• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

XMRV: What's the next big event?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I've got so used to having something major to look forward to in XMRV research - the Alter paper, the XMRV workshop and so on - that I'm wondering what the next big XMRV event will be.

Is there anything scheduled where new research will be reported, progress on the blood supply issues, funding decisions, anything...

CBS

I've got so used to having something major to look forward to in XMRV research - the Alter paper, the XMRV workshop and so on - that I'm wondering what the next big XMRV event will be.

Is there anything scheduled where new research will be reported, progress on the blood supply issues, funding decisions, anything...

The next big event is probably the CFSAC meeting (October 13-14 - http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2010/2010-22393.htm).

Personally, I'm looking forward to Dr. Singh's XMRV/MLV cadaver study (and no, I was not part of the cohort!). It should answer a lot of questions about tropism and pathophysiology. Not too sure it will be comforting but perhpas it will provide a significant shove to those holding the purse strings.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I think the UK study is out soon. So for us in the uk a big event, i think. We know they did find it in the uk, but i think thats all we know so far.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I think the UK study is out soon. So for us in the uk a big event, i think. We know they did find it in the uk, but i think thats all we know so far.

There was an abstract at the XMRV workshop by Dr Mikovits stating that ">60%" of UK PWC who had sent blood were XMRV+. Is that the study you're thinking of, or is there another? I thought it was odd to report the results as ">60%" instead of giving the exact percentage. I wondered if that meant that they had only run an initial batch of tests and so thought that 60% was the lower bound. I'd certainly like to see more detail on that study.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
The next big event is probably the CFSAC meeting (October 13-14 - http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2010/2010-22393.htm).

Personally, I'm looking forward to Dr. Singh's XMRV/MLV cadaver study (and no, I was not part of the cohort!). It should answer a lot of questions about tropism and pathophysiology. Not too sure it will be comforting but perhpas it will provide a significant shove to those holding the purse strings.

Glad you're not in that cohort, CBS! Yes, it's true that the research that will do us most good in terms of funding and eventual treatment will seem pretty scarey. I feel very conflicted about the whole thing but since that will make zero difference to how it turns out, am trying not to get too invested in it (not sure I'm succeeding!).

Will they announce who the new people are who are being appointed to CFSAC at the upcoming meeting? It will be interesting to see how much extra oomph they have now because of XMRV.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Sasha - yes thats the one i mean. The results have not been officialy anounced. they will be soon. I think the reason for the vagueness with the figures is because they are only brinning out the results for the first half tested. Then the others come out later.
Someone please correct me if i am wrong!

Jemal

I am glad you started this discussion Sasha. There was always something new on the horizon and with the XMRV workshop now in the past, I find there's nothing new for me to look forward to. It's like te research is stuck in limbo. I know this is not true, but I find myself getting more and more impatient. We need help *now* !

Scientists still disagree if the virus exists... and if there's consensus then the next question arrives: does the virus cause CFS? Argh. Need treatment.