• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Need something but got no money???

taniaaust1

World wide

I havent heard anyone on this site talk about using freecycle so thought I'd mention it. I once got a mobile phone and also a extremely good washing machine for free throu there.

Freecycle operates right around the world and you can request anything you need so great for us when we are struggling with our finances. http://www.freecycle.org/

Australia

For anyone in Australia.. there are also government organisations too which can help. I got a fridge and freezer paid for by them and got granted 4 new tyres on my car (back when i was driving to my own appointments). They also paid my car registration etc. (one just needs to prove on is in hardship and needs those things)

Min

I love Freecycle, & am amazed what people will take - it certainly saves things going to the tip/dump. A lady came in the summer & helped my husband take down our old lean to greenhouse, & then she took it away really pleased with it. We have a composter from Freecycle.

liverock

Too many time wasters in Freecycle IMO.

Only used Freecycle once when I wanted to get rid of a rowing machine. Never again, 10 people emailed they wanted it, but not one replied to my acknowledgement email. Eventually got rid of it after reposting and 2 weeks of further hassle.

taniaaust1

Too many time wasters in Freecycle IMO.

Only used Freecycle once when I wanted to get rid of a rowing machine. Never again, 10 people emailed they wanted it, but not one replied to my acknowledgement email. Eventually got rid of it after reposting and 2 weeks of further hassle.

I heard of someone else who also had trouble trying to get rid of something. I kind of wonder why that happens. Ive never tried to give away anything myself there as I give my freebies away to local community charity.

I have had little problem giving away things, but usually don't get anything there. I did try to give away something smaller and had a no show. With getting free things, some people are really quick or sometimes it goes to whoever has the best story. It's great some people are getting really useful stuff.

Hope123

I suggest Craigslist -- it's international and there's a free section. Also works if you want to give something away. I know people who have furnished large parts of their house with free stuff off of Craigslist.

Not so much items but for other things - like a place to stay (not free) - I have also done the reverse -- posted for what I want and have received calls/ e-mails back.

jimbob

ME/CFS84-XMRV+
speaking of craigslist, I got a lot of response from the Boston area when I posted info about xmrv and the general population! Every 2 days I'm going to post in a different part of the country.