• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Where is the UK coverage of the FDA/NIH paper???

Sunshine

Wessely is Science advisor to the UK media. All public statements on CFS/ME of importance, go via his influence.

He has already joined McClure in stating there is no XMRV in the UK previously. Expect the quote from McClure dissing the Alter paper and comments on the 'effecitve' benefits of CBT in the NHS.

Judy Mikovits positive study of XMRV from UK patients is coming. Wessely cannot deny that.

Move to America ASAP.

max

so ............ if some bright spark had found a retro-virus in 86% of cancer patients and had that study replicated, ..................... would there be this same deafening silence?

We are f%@ked - this is a stitch up - hope no-one is defending the daily mail etc now.

I have had enough of this shite.

This stinks.

muffin

You guys will have to beat on your newspapers and other media

You have to get around the Weasel, outflank him. Hit the newspapers on your own, don't wait for the journalists to do it for you.

Work around that sociopath and get the news out via editorials, posts to the Ed, etc. Don't let Weasel twist that news, as you know he will.

Sucks. But you all have to hit the media.

Again, the Ad Campaign that you hear Tina and I push should have some affect on the UK, etc. Also, this news has hit the major newspapers and journals, etc. here in the US so I would imagine that those would still be picked up and run with.

VillageLife

I emailed 30 UK newspapers this evening explaining the story and sent various website links.

The thing Is they probably want to down play this whole thing....how can they 85% is a FACT.

eric_s

I think there will be coverage tomorrow. But it's a shame they're so slow. The truth is out and they're not so stupid. If they don't report, or report something wrong, they know it will come back at them.

pictureofhealth

XMRV - L'Agent du Jour
I emailed 30 UK newspapers this evening explaining the story and sent various website links.

The thing Is they probably want to down play this whole thing....how can they 85% is a FACT.

Hi Villagelife - where do you find contact email addresses for the UK newpapers please? Did you just Google it?

I tried to find contact emails on the BBC website, but they only seem to provide addresses to comment on stories already published by them.

Thanks

jace

Off the fence
I found it impossible to get into the BBC too, but I emailed blind to the telegraph, guardian and independent, and to existing contacts at the FT and Euronews. I am sure I am not alone. Who knows? It's high on the list at Reuters, tomorrow we will see.

It was 9pm UK time before any reporter would have been ready to file anything yesterday. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

ps I have worked at the beeb. emails there are in the format xero.yada@bbc.co.uk... just thought of that

taniaaust1

so ............ if some bright spark had found a retro-virus in 86% of cancer patients and had that study replicated, ..................... would there be this same deafening silence?

We are f%@ked - this is a stitch up - hope no-one is defending the daily mail etc now.

I have had enough of this shite.

This stinks.

max.. get your voice heard.. i dont know how much you did when you first heard about this. i rang tv stations and spoke to reporters even thou im in Australia in which the canadian consensus defination is recognised. (no country can afford to be laid back while CDC and Wessely are still about)

Start emailing your local papers (if you can). There will be no change in Uk without people there jacking up more about it all. (yeah i do know some have put in a lot of work to fight against system there, but all who can do, must join that fight there).

If you can.. Fight for your very life.

taniaaust1

may i suggest that you guys/girls should put a list here of the email addresses of all your main newspapers so others of you can be helped.

Or maybe even someone or you all working together start up a UK Advocacy page at the wiki here and once finished put it also at the other site (unfortuately it appears that if one starts a page there.. you cant then use the info here as the other site wont allow wiki info sharing as its against their rules).
So its best to do the PR wiki here and once finished. only then copy the pages over to other CFS site so more will be involved.

Australians here started up a page like that at the wiki http://www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/sh...view+Project:Australian+Advocacy+Contact+List

and it is being very helpful to us (thou not finished yet), hence why im suggesting that someone set up a UK Advocacy page. A more organised plan of attack or things to help, is needed in the UK

What Then Must We Do?

From a true local legend and hero (love+big things to Scorzayzee & Nottm crew)...(warning: audio could be disorienting for those with neuropathologies affecting the auditory system - real or imagined imaginary - and/or those affected by unquestioning love of authority)...

Here's a street view of my country, Great Britain (and here it is again, for general consumption) and its big brother. True enough, they don't care about us, and prefer that we're invisible so what can you do but keep the faith, keep lobbying the press, keep demanding answers and campaigning for more great research, remain calm, speak the truth, work together harmoniously and one day...

The rumblings continue and the avalanche is starting, fingers in their ears won't help them, ship is now departing, there's nothing in the press so we're still riding on the Ghost Train, the unknown mandarins are at it trying to hide the truth again, rabbits in the headlights as the truth prepares to swallow them, the yanks have led the way ok but who's prepared to follow them? the wise ones sit and wait around for 'them' to print more data, the patient laughs and cries and sighs and whispers "see ya later".

Like Koan, look toward the horizon at the slowly spreading dawn. peace. Nottnam out.

ukxmrv

Tania, some of the UK journalists are annoyed at the amount of calls they are getting on this already.

Not everyone wants to work on this the same way or risk their contacts being deluged.

It's up to people in the UK to decide how to tackle this and people will have different ideas/plans. We don't speak with one voice or have one plan. We do however, have people who are doing this as best they can and in the manner that think is best.

My very best wishes and thanks to everyone who is working on publicity.

xrayspex

Mark thanks for the vids, somehow he hadnt been on my radar....seems like a ways from the sex pistols....but they were my political intro.....

taniaaust1

Tania, some of the UK journalists are annoyed at the amount of calls they are getting on this already.

Not everyone wants to work on this the same way or risk their contacts being deluged.

It's up to people in the UK to decide how to tackle this and people will have different ideas/plans. We don't speak with one voice or have one plan. We do however, have people who are doing this as best they can and in the manner that think is best.

My very best wishes and thanks to everyone who is working on publicity.

nods.. best luck

max

Tania -
My head is screaming through banging it against a legal brickwall that is the UK National Archives. Following contact with various MP's in positions that would have access to information and several attempts to gain access to FD 23/4553/1 using the pathetic, worthless piece of lawyer (puke) invented government protection asset more commonly known as the Freedom of Information Act 2000, I have come to the conclusion that,

If the people in positions of power in the governments of the UK, OZ, US, EU etc and those in control of mainstream media outlets (TV and newspapers) were going to play any active consistant supportive role in aiding those suffering (understatement) with ME/CFS, then I believe they would have made that apparent by now. And yes I have heard the occasional lone voice expressing false empathy and understanding and yet happily returning to their respective leaders - just enough 'support' to allow you to believe they actually give a damn when in fact they clearly do not. So my conclusion in short is ...................

Until the WPI do whatever it it is they do, until they can make that statement we all want to hear - we are still nowhere. As long as those in power can keep this story off the radar and keep the truth from being known - they will. They have their reasons.