• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME/CFS Cytokine/Chemokine profile

Rrrr

A few weeks ago someone (I don't recall who...?) posted this on PR. It was on a physical (not online) bulletin board at WPI on the public opening day. I think it is not yet published, but it was publicly displayed. Anyway, I am surprised we have not yet discussed it more. Or have we and I just don't recall...? It seems to me that this is an amazing possible marker of ME/CFS. And, separately, it's certainly something to use to gage treatments (i.e. get these lab tests done pre and post treatments).

Question: Does anyone know where we can get tested for these things? Quest? LabCorp?

(If this has been discussed elsewhere, or if people think this should not be public as I don't think its been published yet, let me know and I'll erase this thread.)
_______

Treating cytokine up/down-regulation
______

WPI & NCI Paper

"Type 1 IFN Pathyway Response to Viral Infection in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome"

Mikovits,J. Hagen,K. Peterson,D. Stephens,R. Lombardi,V.
Whittemore Peterson Institute, Reno, NV, USA. Laboratory of Experimental Immunology, National Cancer Institute-Frederick, Frederick, MD, USA.

118 CFS patients
138 Controls

Cytokines/Chemokines:

CFS:

IL-8: 1045
MIP-1a: 763
MIP-1b: 1985
IL-6: 336
TNF-a: 148
IL-1b: 500
IP-10: 98
IFN-a: 35
IL-13: 28
IL-7 160

Controls:

IL-8: 13
MIP-1a: 91
MIP-1b: 164
IL-6: 29
TNF-a: 13
IL-1b: 56
IP-10: 32
IFN-a: 60
IL-13: 86
IL-7: 60

Guide to Chemokines/Cytokines:

IL-8: RNase L & CMV activated
MIP-1a: Elevated in neurodegenerative disease
MIP-1b: Elevated in neurodegenerative disease
IL-6: Stimulates chronic inflammation
TNF-a: Stimulates chronic inflammation
IL-1b: Stimulates chronic inflammation
IP-10: Interferon response protein
IFN-a:Stimulates macrophages and NK cells to elicit an anti viral response
IL-13: Inhibits inflammatory cytokine production
IL-7: Stimulates proliferation of B & T lymphocytes & NK cells

Summary and conclusions:

Cytokine and Chemokine profiling in combination with machine logic algorythms reveals an inflammatory signature consistent with an over-expression of herpes virus and is useful for diagnosis for CFS

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Hi rrr,

I think VIP offers these tests. They don't give the list of tests on their website but they do on their requisition forms. I have a copy and they list tests like--Cytokine Inflammatory Profile, plus Immune Profiles 1 & 2. Course they are expensive and no guarantees about Medicare. For instance, the Cytokine Inflammatory Profile costs $400.

Also, if you look at K. De Meirlier's poster paper from the XMRV conference, he suggests that immune markers like these could be "signatures" for ME/CFS. He also lists the immune values he found in 16 patients.

Sushi

Chris

Hi; I don't know whether these slides have been put onto the net, but Nancy Klimas has a great slide from her presentation at the IiME conference this year of the "splash" of cytokine reaction to exercise in CFS, using a computer model generated by her Edmonton "genius," whose name I have forgotten. She also has a recent paper giving cytokines that characterise CFS. She lists several that could be used as biomarkers. Chris

Quick image of the above data :
cytokines.jpg

Rrrr

I think VIP offers these tests. They don't give the list of tests on their website but they do on their requisition forms. I have a copy and they list tests like--Cytokine Inflammatory Profile, plus Immune Profiles 1 & 2. Course they are expensive and no guarantees about Medicare. For instance, the Cytokine Inflammatory Profile costs $400.

Also, if you look at K. De Meirlier's poster paper from the XMRV conference, he suggests that immune markers like these could be "signatures" for ME/CFS. He also lists the immune values he found in 16 patients.

Sushi

Yes, re: De M!! So this is confirmation of WPI's findings.

acer2000

The strange thing I see is that Klimas found IL-8 lower in CFS cases whereas WPI and De M found it hugely elevated. My own experience is that mine is very elevated and I am xmrv+. I wonder if that has to do with the testing methodology, stage of infection, etc... I guess it could have to do with co-infection like they say (CMV), but my CMV tests have always been negative. I guess they could be wrong about that too... *shrug*

redo

Great post rrr!

Sushi, do you know which ones of the mentioned immune markers the 400$ test includes?

Hi rrr,

Sushi

C

Cloud

I've done most all these immune panels multiple times with VIP. So yes, they do them.

C

Cloud

cloud..does VIP do IL-13??

Good question Sue.....I don't see that one in my records. I'm not sure if I have records on the full panel, but here is what I do have: IL1b, IL2, IL4, IL6, IL8, IL10 ..... also the Elastace, RNaseL, NK function, Immunobillin, NOAS (Nitric Oxide Synthase assay) and IgG subclasses were all done with VIP. We also run an occaisional a T&B cell rearrangement.

Others listed below that I have done with VIP is the TNFa & IFN

Daffodil

hi cloud. i have been meaning to get T&B cell rearrangement too....thats at another lab, right?..i think quest does it if i recall

Rrrr

cloud, how many times have you done these immune tests? and have you noticed any changes depending on yr treatments?

C

Cloud

hi cloud. i have been meaning to get T&B cell rearrangement too....thats at another lab, right?..i think quest does it if i recall

Good morning Sue, Yes, the T&B cell rearrangement is a blood test. Mine is always negative...pheeww! I was mistaken on that one being done at VIP. Dr Peterson uses a Labcorp office for all the draws, some they perform themselves and some are sent on over to VIP. This particular test is done by Labcorp.

xrayspex

what do you think it means if your rnase elastase are signif elevated and nkc's signif low but cytyochines sorta normal? that happend to me 18 mo.ago vip, and just found out month ago xmrv+.
I am going to retest cythochine profile now too, when i had them tested in jan 09 it was after 6 mo.s of LDN immune modulator, if that helped still doesnt explain why other things were way abnormal. error? not in a flare at the time? havent been on immune modulator since and sort of flared from dental recently so will be good to retest anyway. I am avg. 60 kps though too.

redo

what do you think it means if your rnase elastase are signif elevated and nkc's signif low but cytyochines sorta normal? that happend to me 18 mo.ago vip, and just found out month ago xmrv+.
I am going to retest cythochine profile now too, when i had them tested in jan 09 it was after 6 mo.s of LDN immune modulator, if that helped still doesnt explain why other things were way abnormal. error? not in a flare at the time? havent been on immune modulator since and sort of flared from dental recently so will be good to retest anyway. I am avg. 60 kps though too.

Although the cytokine/chemokine profiling is pretty accurate, it's not 100% (you can see some about that on the link in post 10 - page 23 - see thread about it below). And it is tested on people who haven't been receiving treatment. As you have received LDN treatment, you're different from the patients in the study. Perhaps the LDN treatment have had some effect.

Anyway, I'd appreciate it if you could continue that discussion in this thread :thumbsup:
Message to mod; please also move the question and answer over to that thread.