• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The BIG CHASE: funding US ME/CFS non-profits

undcvr

Here are the requirements again:

• use all of the grant received from the program to promote or benefit one or more of the following categories: primary or secondary education, youth development, healthcare, housing, community development, the environment, combating hunger, arts and culture, human services, and animal welfare.

Sorry but why are we raising money for these issues ? Not that I do not care about them but they are not as important to me at this time. I would like the funds raised to go to me/cfs issues only.

Dolphin

Sorry but why are we raising money for these issues ? Not that I do not care about them but they are not as important to me at this time. I would like the funds raised to go to me/cfs issues only.
That is nothing to do with Phoenix Rising. These are the rules of the Chase Community Giving competition for their money. They've no particular connection with ME/CFS. They're free to set their own specifications.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Sample letter to CFS and non-CFS groups

To X,

My name is Cort Johnson. I am the President of Phoenix Rising -a chronic fatigue syndrome non-profit and I run the Phoenix Rising Forums. In 2009 and 2010 Chase Community Giving ran a Facebook contest for non-profits. Last year Chase put $5,000,000 into the project allowing 300 non-profits in the US to win at least $20,000. The top winner won $250,000 and next four runners up received $100,000. Phoenix Rising was instrumental in helping a CFS non-profit win $20,000.

Now it's our turn. Chase Giving is structured in such a way to allow non-profits that work together a better chance at winning a prize. Each person is given 20 votes and is allowed to vote for a specific Charity only twice (using a extra gift vote they are provided.) This means that 20 charities that share votes have the best chance of winning.
The contest takes place on Facebook and lasts for a month and requires that everyone voting have a Facebook account. We will begin a Facebook account membership drive prior to the beginning of the contest (last year in June) and we will provide a video you can use to show members how to participate in the contest.

http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/

We would like to invite you to consider joining us in a coalition of allied disorders (CFS, FM, IBS) to win funds in the next Chase project. If you do we request that you commit to participating fully in enrolling and supporting your members in voting during that month. This project requires committed action by all the participating groups to be successful.

http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/rules

Frank

As i told Cort i'm going to leave the organisation of this to you guys, hope someone pulls the wagon to the benefit of those CFS orgs

Dolphin

If one goes in now one can see how the ones you voted for did:
http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/leaderboard?view=my

and also the leaderboard for one's friends http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/leaderboard?view=friends - it'd be interesting if people could list some that were in the 200s, 300s, 400s - it might be good to work with these as these are the groups who can "get the vote" out to an extent anyway. The ones who were in the 200s in particular probably will be very focused.

My FB Friends leaderboard is made up of all winners except one, that AACFS (now IACFS/ME).

I didn't put a lot of thought into my voting - I just voted for ones that CFS, CFIDS or myalgic in their title:

TOP 200 MY VOTES MY FRIENDS MY AREA Official Rules
1,571 votes 162 PATIENT ALLIANCE NEUROENDOCRINEIMMU D... Coral Gables, FL
1,571 votes 162 PATIENT ALLIANCE NEUROENDOCRINEIMMU D... Coral Gables, FL
230 votes 527 NEW JERSEY CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME A... Florham Park, NJ
182 votes 632 AMERICAN ASSOCIATION FOR CHRONIC FATI... Chicago, IL
170 votes 681 CFSKNOWLEDGECENTER INC Wellington, FL
146 votes 769 NATIONAL CFIDS FOUNDATION, INC. Needham, MA
95 votes 1039 BLACKHILLS CHRONIC FATIGUE CFS AND FI... Rapid City, SD
90 votes 1088 NATIONAL CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME AND... Kansas City, MO
88 votes 1108 CFIDS EMERGENCY RELIEF SERVICES, INC. Northport, AL
85 votes 1143 CENTRAL VIRGINIA CHRONIC FATIGUE SYND... Charlottesville, VA
82 votes 1173 MASSACHUSETTS CFIDS ASSOCIATION, INC. Quincy, MA
68 votes 1361 WISCONSIN CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME AS... Sun Prairie, WI
57 votes 1530 CONNECTICUT CHRONIC FATIGUE AND IMMUN... Milford, CT
55 votes 1565 MANASOTA CFS CFIDS SUPPORT GROUP INC Sarasota, FL
53 votes 1612 TACOMA GIG HARBOR CFIDS AND FIBROMYAL... Gig Harbor, WA
52 votes 1636 CFSFM SUPPORT GROUP OF DFW INC Euless, TX
35 votes 2205 CFIDS AND FIBROMYALGIA SELF HELP PROGRAM Palo Alto, CA
29 votes 2606 CFS FMS SUPPORT GROUP OF SAN ANTONIO Schertz, TX
28 votes 2662 AMERICAN BLUE RIBBON AWARENESS FOR MY... Indianapolis, IN
10 votes 6474 CHRONIC FATIGUE SUPPORT FOUNDATION Fremont, CA

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Have we heard from Pacific Fatigue Labs - we definitely want them in there.

Hi Cort - no, haven't heard back. They were keen to be in but didn't know if they fit the eligibility criteria so via a friend I sent a query to Chase on their behalf but got no reply. Then we contacted Staci to say so and to suggest that she contact Chase directly and let us know, in case Chase were more likely to respond to an institutional email address. Haven't heard anything back.

Dolphin

Pairing co-ordinator(s) for bonus votes

(Apologies - I'm suggesting something which I'm not willing to do myself)

Last time, I think bonus votes were wasted because people sent them to people who had already got bonus votes and couldn't make use of any more.

The simplest way to work the bonus vote system as I recall is to pair people up so that each gives the other their bonus vote.

If one person or a group person (a private group could be set up to do it) could be setting up like a dating agency (maybe not the best example), it'd be good i.e. person X wants somebody to pair up, they write to this address, the person at the address had a list of people who are looking to pair up with somebody and the two give each other the bonus vote. In fact, i suppose it could be that the maximum at any one time would be 1 person although I imagine there would be times nobody was there to check the votes.

Perhaps it could be a hotmail/yahoo/gmail/whatever account that a few people have access to - or mabye it would work best as a Facebook account. Then this address is E-mailed out in appeals. Anyway others may have ideas how it could work but ideally it'd be good to have the system ready before the competition started.

Even if the system never takes off, there should be a note to say not to give your bonus vote to anyone until you know they haven't already got one.

Dolphin

Not starting till April 21

It's not starting till April 21. And it's only the top 100 this time:

http://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/?ref=bookmarks&count=0
HOW DOES THE PROGRAM WORK?
Chase Community Giving Spring 2011 will have two rounds of voting. Round 1 will begin on April 21st and run until May 4th, 2011. The 100 eligible charities with the most votes will win $25,000 and move on to Round 2. Based on the votes received in Round 2, which goes from May 12th until May 18th, 2011, your charity may be able to receive up to $500,000 in additional donations!

10 votes this time:
Everyone that becomes a part of Chase Community Giving gets ten votes to use during Round 1 and five votes during Round 2.

Tuha

so do we have a list with our 10 priority organisations? if i remember the situation from the last year, maybe it

Frank

I think on 4/4 it will be possible to look up all the organisations that are IN contest. So then we can first look them all up and then do a poll?