• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Homeopathy

mojoey

Dear Martlet,

If I recall correctly, this is not the first time you've made such a warning to this member. How many ignored warnings does it take for a ban to become appropriate?

Hi Wayne, Happy to share my experience. I wanted to add I had previously been to a "well known" homeopath who wasn't able to help so I tried my regular doctor who is also a homeopath and very intuitive and I feel like I just lucked out. That said I am not as energetic as I was 6 months ago, but still am better than before. The great six months allowed me to build up strength for which I was grateful. Not to mention feeling more "normal" and how amazing that was. I still have to work within my energy envelope, but with this illness and all its ups and downs I'll take any good days I can get!

Herings rule of progress of cure (1845): This law states that during the course of treatment the cure progresses in reverse order of coming of the symptoms (presenting symptoms disappear in the reverse order of their appearance i.e. First In Last Out, so old symptoms might resurface).

This is a rule not law, so do not came into light everytime. Oly sometimes.

Rarely (and that too only in few chronic cases) after taking a homeopathic medicine there may be slight and short worsening of your symptoms i.e. theres an increase in your complaints. This is a reaction/detoxification/cleansing of the body while the curative action is taking place. Your body throws out any junk out of your system. It is a good sign that the body's natural healing energies have started to counteract the illness. This effect will be small and brief in time and is followed by rapid relief. After the detox, you will feel regain your health rapidly and usually your symptoms will have disappeared or be greatly subside.

Thanks for all your feedback.

I believe the problem lies with me and not my homeopath. She has requested much more feedback and more visits than I was able to give her, the reason being that the timing was just very wrong (my mistake). I live on the island of Malta in the Med, where summers are really difficult for me for two reasons: (i) the heat really gets to me, and (ii) my kids are on school hols which are very long here, so my routine goes out of whack.

I shouldn't have started trying homeopathy in June and should have waited. Also, I have an appointment to see Prof Kenny De Meirleir in Brussels on 15th November (which I made many months ago). I stopped taking the homeopathic remedy towards the end of September. I don't think I'm going to carry on with it for the moment, at least until I know the results of all the testing De Meirleir will do.

I know that this will upset my homeopath somewhat. I only hope that she understands what I'm going through as I would be very willing to try working with her again in a few months. For anyone who thinks that Homeopathy is just a placebo, believe me I was exceedingly sceptical when I started out. However I did experience certain dramatic changes which could only have been from the remedy I was taking. I think I need to do this when I am calmer and more dedicated to the treatment, this way I'll be able to build up a better relationshiop with my homeopath and work with her more closely.

Homeopathy system of medicine treats the disease as well as the person who is diseased. When visiting a homeopathic physician, the patient is asked a lot of questions regarding his background and history.

The homeopath physician needs a detailed understanding of who you are, along with details of any complaints and how you experience them. The physician identifies those features of the illness, which are most peculiarly belonging only to that person, so as to be able to identify the required medicine for the patient

Okay. If anyone really thinks that there's good evidence in favour of homeopathy as an effective and predictable branch of medical science, rather than just a form of ritual and tradition like astrology, then I'd be happy to go through looking at their evidence and explaining why I disagree.

If people just find that homeopathy helps them, rather than believing there's such clear and solid evidence in favour of the efficacy of homeopathy that it would be idiotic to deny it, then I'd rather leave them to it.

TRIPLE-BLIND STUDIES

Journal of Psychosomatic Research (Pergamon)

Efficacy of homeopathic treatment for chronic fatigue syndrome (2004)
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15016577

Michael, pointing out the problems that can occur within the scientific process validates homeopathy no more than it does astrology or witchcraft.

Are you really saying that it's idiotic to believe that homeopathy is unlikely to be any more affective than placebo because...

scientists can be influenced by their politics and prejudices?

Good luck with your talk tomorrow, but I suggest you avoid presenting that sort of argument. I don't think many people will find it convincing.

