• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Media Coverage of Dr. Alters NIH paper, post stories here

SOC

Don't panic people, spin control only works for a short time. There are new factors in play now:

1) No one will ever again be able to get away with the idea that they had to construct artificial positive controls to validate a test, because there are no infected people, with or without symptoms. This group has identified healthy blood donors with infection.
2) Questions about the safety of the blood supply are now wide open.
3) Excluding viral causes just became much harder. Now, you must look for members of a class of retroviruses.
4} If you are in a hurry to find people with these viral infections, CFS/ME patients are the easiest ones to check. There are millions of us.

Agreed. The spin is working somewhat at the moment because so many journalists are still ill-informed. Some will get educated and start asking the real questions like, "What does this mean for the blood supply?" and "How did nearly 10% of the population get infected?"

It's prime time for our advocates to carefully educate the media. :)

Thanks anciendaze, good points. :)

Don't panic people, spin control only works for a short time. There are new factors in play now:

1) No one will ever again be able to get away with the idea that they had to construct artificial positive controls to validate a test, because there are no infected people, with or without symptoms. This group has identified healthy blood donors with infection.
2) Questions about the safety of the blood supply are now wide open.
3) Excluding viral causes just became much harder. Now, you must look for members of a class of retroviruses.
4} If you are in a hurry to find people with these viral infections, CFS/ME patients are the easiest ones to check. There are millions of us.

5) Nobody will be able to continue to insinuate that the WPI are just making the whole thing up.

I think there are quite a few more to add to the list actually...

camas

It was clear from the teleconference that the woman from Reuters didn't have a clue. Reuters has been known to edit articles after they are released. I think her editors need to hear from us.

filfla4

I just love this understatement from the Reuters report:

"Chronic fatigue syndrome is a debilitating disorder defined solely by clinical symptoms," the researchers wrote. There is no good test for the syndrome, which can leave patients unable to work.

Those of you that can, please visit the Reuters website and put your comments at the bottom to possibly have the article edited in some way!! Thanks!

Sunshine

From the NY Times:"Dr. Alter was quick to note that “it’s not at all proven” that a retrovirus causes chronic fatigue syndrome. Instead, such an infection could result from underlying problems with the immune system." Has this possibility been explored and or discounted before? Anyone out there with scientific understanding love to hear your thoughts...
I find this prospect really worrying!

People who believe a group of people in society with chronic exhaustion, extreme levels of oxidative stress, high levels of cytokines, impaired circulation, lowered IQ, low grade brain inflammation, who carry XMRV and MULV's may have another reasons for their immune dysfunction, is very uninformed.

All human exogenous retroviruses cause cancer and neurological disease and immune supression. Why would XMRV be any different? Especially when found in ME patients (rebranded CFS).

ME is a neurological disease, ME/CFS patients have NK Cell function worse than AIDS patients.

MULV's/XMRV are perfectly capable of causing every single symptom of ME/CFS and as Judy Mikovits and the WPI will show, and do cause the symptoms.

Look at the figures

98% XMRV in CFS (unpublished adjustment of SCIENCE paper) vs 4% of healthy controls
86.5% of MLV's in CFS (XMRV is in family of MULV) Vs 7% of healthy controls

Without knowing the virus reservoir (e.g. where to look in the body) is a massive number.

Following, is a paragraph out of today's FDA paper by Dr Alter/Lo.............

However, in the study of Lombardi et al. (3) and studies reviewed subsequently by Silverman et al. (22) the evidence for XMRV infection in humans not only involved detection of viral nucleic acids using PCR, but also reported the detection of viral antigens, detection of anti-viral antibodies, the ability to culture the virus in a prostate cancer cell line, the detection of gamma retrovirus particles by electron microscopy, and transmission of infection to macaques. In sum, none of the four studies that have failed to confirmthe PCR evidence reported by Lombardi et al. (3), nor our own study, has attempted to fully replicate that study.

3. Lombardi VC, et al. (2009) Detection of an infectious retrovirus, XMRV, in blood cells
of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome. Science 326:585–589.

