• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Aberrant Type 1 IFN Pathyway Response to Viral Infection in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

Sunshine

X x With thanks to Belcanto and lulu at mecfsforums x X

WPI & NCI

Type 1 IFN Pathyway Response to Viral Infection in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Mikovits,J. Hagen,K. Peterson,D. Stephens,R. Lombardi,V.

Whittemore Peterson Institute, Reno, NV, USA. Laboratory of Experimental Immunology, National Cancer Institute-Frederick, Frederick, MD, USA.

118 CFS patients
138 Controls

Cytokines/Chemokines:

CFS:

IL-8: 1045
MIP-1a: 763
MIP-1b: 1985
IL-6: 336
TNF-a: 148
IL-1b: 500
IP-10: 98
IFN-a: 35
IL-13: 28
IL-7 160

Controls:

IL-8: 13
MIP-1a: 91
MIP-1b: 164
IL-6: 29
TNF-a: 13
IL-1b: 56
IP-10: 32
IFN-a: 60
IL-13: 86
IL-7: 60

Guide to Chemokines/Cytokines:

IL-8: RNase L & CMV activated
MIP-1a: Elevated in neurodegenerative disease
MIP-1b: Elevated in neurodegenerative disease
IL-6: Stimulates chronic inflammation
TNF-a: Stimulates chronic inflammation
IL-1b: Stimulates chronic inflammation
IP-10: Interferon response protein
IFN-a:Stimulates macrophages and NK cells to elicit an anti viral response
IL-13: Inhibits inflammatory cytokine production
IL-7: Stimulates proliferation of B & T lymphocytes & NK cells

Summary and conclusions:

Cytokine and Chemokine profiling in combination with machine logic algorythms reveals an inflammatory signature consistent with an over-expression of herpes virus and is useful for diagnosis for CFS

Daffodil

that list includes the cytokines dr. lombardi told me to test recently. in 2 months, VIP will have the testing.

Sunshine

Hi, it's not news so to speak.

It was on a board at the WPI opening day.

From memory (pun not intended) the chemokines listed that are very high in CFS (8 fold elevated+) are also elevated in Alzheimer's disease.
If this was in any way connected to 'brain fog' or memory impairment in CFS it may be very interesting to find this out.

Sunshine

Hi. Yes, you're very much correct.

Cytokines increase a lot after exercise too, which would explain how a 'crazy' person with CFS claims they feel 'flu like' even after walking around the house.
(As we all know, we are laughed at for telling doctors this and told we don't have an infection and are somatizers).

Dr Nancy Klimas did a great cytokine study which from my muddled brain took blood samples around 8 mins and 2hrs !!!! after exercise. She presented the results at the 2010 Invest in ME conference in London, UK this summer. Like this study above, the results were highly abnormal, enough to be a biomarker.

Why are we being told to exercise by the CDC if, pathalogically, it can be shown to cause inflammation? More worryingly, why have we got chemokine inflammatory markers sky high that are seen in other neuro degenerative diseases? That's a big, WTH in my opinion, or at least potentially.

If a CFS/ME sufferer can get these blood tests done and prove they are being harmed by exercise (or at rest) by chronic inflammation, isn't there a legal stand point that CFS patients are told that exercise is a 'proven evidenced based treatment' for CFS/ME? E.g this is false?

With science like this in CFS, telling us to exercise is like recommending a high carbohydrate/glucose rich diet to a person with Diabetes, who like CFS and Cytokines can demonstrate their blood glucose level is very high without insulin. It appears in CFS, our cytokine levels (As Dr Nancy Klimas has known for years) is also very high.

