• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFS with autoantibodies-result of adjuvant of hepB vaccine and silicone implant

natasa778

not really new but ...

Autoimmun Rev. 2008 Oct;8(1):52-5. Epub 2008 Aug 24.
Chronic fatigue syndrome with autoantibodies--the result of an augmented adjuvant effect of hepatitis-B vaccine and silicone implant.

Nancy AL, Shoenfeld Y. Center for Autoimmune Diseases, Department of Medicine B, Sheba Medical Center, Tel-Hashomer, Israel.

BACKGROUND: Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) that defines by prolonged fatigue and other manifestations, was recently integrated into a spectrum of central sensitivity syndromes including several diseases as fibromylagia. CFS etiology is multi-factorial commonly triggered by infectious agents. Vaccines, induce an immune response similarly to infections, and may trigger just like infections autoimmune diseases, CFS and fibromyalgia. Furthermore vaccines contain an adjuvant which enhances their immune stimulation.

CASE PRESENTATION: A 56-year-old woman was diagnosed with CFS accompanied by fibromyalgia, demyelination and autoantibodies. Her illness begun following the 2nd dose of hepatitis-B vaccine, and was aggravated by the 3rd vaccination. She underwent silicone breast implantation 6 years before vaccination with no adverse events. However, between the 2nd and 3rd vaccination she suffered a breast injury with local inflammation. Upon explanation of her breast implants silicone leak was observed.

DISCUSSION: Vaccines have been reported to precede CFS mainly following exposure to multiple vaccinations (e.g. the Gulf war syndrome), or as an adverse response to the vaccine adjuvant (e.g. the macrophagic myofasciitis syndrome). Silicone is considered an adjuvant to the immune system, and may induce "the adjuvant disease". Silicone implant, especially silicone leak relationship with autoimmunity and CFS has been the focus of considerable debates.

CONCLUSION: Our patient illness started following hepatitis-B vaccine, suggesting that it was caused or accelerated by vaccination. In parallel to vaccination our patient suffered from breast injury, which might represent the time of silicone leak. The exposure to the adjuvant, silicone, might have augmented her immune response to the vaccine. To the best of our knowledge this is the first case of combined adverse effect to vaccine and silicone. Vaccine safety in individuals with silicone implants requires further studies.

PMID: 18725327

J Rheumatol. 2003 Oct;30(10):2263-7.
Rupture of silicone gel breast implants and symptoms of pain and fatigue.

Vermeulen RC, Scholte HR. Chronic Pain and Fatigue Research Centre, Waalstraat 25, 1078 BR Amsterdam, The Netherlands. rcwvermeulen@cfscentrumamsterdam.nl

OBJECTIVE: To compare symptoms of women with silicone gel breast implants and women with chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), and to study the effect of rupture of the silicone implant.

METHODS: Five hundred readers of the Dutch silicone breast implant support group magazine were asked to respond if they had been informed by the surgeon about the silicone implant status at operation, and to answer questions about symptoms of CFS. Their complaints were compared with those of 100 female patients with CFS and 40 female controls.

RESULTS: The questionnaires were returned by 319 women. Of these, 227 had symptoms of debilitating chronic fatigue. The patterns of symptoms differed from those in patients with CFS. An analysis of the relation between integrity of the implants and the symptoms could be carried out in 176 women, and 74% of these latter women reported ruptured implants. Significantly more women with ruptured implants than those with intact implants had debilitating chronic fatigue (75% vs 51%), postexertional malaise > 24 h (77% vs 51%), impaired short term memory (58% vs 38%), and multi-joint pain (77% vs 60%).

CONCLUSION: Women with silicone breast implants often report severe pain and chronic fatigue. Rupture of the implant is associated with an increase in symptoms of pain and chronic fatigue.

PMID: 14528527

Dolphin

Cher has said she has CFS in the past. I'm not sure if it is true or just wild internet speculation but I recall there was a suggestion it was linked to breast implants.

C

Cloud

I didn't know this about silicone. I did know about the Hep B Vaccine trigger....I'm one of them

Stone

A very close friend of mine associates her CFS onset with her silicone breast implants leaking. She was part of a class action law suit against the implant manufacturer.

Also, I remember watching an entire trial on Court TV about 15 years ago which went on for weeks where a woman from Reno, NV was suing a breast implant manufacturer after becoming ill with a host of symptoms (which sounded like ME/CFS to me and included Fibromyalgia) after her breast implants ruptured. She won and won big.

Dolphin

Cher has said she has CFS in the past. I'm not sure if it is true or just wild internet speculation but I recall there was a suggestion it was linked to breast implants.
I decided to have a quick look to see would anything show. Nothing showed up immediately. I don't know much about Cher or her breasts so don't know if she even had implants. What showed up was this interview with Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac:

http://www.fleetwoodmac-uk.com/articles/FMart27.htm

The Guardian
February 12, 1998
by Caroline Sullivan

[..]

After that, there were still the implants to cope with. When she got them, in 1976, to enhance her 5ft 1in figure, there was of course no hint that silicone could be toxic. She is convinced they precipitated her long bout with Epstein-Barr Syndrome (aka chronic fatigue syndrome), which set in in 1987 and culminated in major surgery two years ago to remove the implants. "The operation to take them out is horrible," Nicks says. Leaning forward, she speaks passionately, tracing a finger around her chest. "They were totally broken inside me. All that silicone was all through me, poisoning me.