• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Question about WPI

leela

Hi all,

I can't quite figure out if WPI plans to be exclusively a research facility or a patient clinic as well.
I had the impression that the intention was to include the latter, but I can see no reference to it, and have not received a reply to my email enquiry. (I know thay are busy having just moved into the new facility.)

I have to move out of my house soon, and was halfway thinking of relocating to the Reno area to make myself available to WPI and clinical trials etc. Can anyone more in the know tell me whether this makes sense or not? Moving is a huge hassle one way or the other, and I'm wondering if it might be useful to move nearer to some hopeful medical help. Would WPI be offering this in the near future?

Thanks!

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Leela I e-mailed them several months ago about the same but heard nothing. They did say a while back it would be a treatment centre as well. Maybe they just haven't got enough money yet.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
In the KUNR (local Nevada) radio interview with Dr Lombardi & Mike Hillerby (who is the director of WPI), I think they said they were recruiting a medical director and hoped to be starting up their clinical side towards the end of the year. I think!

Frank

I remember Andrea telling something about being the first patint of the WPI clinic, so they are going clinical too, but it may take some time.

leela

Thanks everyone! Keep the info flowing....I am considering recruiting a friend to take me out there on a scouting expedition, which could include a visit to the physical building, and perhaps a chat with some knowledgeable human...

CBS

WPI Clinical

Hi Leela,

Sorry to hear that you're having to move. That's always a big effort and disruption.

This is from the WPI web-page (http://www.wpinstitute.org/news/news_cmm.html):

The University of Nevada School of Medicine, Center for Molecular Medicine, now under construction, is the future home of the Whittemore Peterson Institute. This state-of-the-art facility on the northern edge of the Reno campus is scheduled to open in 2010. In addition to the Institute the 100,000 square foot Center will house portions of several university departments and include research laboratories, clinical space, and a vivarium.
It's my understanding that they hope to be seeing patients in the clinic by the end of the year. I don't know how they will prioritize access/appointments or what insurance/payment arrangements they will accept.

Being in Reno would be interesting (have you ever visited Reno? - I'd go to Lake Tahoe with a 30 minute drive to Reno in a heart beat) and it would make access to the WPI quite easy. On the other hand, I've been seeing my CFS doctor in the Bay Area once every three to four months and given that my family is in SLC and the costs of living in CA, it's easier and cheaper for me to simply book a regular flight for my visits. All of this might change if I anti-retroviral treatment were an option in the near future.

Good luck with your decision and your move.

leela

Being in Reno would be interesting (have you ever visited Reno?

Ack! Yes I have. I'm not a city person, or even a Town person at this point, so yes, I'd be looking for an out-in-the-boonies situation if I moved to the area.
You're lucky you can still manage air travel! I feel a tinge of envy..... as a lifelong world traveller, it is so disheartening that even a brief drive to town for groceries wipes me out--let alone a flight to anywhere! Utah is so nice. Certain parts of it make my heart sing.

CBS

Ack! Yes I have. I'm not a city person, or even a Town person at this point, so yes, I'd be looking for an out-in-the-boonies situation if I moved to the area.
You're lucky you can still manage air travel! I feel a tinge of envy..... as a lifelong world traveller, it is so disheartening that even a brief drive to town for groceries wipes me out--let alone a flight to anywhere! Utah is so nice. Certain parts of it make my heart sing.

Leela,

I have that same tinge of envy. My travel for the last several years has been nothing but medical (my wife drives to and from the airport as well as to the doctor's office, no sight seeing, not even a stop for lunch that isn't on the way to or from, on the plane back that same afternoon). And even then, I rest up for several days and I'm wiped out for days (at least). In my former life, my fair share of international travel and lots of fun.

And yeah, in spite of Cort's wondering why Dr. Singh might leave NYC for SLC, have you seen the view from her office?

Attachments

• MtOlympus..jpg
    MtOlympus..jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 31
Yeah stay in the boonies... better air, less noise, etc. Besides, don't go to expensive area so you have more money for the testing, meds, etc.

leela

Yeah stay in the boonies... better air, less noise, etc. Besides, don't go to expensive area so you have more money for the testing, meds, etc.
Right on, SoS!!
And CBS, regarding the view.... please have your wife pick me up at the airport ASAP ;)

LaurelW

Yeah, it's pretty fabulous scenery. Not to mention having both Dr. Bateman, the Dr. Lights and Dr. Singh here.