• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

From the 1st annual XMRV conference

taniaaust1

Personally, I can't help but think it's good news if future research into ME/CFS is held to a higher standard of science than those pschological studies have used. I personally don't want to take a drug that's proclaimed successful according to the Simon Wessely standard of success (i.e., a drug that works as well as CBT or GET). No, thanks.

Nods.. i completely agree... what concerns me thou is that if it turns out XMRV isnt causing our illness (but rather a secondary thing).. things will just go back to how they were, with studies being based on just opinions rather then tests of improvements etc. I wish some guidelines would be made of what designates actual improvement when it comes to CFS/ME. There is currently no standard..so everything is just opinion rather then facts.

taniaaust1

If anyone is going to email this man, I would suggest please being respectful. I did not see anything in the video that indicates he has a bias against CFS. I'm sure he doesn't understand the severity of the disease, but who does? He asked some reasonable questions that any good scientist would. I used to be a research scientist and I could see myself making the same points and asking the same questions that he did. He wants to be careful but that does not mean he would not be open-minded. We meed to make important allies in important places not more enemies.

Here's what I wrote:
Dear Dr. Mellors,

I wanted to thank you for attending the recent XMRV conference. I am a former research scientist (atmospheric science) suffering from CFS. This is a disease that has totally destroyed my professional and personal life. This disease has been marginalized by its name and stigma. I know there are many questions about the role of XMRV in CFS that have not been answered; however, I hope you will adopt or maintain some interest in CFS, as it is currently being neglected. I can get absolutely no help from any doctors because the research in this disease is zero. Whatever becomes of XMRV, we need smart, respected research scientists studying CFS. Thank you for taking the time to read my message.

pine.. that was a great mail. sweet and short :) . Thanks so much for sharing it.

taniaaust1

Andrea Whittemore urged us to send letters asap to Dr. Collins and Dr. Fauci. The time is now- they are being read. I will send to Fauci shortly. Let's all please send respectful letters and capitalize on the moment.

Dear Dr. Collins,

I would like to thank you for the important international XMRV conference at NIH last week. It is encouraging as a CFS patient to see this matter taken seriously at the highest levels of Government. Your attendance and commitment signaled a new day of hope for 1 to 4 million severely ill people, and the safety of the nation’s blood supply.

The purpose of my letter is to implore you to immediately invest massive funding into CFS/XMRV research, specifically for clinical trials. In particular, I am requesting that you issue massive grants to the Whittemore Peterson Institute, who have shown an uncanny tenacity and ability to think outside the box. They have made enormous scientific strides in such a short period of time, and earned it. In your Rock Stars of Science conference, I observed you promise a NIH resource commitment to independent labs, which will offer cross-benefits to a broad spectrum of diseases. Given the WPI’s commitment to a variety of neuro-immune diseases (CFS, MS, Autism, Gulf War Syndrome), I can think of no better beneficiary.

On a more personal level, I am thrilled to see you heading the NIH. Your public sharing of your faith in the scientific community shows me all I need to know about your courage. I too have a very strong faith. In fact, along with my family, my faith has been my only shelter in my 4-year ordeal with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

On a Sunday afternoon in the middle of September 2006, I abruptly fell sick with what I though was a common flu. At that point I was a 34 year old, award-winning Television Writer Producer (network names). I was also a peak athlete, intensively training for years. I made a large six figure salary, and worked in a career I had always dreamed of. I was on top of the world in every way you can imagine. Being sick soon collapsed an otherwise charmed life.

Days turned into weeks, and then months, with no relief from near debilitating conditions. I suffered constant sore throats, headaches, swollen glands, a constantly fluctuating temperature, excruciating fatigue, and severe cognitive difficulties that prevented me from deciphering simple words at times. Pretty soon, I was faking my way through work meetings, when I could not comprehend simple information that was being communicated to me. That was terrifying. Worse, on days when I could muster the energy to attempt exercise, I would experience a strange explosion of symptoms 24 to 36 hours later that left me near bed-ridden. I have since learned that this condition is called Post Exertional Malaise, and is a hallmark symptom of CFS. It renders you incapable of exercise, which was my favorite activity of all.

With no clear medical alternatives available to me, I soon wasted tens of thousands of dollars on alternative treatments, which did nothing but drain my bank account. Soon after that, it became clear that I no longer had the capacity to work in the profession that I loved so much. Recently, I have been teaching High School, where the hours are more conducive to my condition. But, it’s becoming clear that I soon might not be able to endure even that schedule. The cognitive load is also more than I can handle. Yet, my personal pride has prevented me from throwing in the towel and claiming disability. However sick I am, I will contribute to this country that I love.