Looks like the CDC's been ignoring the science, and with future testing for patients had better quickly decide if CFS patients with highly abnormal immune markers are actually 'crazy' and need CBT & exercise, or instead are a very ill immunologically impaired group of people.

omerbasket

Is it a new study? Is it the study that Dr. Mikovits talked about that is going to be published until the end of the year?
And again - do they say that in their opinion you have to have a herpes virus in order to have CFS?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Some of these chemicals are present at roughly tenfold levels in the CFS patients compared to the controls. Anybody know what that means? I'm no biochemist, all I can tell is the difference between a big number and a small one!

Sunshine

Hi. I would imagine what constitutes what CFS 'is' is changing by the minute. The problem being the XMRV+ people also have identical biomarkers to the CFS people, because arguably these CFS people are surely the same patient base.

The CDC cannot state CFS is 'fatigue' and shuffle XMRV people away. CDC states that no testing of Cytokines should be done for CFS, yet look at the research.
The CDC are clearly in error for panicking over XMRV, and stating on their website that CFS is effecitvely a 'pure' biopsychosocial syndrome.

This is the WPI and NCI whacking the CDC back on the bottom and putting them in line, in my opinion by showing 'CFS' patients share a unique biological problem.

The crucial question remains. Are these people with CFS with the abnormalities above all XMRV+?

If so, CFS doesn't exist which many argue is indeed the case, that CFS was invented as a smokescreen to hide XMRV and other pathogens.

Looks like it worked, until the WPI came along!

Sunshine

I don't have the paper, sorry.

If the WPI allow the public to see it on an open day, it must be published or finished.

This post is just a small extract of data from the paper on a board at the WPI with information to show visitors.

Chemokines and HIV
http://ajp.amjpathol.org/cgi/content/full/156/4/1441

Association of serum MIP-1alpha, MIP-1beta, and RANTES with clinical manifestations, disease activity, and damage accrual in systemic lupus erythematosus.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16924394

Interferon-Regulated Chemokines as Biomarkers of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus Disease Activity: A Validation Study
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2842939/

Production of Proinflammatory Cytokines and Chemokines During Neuroinflammation: Novel Roles for Estrogen Receptors {alpha} and {beta}
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20685874

Sunshine

Hiya. Yes, of note the title on the board at the WPI is 'CFS' yet the actual data shown just says 'patients' vs controls, and not CFS vs controls.
(However the title clearly says CFS).

Also the name of the journal is missing.

You got it right omerbasket. :)

omerbasket

Well, actually now I found out that it was already presented... on September 2009 on the "Tri-Society Annual Conference 2009 of the Society for Leukocyte Biology, International Cytokine Society, & International Society for Interferon and Cytokine Research, Cellular and Cytokine Interactions in Health and Disease", And there is also a small change - in the name of one of the authors (on the poster it says "Robert Stephens", on the internet "Michael Dean"). Anyway, I wonder if it wasn't published until now, and has there been major changes in the paper since then.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...serid=10&md5=bd9be3240e84388b19d00817b932925c

acer2000

Thats curious... I am wondering if you can have high IL-8 independent of CMV activation if you are XMRV+. I am XMRV+, but I have never had a positive test for CMV, despite being tested many times. Hmm..

omerbasket

Thats curious... I am wondering if you can have high IL-8 independent of CMV activation if you are XMRV+. I am XMRV+, but I have never had a positive test for CMV, despite being tested many times. Hmm..
I think it might be a good idea if you ask Dr. Mikovits about that (via e-mail), that may be interesting to many of us. And besides, again, I wonder if the paper says that you can't have ME/CFS if you don't have a herpes virus (and what herpes viruses does count... like, Varicalla-Zoster Virus count?).

mojoey

Peterson mentioned a correlation between high il-8 and xmrv back in October of 09. That's the only il I have elevated, xmrv+, cmv-neg as well.

SunnyGal

I'm also xmrv+ and cmv-neg. Energetically I do react to CMV, though, so presumably I do have it even though it doesn't show up in blood tests.

Sunshine

I'm XMRV+ and HHV-6+
(I've had all the other 'linked' viruses to ME/CFS done all they're all negative, including Lyme).