Homeopathy superior to placebo

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9310601(1997) //homeopathy is statistically significantly superior (2.45 times more effective) to placebo
http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(94)90407-3/abstract (1994) //homeopathy does more than placebo

Angela Kennedy

Can't say it wasn't coincidental or placebo effect.

Aagh! I can't help it. I can't stay out of this any longer. While I am sceptical of homeopathy (though I would hope open minded to accept evidence if it is good), the use of 'the placebo effect' in this discussion is incorrect.

'Placebo' is a NON-treatment in RCT, NOT a psychosomatic treatment. Claims of 'placebo effect' (and 'nocebo effect' for that matter) are claims utilising psychogenic explanations. Two completely different things. Claims to placebo and nocebo effect are HIGHLY unsafe, based on problematic attributions of 'mind over matter' where somatic (bodily) illness is concerned, or even malingering/hypochondria or all the other unsafe beliefs that make up any one psychogenic explanation for a somatic illness being 'cured' by belief. There may be various reasons why positive outcomes appear in 'placebo' , and I can dig out some meta-analyses which demonstrate why claims of 'placebo effect' in somatic conditions are unsafe.

In RCTs, people are made aware they may be on a placebo - so patient 'suggestibility' is an unsafe idea as well.

If I'm correct in what I've been given to understand about trials of homeopathy, in RCTs Homeopathy has been shown to perform SOMEWHAT (how much - don't know - varies?) more 'positively' than NON-TREATMENT (the placebo), similarly to other RCTS of allopathic drugs. Claiming that's due to 'placebo effect' is highly unsafe, bearing in mind there was already a 'placebo' (non treatment) in the trials! Which haven't been 'positive! The correct term is placebo response in RCTs, though I note many are trying to conflate the two, which gives the (false) effect a 'response' in an RCT (for loads of reasons) is an 'effect'.

'Nocebo' effect literature is usually based on 'colonial' type stories from great white observers, and the occasional weak correlation of negative outcomes that could be explained by other variables but have been woven into tails of voodoo and shamanism.

Yet people who believe they are exhibiting scientific rationality in being skeptical about homeopathy (which I do understand) still believe in the 'placebo' effect even though it is an unsafe concept. This is where it becomes frustrating.

Hi All,

Homeopathy, from Greek homoeo (meaning similar) and pathos (meaning suffering) is a system of medicine based on treating like with like.

I went to a classical Homeopath for 2 years and also took some classes that they offered so I am more than familiar with the negative reactions that the body can have during treatment.

That being said I did this when I was in a better state of health and could handle the negative or aggravation that a remedy can cause. Not all remedies had that effect, some just made me feel better.

As far as treating accute issues I think that it is great, when I had a kidney infection I could not move from the pain being so intense. I called my homeopath on the phone and she told me what treatment to take from the kit I had at home (which was extensive). I was better within minutes....

I guess the point of my post is that I think you need to be in a state of health that can handle it. Right now for me I would not do homeopathy as I am housebound and bedridden and I know I could not handle things. When I improve I would consider doing it again to get from point c to point d.

Good Luck,
P

This needs to be said:

http://www.studentdoctor.net/pandab...-us-from-crap-and-other-totally-random-stuff/

Liberating Us From Crap (And Other Totally Random Stuff)

Conventional, alternative or complementary is as per see.

A person who prefers, let's say homeopathic medicine, as a first line of treatment, conventional medicine is an complementary/alternative for him/her.

Likewise a person who took conventional medicine as first line of treatment, other forms of treatment are complementary/alternative.

Francelle

Two particular experiences we have had with homeopathy have been one with my husband and one with myself.

My husband had medically diagnosed polyps in his nasal cavities. They were excised from time to time but otherwise he was on no treatment.

