• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

From the 1st annual XMRV conference

Bob

Can I please respectfully request that we keep this thread nice and friendly like it has been all day?
If anyone wants an argument then could they please use PM?
Let's keep this thread one of mutual and friendly support... it's been so nice so far!

George

waitin' fer rabbits
PEE BREAK !!!!!

O.k. folks go eat. it is like 2 PM on the east coast and I think this is the after noon break. Yeah, looks like they have locked the info down tight and we are going to have to wait for the papers to come out. CC should pick up at 2:30 if there is something they can report on.

P.S. can we start a separate thread to debate the work of Dr. Hubner please, it could be a lengthy conversation. Thanks guys.

Sam Carter

But I think we can safely ignore Hubers negative findings like everyone at the conference will...

Why should we safely ignore Brigitte Huber's findings?

I'm looking for scientific answers to this question. Not agreeing with Dr. Mikovits isn't good enough. (Not agreeing with Drs Lo & Alter won't suffice either).

I'm looking for a specific reason why Dr. Huber is mistaken. Clarifying the answer to this question is important.

I'm not interested in WPI cheerleading.

Bob

I know nothing about Brigitte Huber as a person. I hear that she's a gifted researcher. Are we simply dealing with a case of she can't believe that her samples were contaminated, but others' weren't? As in, "Yes, I found it, but it was only contamination, so your positives must be contamination, too."

It's difficult to get any flavor of the event from tweets. If Dr Huber is just reporting her findings, fine. Her samples were contaminated, too bad, let's move on. If she's trying to suggest (which seems unprofessional to me) that Lo/Alter or WPI samples were contaminated, that's an entirely different issue. That would be her calling the professional skills or ethics of highly respected researchers into question. I don't think we can know which is the case until we have more info than we do at the moment.

At the Invest in ME conference, Huber was advising 'caution' with regards to the XMRV research... that was all...
she was just advising 'caution', and presenting her own results.
She also expressed her excitment about the XMRV research as she is a retro-virologist herself...
She had a chat with Judy Mikovits at the round table discussion and, to me, seemed receptive to Judy's explanations of why it isn't contamination...
So my impression was that she would go back and look at the research again...
But all scientists love to present their research papers at a prestigious event!

FancyMyBlood

If you would like to explain how human antibodies to XMRV are detected in CFS patients, please go ahead?
(Antibodies are impossible to be detected in human blood to a contaminant though, so don't go ahead actually).

Perhaps you are more learned than Switzer from the CDC who designed and built his own test for Mikovits to pass, which she did.

Yup, Sam from Phoenix Rising knows more than the CDC about contamination, and believes that culture cell growth and antibodies are a sign of contamination in CFS patients.

Which is the reverse of what Cort has told us about. So you know more than Cort as well, on his own forum. Samantha, you are a superstar!!!

That's a very distasteful post, Sunshine!

One of the reasons I avoid many of the ME/CFS forums is because of people like you putting al your frustration in taking cheap shots at people. Don't get me wrong, I'm well aware many (including myself) have felt let down by research the last decades. But that's not a reason to start behaving like an you're doing right now. I know it's an utopia to all agree with eachother, but we can at least try to be civil.
I already regret writing this post because today is one of the worst days I felt this year, so many thing I wanted to say I just can't get on paper. Maybe I will continue it tomorrow are at another time, but PLEASE behave like an adult.

SOC

At the Invest in ME conference, Huber was advising 'caution' with regards to the XMRV research... that was all...
she was just advising 'caution', and presenting her own results.
She was expressed that she was very excited about the XMRV research as she is a retro-virologist herself...
She had a chat with Judy Mikovits at the round table discussion and, to me, seemed receptive to Judy's explanations of why it isn't contamination...
So my impression was that she would go back and look at the research again...
All scientists love to present their research papers at a prestigious event!

So true!

So you're thinking she's just reporting her research, which found contamination in her samples. I have absolutely no problems with that. :Retro smile:

Bob

I'm looking for scientific answers to this question. Not agreeing with Dr. Mikovits isn't good enough. (Not agreeing with Drs Lo & Alter won't suffice either).

I'm looking for a specific reason why Dr. Huber is mistaken. Clarifying the answer to this question is important.

Sam, I think I can answer your questions, but you fired that one off quite abruptly...
Is there any chance of you rephrasing your post in the form of a question, so that I know exactly what's on your mind?
Much of what you ask has already been covered many many times on the forum.
Also, you have quoted me out of context... I gave some reasons, for what I said, in the post that you extracted my quote from.

FancyMyBlood

I have to agree, while it's the easiest way to just dismiss research because it doesn't confirm personal bias it's really important to search for the exact reasons of discrepancy between studies. Only that will get us all further!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Does anybody have any idea when we might hear the results of the MLV/CFS stuff presented this afternoon, e.g. the Mikovits UK study? Our Cleveland Clinic tweeter appears to have shut down for now, which suggests that he/she might be obeying some sort of publication embargo but if so, how soon is that embargo likely to be officially over? Do we have to wait for each study to be published in a journal (months! argh! argh!) or are the press who are there (e.g. Mindy) likely to be allowed to report on it, or are they likely to release a formal press release at the end of the conference with some sort of agreed overview? Do we have any info on this?

Am going nuts here in the UK waiting to hear some news that might finally help us!

FancyMyBlood

YAWN YAWN. People like me? You don't know me. You bore me though with your cheap shots.

We are waiting for the Mikovits tweets.

Mature response Sunshine! While I don't know you personally my opinion is obviously based on your internet character 'Sunshine' posting on this forum.
I'll take the mature way and just distract myself from this pissing contest. This even probably was the last time I posted on this forum.

SOC

P.S. Please remember to be conscientous about reporting posts that are in violation of forum rules. It will help us all keep things tidy. :Retro smile:

George

waitin' fer rabbits
Agreed. I'll try to stay on topic. :Retro smile:

That's so sweet. I think it may be too late though. So when the tweets start back up I'll start a new thread. No problem just takes a sec. And we may not get much more anyhow. Only two hours till the video cast.