• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

L carnitine

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
I have no idea about Cheney, but my CFS doctor has me on one tsp. of Carniclear. I will never be without it. The brand is Designs for Health. I have no idea about other brands. This is liquid. It is wonderful. It has been key in getting rid of my brain fog. Also, that and my CoQ10 has been wonderful for my energy. My CFS is so much better. My big problem now is POTS. My doctors and I are working hard on it with supplements like Adrecor. That is much better, but you also have to heal with time.

I always make sure I have a whole bottle of Carniclear so I don't run out.

richvank

Hi, Keenly.

For what it's worth, I believe that the depletion of carnitine in CFS is due to the partial methylation cycle block. Methylation is required to synthesize carnitine in the body. Some also comes in from meat in the diet.
Many PWCs do benefit from supplementing carnitine, but the longer term solution is to lift the partial methylation cycle block.

At the Yasko Protocol conference this past weekend, Dr. Yasko noted that when carnitine is depleted in autism cases, she looks particularly for H. pylori infection, using the G.I. Function test offered by Metametrix. She said that it often doesn't show up until other dysbiotic bacteria have been knocked down.

Best regards,

Rich

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Been on generic Carnitor for 2 years. I've started and stopped a few times and have always noticed some improvement starting back. It has not been a great improvement, but enough to keep taking it. My prescription has expired, so I'll be looking at something else in a couple of months.

judderwocky

Carnitine can do some amazing things... i like it best when it comes with the Alpha lipoic acid... which is also very good for CFS....

I know that interferon patients... which has been proposed as a model for CFS.... also have carnitine defficiencies and that they benefit from the same supplementation.
CFS patients also have raised intereferon and rnase l pathway activation....

There are a number of proposed mechanisms for how this works... my guess is that several of them contribute....

Questus

Why is carnitine contraindicated for people who are hypothyroid? Are you talking about Hashimoto's disease? With thyroid supplementation, someone with Hashimoto's is no hypo, so I'm confused why carnitine would be contraindicated.

Also, can you please tell me where you purchased Carniclear, Sally?

Thanks.

jeffrez

Why is carnitine contraindicated for people who are hypothyroid?

Because carnitine blocks the action of thyroid hormone peripherally.

Are you talking about Hashimoto's disease?

No/not necessarily.

With thyroid supplementation, someone with Hashimoto's is no hypo, so I'm confused why carnitine would be contraindicated.

I didn't say anything about Hashimoto's. Please read more carefully, thanks.

Sallysblooms

I order my CarniClear from my doctor, but you can find it online I am sure. CarniClear 8oz. by Designs for Health. You can read about it here. I take 1 tsp in the morning. It is SUPER sweet, not that tasty, but it has been great for me. I also take Lipoic Acid Supreme, Dribose as well as many other things like CoQ10. This is a very important part of my supplement schedule. Do you have a doctor that knows anything about supplements and nutrition? You can ask him about it.

http://www.designsforhealth.com/carniclear.html

Questus

Thanks Sally..Yes, I see an doctor who specialized in bio-identical hormones, anti-aging and nutrition. I have been taking Carnitine supplements from Whole Foods also CoQ10 and inject myself with b-12.
Have not noticed a significant difference with supplementation but I tend to 'pulse' my dosages. Perhaps I should just take them all on a regular cycle, but it seems counterintuitive to me somehow.
Thanks again for the info..

Sallysblooms

For me, I must be on a schedule, daily supplements. That gives me enough of everything that way. I used to just take things off and on and not get good results. My docs have me on a schedule, three times a day, hormone gels twice a day, other things throughout the day. The right doses and brands of supplements. Glad you have a doc. that knows about supplements. I think it is good to have guidance since we are all so different. How much CoQ10 do you use?

Questus

Mr. Kite,

Before reading your response I researched L-Carnitine to bits. My research led me to research it in relation to thyroid disease, both Grave's disease and Hashimoto's.

WoW....

L-Carnitine is an antagonist of thyroid hormone...Mr. Kite, you are right.

Here's the link by the NIH...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11502782?dopt=Abstract

Sallysblooms...Why do I pulse my supplements. I'll add a link, but just google multi-vitamin and breast cancer. Huge number of links...Here's one
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/183880.php

The lesson is to research supplements before taking them.

After researching L-Carnitine, I wish I could take it. If I could, I would certainly be taking a brand that uses
Carnipute...A Swiss made brand.

All the best...

Sallysblooms

I don't take a multivitamin right now, but when I did, it was not what you get over the counter. I am on a good routine with individual supplements right now. Many cheap supplements are not pure. My doctors are very picky about brands and giving me exactly what I need.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I'm hypothyroid, but have all thyroid levels at a good point with the use of "Synthyroid". I can't relate it to causing any problems and as I posted earlier have good improvement by taking it (generic Carnitor).

Jigsaw

Mr. Kite,

Before reading your response I researched L-Carnitine to bits. My research led me to research it in relation to thyroid disease, both Grave's disease and Hashimoto's.

WoW....

L-Carnitine is an antagonist of thyroid hormone...Mr. Kite, you are right.

Here's the link by the NIH...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11502782?dopt=Abstract

Sallysblooms...Why do I pulse my supplements. I'll add a link, but just google multi-vitamin and breast cancer. Huge number of links...Here's one
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/183880.php

The lesson is to research supplements before taking them.

After researching L-Carnitine, I wish I could take it. If I could, I would certainly be taking a brand that uses
Carnipute...A Swiss made brand.

All the best...

@jeffrez @Questus

Interesting.

I have a long-standing conversion issue with T4»T3, and cannot take even miniscule doses of T4 (nor tyrosine, the precursor) without becoming rapidly toxic (headache, nausea, temperature, etc) and so am on T3 with zero T4 replacement.

I have previously had staggeringly positive results from carnitine, so I was intrigued by this. The abstract mentions only T4, not T3.

Logically, lysine would also antagonise peripheral T4»T3 conversion since lysine is the precursor to carnitine. I get on well with lysine, too.

Still processing the implications. Be interested to hear your thoughts on this.