One day our Naturopath suggested trying a particular Homeopathic remedy (can't remember the name possibly something like -Teucrium). Well he took it for three days as per instructions, then on the fourth day he blew his nose and something came out into his handkerchief. He asked me what I thought it was and I said it looked like a polyp. He got a couple more out over the next day or so. It was unbelievable as NEVER before nor SINCE has he ever had any polyps come out 'spontaneously'. We can only put it down to the targetted Homeopathic remedy which he was taking at that time.

My story was with a wart/papilloma I had on my leg for about twenty years since I was quite young. I started to take Homeopathic Thuja for something else (which also resolved) and about two weeks later I noticed that the wart/papilloma on my leg was gone. It has never come back.

Two particular experiences we have had with homeopathy have been one with my husband and one with myself.

My husband had medically diagnosed polyps in his nasal cavities. They were excised from time to time but otherwise he was on no treatment.

One day our Naturopath suggested trying a particular Homeopathic remedy (can't remember the name possibly something like -Teucrium). Well he took it for three days as per instructions, then on the fourth day he blew his nose and something came out into his handkerchief. He asked me what I thought it was and I said it looked like a polyp. He got a couple more out over the next day or so. It was unbelievable as NEVER before nor SINCE has he ever had any polyps come out 'spontaneously'. We can only put it down to the targetted Homeopathic remedy which he was taking at that time.

My story was with a wart/papilloma I had on my leg for about twenty years since I was quite young. I started to take Homeopathic Thuja for something else (which also resolved) and about two weeks later I noticed that the wart/papilloma on my leg was gone. It has never come back.

Francelle. nice to hear that you and your husband were benefited from homeopathy medicine.
Thuja is the head (main) remedy, though not the only one, in case of warts.
More about thuja here http://abchomeopathy.com/r.php/Thuj

Francelle

The most interesting studies I have read on Homeopathy are animal/veterinary studies. Such amazing results in unknowing subjects.

Interestingly the British Royal family have used Homeopathic remedies for many generations I believe.

The most interesting studies I have read on Homeopathy are animal/veterinary studies. Such amazing results in unknowing subjects.

Interestingly the British Royal family have used Homeopathic remedies for many generations I believe.

Animal Studies
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17982565 (2007) //Scientific World Journal

The English Royal Family has been under homeopathic care since 1830 and there has always been a Royal Homeopathic Doctor. The post is currently held by Dr Peter Fisher. The Queen carries her 'black box' of homeopathic remedies with her on all her travels.

Dx Revision Watch

Suzy Chapman Owner of Dx Revision Watch
Fejal/Andrew1-- There is absolutely nothing you could say that will convince me that homeopathics dont work...I see them work with lots of patients every week....Discussion over

Wow! And there was me thinking the word "forum" meant a place or platform where topics could be debated.

Dx Revision Watch

Animal Studies
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17982565 (2007) //Scientific World Journal

The English Royal Family has been under homeopathic care since 1830 and there has always been a Royal Homeopathic Doctor. The post is currently held by Dr Peter Fisher. The Queen carries her 'black box' of homeopathic remedies with her on all her travels.

In what way do the medical preferences of the British Royal Family have relevance?

Dx Revision Watch

Nancy, I note your "sig" on this forum is

"Real is scientific homeopathy"

and I note you've used this phrase several times on comments you have left on various blogs and forums.

What does it mean, please?

Michael Dessin

ME agenda--- I dont mind debating but Fejal was somewhat irrational, to say the least, if you look back at his comments.

Bottom line, I see homeopathics work with my own eyes...and bring me health I never would have thought possible with this

dd. So where is the debate???????????????????

Angela Kennedy

@ME agenda--- I dont mind debating but Fejal was somewhat irrational, to say the least, if you look back at his comments.

Bottom line, I see homeopathics work with my own eyes...and bring me health I never would have thought possible with this

dd. So where is the debate???????????????????

Because your own assertions (as any random person) are not necessarily reliable, for many, many reasons (absolutely no offence intended). Many of us have the same problems with the miraculously 'cured' LP proponents.