• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lack of Male Facial Hair

Hi guys,

I've noticed for quite some time now that my facial hair is extremely slow to grow. Like it will eventually grow, but just a tiny amount of stubble - an amount which for most men grows overnight, takes me about 5-7 days to grow. Bear in mind I'm 21 years and all my hormones came up within the normal range.

Testosterone was in around the middle of the range. I find this extremely odd and it feels as if my body has almost not even gone through puberty properly. I don't know if any other guys have had any similar experiences? Also I've definitely been a very late developer.

Do you think its at all possible that ME could have any significant effect on your puberty?

Thanks,

Jake,

richvank

Hi guys,

I've noticed for quite some time now that my facial hair is extremely slow to grow. Like it will eventually grow, but just a tiny amount of stubble - an amount which for most men grows overnight, takes me about 5-7 days to grow. Bear in mind I'm 21 years and all my hormones came up within the normal range.

Testosterone was in around the middle of the range. I find this extremely odd and it feels as if my body has almost not even gone through puberty properly. I don't know if any other guys have had any similar experiences? Also I've definitely been a very late developer.

Do you think its at all possible that ME could have any significant effect on your puberty?

Thanks,

Jake,

Hi, Jake.

Did they measure your "free" testosterone level? If they measured only the total testosterone, that can be deceiving.

Also, how about the amino acid levels in your blood? Have they been measured? Hair consists of a protein called alpha keratin. Proteins are composed of amino acids.

I hope you will be able to sort this out.

Best regards,

Rich

Rlman

i had late puberty and didn't start growing any facial hair till age 22 or 23, which was very sparse till age 26 when thicker (thankfully) but still not that thick, one can see the cheek skin under and near the facial hair even if grown a few weeks. also beard hairs are not as thick as on other men, (not as noticeable on my face as on other men). I also didn't have armpit hair start growing until age 25! i am also short (5'2) and could pass for a teen (i think bc my eyes are small). i'm thinking its genetic bc sister also had late puberty and looked younger (though armpit hairs grew in teens). my free testosterone and total testosterone levels are normal.

Last edited:

Seven7

Seven
I am so glad you brought this up, I basically have no hair in body. I do have in head and hmm but l do not have in arms or very little on legs.... I always assumed was due to the circulation issues with POTs. When I got better a few weeks back, I noticed I started getting hair some back on my arms (they look like baby hair) very thin and unnoticeable but better than before!!