• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Seven MLV subgroups with different symptoms

RustyJ

Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'
Found this statement on WPI Facebook. Does anyone have any further info on it?

Helena Mallett as i understand it Jonathan Kerr here in the uk has identified 7 sub-groups with quite different symptoms. This certainly fits my experience running a support group where although we do have crossover symptoms, our experiences vary considerably. What a complex illness/group of illnesses this is!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Whittemore-Peterson-Institute/154801179671

Second post down

Ash

aka @smashman42 'SortaDerpy' on Twitter
Kerr's work was 7 human genetic expression patterns matching different symptom patterns within ME/CFS patients, as a guess I would think those variations/patterns would be linked more to pattern co-infections rather than MLV strains, but no one followed it up & Kerr's funding disappeared.

taniaaust1

Hi Rusty.. its noting to do with MLV but rather seven different gene expression subgroups. He had a study published on a couple of years ago. He found that different gene expressions had different symptom complexes.

RustyJ

Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'
Thanks guys. So no one yet has attempted to differentiate symptoms according to MLV type. Correct?

muffin

Although I respect and appreciate Dr. Kerr for his work on genetics and CFS/ME, those 7 subgroups and symptoms just don't work for me. I fit in several subgroups. And, as others stated, this was old research and has nothing to do with the PNAS findings. Maybe Dr. Kerr will be able to work with WPI and hit the genes, immune system responses, and the MLV responsible for the viral type in each person. Our strong scienc types can weigh in on this one.

I guess any research is good research as long as it is biologically based - Dr Kerr is unusual for a UK researcher in that he doesn't seem to have been hampered by the Weasel :Retro wink:

When I first read this study a couple of years ago I could immediately put myself into group 7 (unfortunately the worst), although I don't suffer from anxiety/depression which he describes!

I agree with 'muffin' and I hope that, given the resources, Dr. Kerr will now move his efforts towards retrovirus research - after all, the link between retroviruses and genetics seems to be evident in ME from the latest studies.

muffin

Didn't Dr. Kerr lose funding and/or his job in the UK? Where is he now, does anyone know??? I would hope that WPI would grab him as he would bring so much to the table.
Where IS Dr. Jonathan Kerr????

ukxmrv

We don't know yet Muffin. I hope that (like much of the UK) he is off abroad sitting on a beach right now. The last we heard from him was when he replied to a patients email on his last day at work (Fri Aug 13th). People are trying to contact him.