• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does anyone else get Easily Confused?

Victoria

I too hate the way people judge me, Sickofsickness.

(or should I say, judged - past tense).

Now I'm not working & spend most days on my own, I rarely have anyone judge me. I still get the occasional jibe from family members though.

Despite their knowing I have diagnosed health problems, the reality is that I see & hear their judgement every time they visit (or nearly every time). I suspect they presume because I can get around & live a relatively normal life, that I am not as unwell as I say, despite the test/scan results I have in my copy of my medical records.

I prefer to spend my time on my own (except for my dear SIL who is one of the most understanding & compassionate people I've ever met).

I must say that when one has only got oneself to look after & can keep everyday life simple, the frustrations of memory & other cognitive disfunction become so much easier to deal with.

Australian researchers have discovered the cause of Alzheimers - in the news only a few weeks ago (or was it a couple of months ago - can't remember).

Zinc is causing a blockage of iron in the brain. In the initial trials of 79 patients, they were able to treat this & restore these patient's memories. (I had to flip through my A4 notepad on my desk to find this info written down when watching the news that night, to recall what the newsman said - I knew it was something to do with iron in the brain, but couldn't think of the word "zinc").

Actually just looked up one of the articles on the internet to confirm what I wrote down all those weeks ago.......

(one news report said that they were able to improve the memories of 78 patients - different internet sites seem to report this discovery in slightly different ways).

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1349032/Can-vitamin-B-slow-Alzheimer-s

I wonder if those of us with memory problems had our brains checked & then had the same treatment as these 79 (or 78) patients, whether WE would recover (or improve) our memory problems?

Interesting thought.

alice1

Thanks for this thread.It's somewhat comforting knowing that not remembering why I walked into a room is a shared issue.
I have to laugh about it or I'd be too afraid of what the future holds.

antherder

Thanks for this thread.It's somewhat comforting knowing that not remembering why I walked into a room is a shared issue.
I have to laugh about it or I'd be too afraid of what the future holds.

Yes, laughing is really the only option... the number of times I have walked into my bedroom to see what the time is, looked at my solitary clock, walked back into the lounge and promptly forgotten what the time was. Then I repeat the walking into the bedroom bit, only to repeat the forgetting bit, again, and again...oh dear...I really scare myself sometimes...

Perhaps I should ask Santa for another clock this Christmas...

antherder

I was thinking that maybe we should ask Santa for another Brain this Christmas (but I guess a clock is easier for the elves to make) LOL

Ha! Another brain! Indeed! Another better brain...Why didn't I think of that! Oh wait...I think I know the answer to this one...