In a matter of a year I had lost my health, career, creative capacities, physical conditioning, ability to play sports, and any social life I had known. Worse yet, because of the demeaning stigma of a maliciously worded disease name, I have had to hide my condition from the world, in order to not be viewed as some sort of faker. Luckily, the support of my friends and family never waivered, because they have respected my tenacity and toughness from when I was a kid. In fact, they recently reminded me about how I used to brag about my superior health, and predict that when I was 50, I would look like a 20 year old. I had never been sick my entire life.

Throughout the four years of chronic illness, I have maintained my deep faith, trusting that there is a larger good that I am being shown through my horrific ordeal. Like the Biblical character JOB, I feel my mettle is being tested. To date, I know that I have passed that test, even in the midst of invisibility and near mockery from the scientific community and Government agencies, which have chosen to waste research on a psychogenesis for this debilitating physical disease, with the scant funds they have been given.

I have also heard certain researchers claim CFS is simply depression. The irony is quite striking to me. The incredible fact is that I am not depressed, when by all accounts I should be. I am hopeful and determined. And unrelenting. I will not stop til I am cured. There is a God who is watching, and he is gauging how I handle this absurd set of circumstances fate has delivered to me. And he is proud of what I have done with them. I can say that with no arrogance or exaggeration whatsoever. I have held my head high, even when I could barely walk down the street. Yet, I would be very curious to see how those who brazenly float such demeaning theories would mentally endure under similar circumstances.

Dr. Collins, from one man of faith to another, I implore you to honor the funding requests I have requested. I have turned to my faith time and again with a spirit of courage and strength, though physically very ill. Indeed, I have spiritually grown a great deal as a result. But I have carried my cross for too long. I have endured too much. There needs to be a speedy end to this road I am on. I just want my life back.

I have been frozen in time, and am approaching 39. There is still time for me to regain the physical existence I am entitled to. I know that you have the power and purse strings to fast track this research to a speedy therapeutic end. Please do.

I’ve recently observed several clips of you singing on Youtube. In each of them, I was struck by your infectious passion and love of life. This is what I want back. I want that creative joy back that is buried beneath a sick body.

Please send massive funding for clinical trials. Please massively fund the Whittemore Peterson Institute. And please say a prayer for me.

Best Wishes,

thanks for sharing letter.. that was heart moving. Hopefully he will read it and feel that too.

anne_likes_red

I would really hope that someone will publish a water tight study showing XMRV association with autism. I really believe that story would be too big for the media to ignore, and maybe ME could ride on the back of it.

I agree. Also, each child with Autism often has at least two strong adults advocating on his behalf. They know how to make some serious noise!

leela

List of Pertinent email Adresses?

Okay I;m having a massive attack of the Stupids lately, and the Overwhelms, so I was wondering...
could someone compose a list of email addresses of doctors researches govt peeps that we should be
mailing? I'd be delighted to try and compose a short, civil plea on our behalf, but can't even begin to figure out where or with whom to start. It sounds like some of you more organized folk might have a handy list to post or otherwise share?

thanks!
:Retro redface:

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Good one!!

If anyone is going to email this man, I would suggest please being respectful. I did not see anything in the video that indicates he has a bias against CFS. I'm sure he doesn't understand the severity of the disease, but who does? He asked some reasonable questions that any good scientist would. I used to be a research scientist and I could see myself making the same points and asking the same questions that he did. He wants to be careful but that does not mean he would not be open-minded. We meed to make important allies in important places not more enemies.

Here's what I wrote:
Dear Dr. Mellors,

I wanted to thank you for attending the recent XMRV conference. I am a former research scientist (atmospheric science) suffering from CFS. This is a disease that has totally destroyed my professional and personal life. This disease has been marginalized by its name and stigma. I know there are many questions about the role of XMRV in CFS that have not been answered; however, I hope you will adopt or maintain some interest in CFS, as it is currently being neglected. I can get absolutely no help from any doctors because the research in this disease is zero. Whatever becomes of XMRV, we need smart, respected research scientists studying CFS. Thank you for taking the time to read my message.

This guy is obviously intelligent and vocal, but in a good way. He is on the fence and letters like this is what will put him in our pasture. Good work!!

Sean

Very well argued post #438 Sean. The only part I disagree with is that the definition of CFS that forms the basis for cohorts in a study is not a political question, it's a crucial scientific question - indeed the crucial scientific issue that explains what's really going on. The political part comes when you start apportioning blame or ascribing motives.

Don't disagree with that. All I am saying is that for now the technical and political issues with the existing definitions, especially their relationship to HRMVs, are best served by the viral researchers concentrating on developing a reliable test. The rest will flow on from that. I don't want them getting bogged down in heated debates about the definitions right now. That can wait a bit.

