• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The reason we have brain fog?

Rrrr

the below quote is from this article
http://www.ageofautism.com/2010/09/my-wife-my-daughter-and-xmrv.html

At a recent retroviral conference in San Francisco in February of this year there was a good deal of discussion from Emory University researchers about how XMRV is able to infect cells. While it's known that XMRV can infect cells called fibroblasts in the prostate, the epithelial cells also expressed a large number of antigens suggesting they're similarly infected. The epithelial cells are smooth muscle cells which line the interior of blood vessels, telling them to open up or constrict. The researchers at the conference theorized these blood vessel infections might cause many of the brain and other abnormalities observed in chronic fatigue syndrome.

Abnormalities in blood flow in the brains of children with autism have also been observed and discussed for many years.

pamb

Hi Rrrr,

Thanks for clearly pointing this one out. I find it quite interesting as, several years ago before we had a clue about ME/CFS, and were making the rounds of the neurologists, two suggested they thought the symptoms John had were related to blood flow in the brain. But of course they apologized as they also said there was nothing they could do about it. If this theory proves true I'll take delight in sending it to them to let them know they were right and to help them in the future as they will doubtless see more ME/CFS patients.

John's brain fog has been one of his worst symptoms right from the very beginning, so maybe his has taken up residence in his brain a bit more than it has with other people who have other symptoms that are more challenging. Interesting times indeed

Enid

How interesting many thanks. Amongst test results of mine were "abnormalties"of unknown origin was a weak anti-smooth muscle antiody. I'm no Scientist but this seems to tie up.

illsince1977

A shadow of my former self
the below quote is from this article
http://www.ageofautism.com/2010/09/my-wife-my-daughter-and-xmrv.html

At a recent retroviral conference in San Francisco in February of this year there was a good deal of discussion from Emory University researchers about how XMRV is able to infect cells. While it's known that XMRV can infect cells called fibroblasts in the prostate, the epithelial cells also expressed a large number of antigens suggesting they're similarly infected. The epithelial cells are smooth muscle cells which line the interior of blood vessels, telling them to open up or constrict. The researchers at the conference theorized these blood vessel infections might cause many of the brain and other abnormalities observed in chronic fatigue syndrome.

Abnormalities in blood flow in the brains of children with autism have also been observed and discussed for many years.

Hmmmmmmm, interesting!
Epithelial cells line the blood vessel walls - might that also explain the low BP and POTS many of us suffer? Rather than a malfunctioning hypothalamus that's unable to control normal BP/heart rate functions, mightn't it be more local to the blood vessels? My doc once mentioned to me there was a thought that a toxin in the blood vessels caused the dilation that leads to low BP in CFS. Maybe he was right, but it's infection rather than a toxin! I will try to squeeze relating this in on my next appointment.

richvank

Hi, rrrr and the group.

For quite a few years, Dr. Byron Hyde has been reporting that he sees vasculitis in high-resolution SPECT scans of the brain in ME patients.

Also, Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker has been suggesting that the results he sees in his patients suggest low capillary perfusion. I think he bases it on VEGF measurements and on elevated lactate on magnetic resonance spectroscopy of the brain.

Maybe these things are consistent.

Best regards,

Rich

Rrrr

Hi, rrrr and the group.

For quite a few years, Dr. Byron Hyde has been reporting that he sees vasculitis in high-resolution SPECT scans of the brain in ME patients.

Also, Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker has been suggesting that the results he sees in his patients suggest low capillary perfusion. I think he bases it on VEGF measurements and on elevated lactate on magnetic resonance spectroscopy of the brain.

Maybe these things are consistent.

Best regards,

Rich

it all seems to fit together.

Forebearance

Interesting! Thanks, Rrrr!

What if it is both an infection AND toxins that are constricting our capilaries?
We already know that toxins are likely to do it, thanks to Dr. Shoemaker's work.
So now we know an infection with XMRV might be able to do it.

If you want to feel an effect from Co Q-10, Rrrr, try taking 500 mg at once. If you take less, the effect is subtle. Unfortunately, it's really expensive. Otherwise, I'd take boatloads of it.

Forebearance

Otis

Señor Mumbler
Forebearance;125824If you want to feel an effect from Co Q-10 said:
And this large of dose helps primarily with brain fog? Any other benefits - or risks?

Rrrr

thanks, fore. but i can't really try anything new right now. i react badly to everything now!

Interesting! Thanks, Rrrr!

What if it is both an infection AND toxins that are constricting our capilaries?
We already know that toxins are likely to do it, thanks to Dr. Shoemaker's work.
So now we know an infection with XMRV might be able to do it.

If you want to feel an effect from Co Q-10, Rrrr, try taking 500 mg at once. If you take less, the effect is subtle. Unfortunately, it's really expensive. Otherwise, I'd take boatloads of it.

Forebearance

illsince1977

So now we know an infection with XMRV might be able to do it.Forebearance
Just to clarify, I was referring to toxins/XMRV causing low BP through vasodilation, not constriction.

Rich, my doc may indeed have been referring to Shoemaker's work. I'm not sure.

markmc20001

so that is why i get cold then?

An observation of mine is I get cold after drinking caffine, and I also get much worse brain fog. So messing up the blood flow makes sense to me since caffine affects NO2 and NO2 affects epithelial function.

I had an MRI done with 10 lesions showing on my brain, and I have aspergers type symptoms and CFIDS. So the connection seems to be a no-brainer for me. 8o)

Good info!Thanks!

Enid

My brain scans abnormal and best Virologists on to ME/Cfs now. Wow was it good to sink the Psycos.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
The correct dosages of Carnitine, CoQ10, B12, supplements for the nuerotransmitters, the correct hormones... Lots of things help. My fog is all gone now, completely.

illsince1977

Is it personal experience with a virologist being interested in your abnormal brain scan, or just your optimism shining through?

Sinking/drowning, I like it. Or perhaps more appropriately, getting stabbed while in the shower a la Psycho? ;)
My brain scans abnormal and best Virologists on to ME/Cfs now. Wow was it good to sink the Psycos.