checked more frequently. Pre-publicity might be less useful/important for a longer contest e.g. if the one later in the year is a month long.

Well done to everyone with whatever initiatives they have tried.

ETA: More people could put it in their signatures on PR

Dolphin

Here is one person on the WPI saying about allowing the Chase Community Giving application access to your data:
No you have to allow them to have access to your info and friends . Most applications on Facebook require this to function. The bank is donating 5 million dollars to charity and they have to have measures in place to ensure that there is not any cheating for example.

Nielk

I get it and I have no problem with it. I'm just saying that it's harder to convince people to vote especially when they are not personally involved. I'm not sure why they are afraid to allow that information out. It's out there anyway for anyone to see on Facebook. For some reason when it comes to that step they are reluctant to take it. I don't think there is anything anyone can do about it.

Dolphin

Nielk, that last point of mine wasn't aimed at you specifically, just thought it was interesting/worth posting.

I get it and I have no problem with it. I'm just saying that it's harder to convince people to vote especially when they are not personally involved. I'm not sure why they are afraid to allow that information out. It's out there anyway for anyone to see on Facebook. For some reason when it comes to that step they are reluctant to take it. I don't think there is anything anyone can do about it.
The bit in bold is my point. In my last substantial post, I was just expressing my frustration at some people with ME/CFS. I've been involved in asking for money from people with ME/CFS on the internet and people would say they have no money - it was likely true for some but hardly true for all who said it/didn't donate (and don't donate to the cause in general - although I think a broader group are now donating with the WPI). I just get frustrated that some people with the illness won't do some things for the cause sometimes.

beesknees

I was going to suggest this for the 2nd round. Contact your church or synagogue asking for votes. Also, try searching for your church/synagogue to see if they have are a group on Facebook. The church I attend has a Facebook group, so you can post on their group page. This way they are already on Facebook and more likely to vote than someone not on Facebook.

Dolphin

Tips if people get error messages:

If a message pops up saying an error has occurred (even though you have liked the first page)...then it's most likely down to your computer settings.I had this problem.I ended up voting on phone.I think you need to enable cookies in your settings.This can obviously be changed back once you vote.Hope this helps.Kat :)

Try another browser

Make sure it's not in https which is a safe mode