Megan

pine108kell,

Thanks for the above message is fantastic because it isrespectful, short and to the point. These are the ones that might be read by really busy people.

Martlet

Recovery Soon - That was a really lovely letter and I hope it gets to where it needs to be and affects Dr Collins as much as it affected me. I will say a prayer for you. One for me?

pictureofhealth

XMRV - L'Agent du Jour
Ok, so I've just been on the 'phone with a relative who happens to be a Urologist. Knowing I have been diagnosed with ME/CFS he asked if I had heard the news about the retrovirus?! I mentioned that I happened to have been glued to my laptop and the forums all this week!

I asked how he had heard about it? A colleague of his has just returned from a medical conference in Australia and asked him if knew that the XMRV link with prostate cancer may also now be relevant in CFS/ME - as another colleague had mentioned it at the Oz conference!

So the UK press may not have reported the news, but word is spreading slowly via the professionals in various corners of the globe at lightning speed - which is the main thing.

Sing

Letters to Collins and Fauci?

One nagging concern that I have is that it is very clear that the current center of attention is XMRV and not CFS. This would be like saying that 25 years ago the center of attention was HIV and not AIDS. If HIV turned out to be just another co-infection of AIDs 25 years ago and not its cause would they have abandoned research on AIDs simply because it wasn't caused by the newest retro-virus. Of course not. AIDs was the disease and a very serious one, not just the cause. It was research into AIDs that was being funded not research into HIV per se. Identifying HIV and demonstrating that it caused AIDs was an effort to understand, prevent, and treat AIDs.

As I mentioned in another post, it is CFS that we must be pushing the NIH to fund research for, regardless of its cause. There is plenty of evidence (as I mentioned in the other post, link to Dr Komaroff's latest video) that this is a serious, physical, disabling, permanent illness without a known cause, with an unknown means of transmission, and with at least one million US citizens suffering from it. Whatever worries the world blood supply has about XMRV continues if XMRV is not the cause of CFS, since some other unknown pathogen is likely still lurking in the supply. But the problem is not just with the blood supply, the problem that this disease continues to destroy the lives of new people every day, regardless of blood transfusions.

I got this disease 21 years ago and have suffered severely ever since. When none of my family got sick I was relieved, at least it was only me. Then 7 years later my daughter got sick with it, suddenly, just like me. She went from being the top student in her high school to being bedridden, and chronically ill. She barely made it through school. Struggling to do her school work from her bed.

Now I help my wife care for some of our grand children. What about them? What next?

XMRV has gotten CFS in the lime light but it is up to us to make sure that it is CFS that is funded and researched. If the XMRV causes CFS, then great, we are all the closer to preventing CFS and treating and curing CFS. If XMRV is not the cause of CFS then let's move on quickly and find the cause, whatever it is.

This is the difference between WPI and most of the other researchers investigating XMRV. The WPI is committed to finding the cause, prevention and cure for CFS. Most of the other researchers, including the NIH are focused on XMRV.

The key to making this happen lies with ourselves, those who suffer from CFS. We know better that anyone the physical reality of this disease and its terrible devastation. Like Annette Whittmore who knows this illness through her daughter's suffering, it is up to us to let others know, before they too perhaps become its victims.

This is the best opportunity to get attention and research funds focused on research for CFS that has ever happened. We should be taking every opportunity to make it clear, to the NIH, and whoever else we can, that we want CFS to be researched, now, whatever its cause.

Andrea Whittemore has implored us to write to Dr. Francis Collins and Dr. Fauci (did I get his name right?) but among others here, I don't have the email addresses. I hope we can go ahead with this! Please post these addresses on this thread and any others which are relevant.

Thanks!

Sing

The "5 centers of excellence" is going to be very big, as this is what is going to be needed to "validate" Dr. M's work to the "science" community. Funding for these "centers" has been virtually impossible until now. We all know what doctors and facilities have the "correct" cohorts in place to make this happen. These "coordinating letters" to Fauci and Collins (maybe Lipkin too?) are crucial and need to very convincing and to the point. My biggest fear is the "CDC" screwing this up in 2 ways. They don't know how to perform the test and if they supply cohort samples, with it being a blinded study, it's going to put a lot of negatives in the batch right from the start. They should test them "unblinded" first, which would kick CDC samples out from the start and show the scientific world that there cohort selection was the problem from the very beginning (Wishful thinking!).

Wanted to remind us of this excellent post (#546)!

shannah

The moment is NOW- Please everyone write to Collins, Fauci, and Sebbelius this week. We have to strike while the iron is hot.

If anyone is up to it, some sort of a brief outline of what to say would really be helpful for those having problems stringing more than two sentences together.

leela

shannah, thank you. i've been struggling with this myself. in a phase where the words won't flow.