22. Silverman RH, Nguyen C, Weight CJ, Klein EA (2010) The human retrovirus XMRV in
prostate cancer and chronic fatigue syndrome. Nat Rev Urol 7:392–402.

The question arises, why did Alter/Lo not attempt to FULLY replicate the SCIENCE paper by Lombardi et al, if they even dedicate a paragraph in their own paper telling people how to do it.
How odd.

Sing

Sci Am article

I just submitted the first common on the Scientific American article. I had to register first, which was fast and free. Please others jump in!

Thanks, Team!

Sing

Sunshine

as far as i can see, No UK media are running this story ..... so far.

They aren't permitted. XMRV is D-Noticed.
CFS/ME is a biopsychosocial play thing for shrinks, and the public aren't interested.

Where are the documentaries on the people dead from Swine Flu in the UK with 'underlying health problems'?
Not a peep. And the CJD documentaties? Not a word.

Anything that threatens the state's reputation massively, is controlled for a reason, to remain in power.

XMRV is the next HIV, no one wants it. Ironically the CFS patients need it to get treatment. Who cares about people with CFS?
They are on youtube saying they can recover in 3 days with Lighting Therapy. We are a joke, a laughing stock.

Anything you read on XMRV in the media must include pro psychiatric views and the failed XMRV studies (that the state made, literally).
People need to be brainwashed for their own benefit, they are often to stupid to think for themselves.

Create a false 'controversy' over XMRV in CFS, by creating the controversy yourself, then calling anything then linked to XMRV 'controversial'.
Easy. The public buy it ever time. If that doesn't work scare them with awful doomsday predictions to make them more compliant and more easily manipulated.
(MMR, non tested Swine Flu vaccine etc etc).

slayadragon

From the NY Times:"Dr. Alter was quick to note that its not at all proven that a retrovirus causes chronic fatigue syndrome. Instead, such an infection could result from underlying problems with the immune system."

Has this possibility been explored and or discounted before? Anyone out there with scientific understanding love to hear your thoughts...

I find this prospect really worrying!

This is what I mean when I keep saying that toxic mold and other biotoxins are part of the "terrain."

Lisa

max

oh how proud I am to be British with our sense of fair play and transparency and honesty of the UK government and media - marvellous - not a sqeak, nada, nothing - we fall right into their trap everytime - absolutely disgusting.

mojoey

I love how Wall Street Journal was one of the first one to jump out with "retrovirus" and right below added the premium article "Drugs May Treat More Than HIV." Whereas other outlets are saying "mouse virus' to dial down on the fear and panic undertones, the pro-business WSJ is not shy in outlining the new market for HIV drug companies. Just my interpretation ;)

VillageLife

oh how proud I am to be British with our sense of fair play and transparency and honesty of the UK government and media - marvellous - not a sqeak, nada, nothing - we fall right into their trap everytime - absolutely disgusting.

What are we going to do?
Right now there are people with ME in psychiatric hospitals in our country.
God help us.

Sunshine

What are we going to do?
Right now there are people with ME in psychiatric hospitals in our country.
God help us.

They drug people at the National ME Centre in Romford at night for 'sleep' reasons. Failure to comply makes you an outsider. Meanwhile, ask people what happens at the National Hospital for Neurology, if they can still talk about it without being traumatised.

You can see why so many people in the UK with ME commit suicide. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mZMpvtD3rg Door kicked down by police, locked in psych ward, died from massive inflammation of spinal cord. Psych's found not guilty by GMC.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCY38gGjoaU Self terminated after ME onset age just 14yrs and paralysed for 17 years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcycsWDa1h8 Self terminated due to agnonising pain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDeu_OlMivU ME child thrown in swimming pool paralysed, put on ghost train at fun fair paralysed. Known to be left in own body fluids on pediatric ward.

I hope Osler's Web will be made into a film. It should feature the UK heavily. There are plenty of people who will talk once they are recovered and can cope with the stress of re-living the hell of psychiatric abuse.