• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Abbott is a sponsor of the 1st International Workshop on XMRV

leelaplay

About 10 days ago a few of us emailed the workshop organizers, virology education, and the NIH as we found the wording regarding sponsorship ambiguous. I asked who all sponsors were, and if Abbot was involved in any way. While I never received a response to my email, today I noticed that a new tab has been added to the workshop website: Sponsors.

Abbott is now listed as one of the sponsors. http://www.virology-education.com/index.cfm/t/Sponsors/vid/1FFBC22D-DB9E-CAB3-1012C1F51C7D83C1

Abbott worked with Emory and the Cleveland Clinic to develop an XMRV detection method. http://retroconference.org/2010/Abstracts/39393.htm

And I hope others can fill us in on how else Abbott fits into the world of ME/CFS and XMRV. Were they involved in the recent Spanish study that did not find XMRV?

Frickly

Thank you for keeping your eyes open Shrewsbury!

Considering that this workshop will have a direct impact on public health and, considering the history of CFS research, it is very important to ask questions and know who the key players are and their relationships within.

JT1024

Shrewsbury,

Abbott has been very active with XRMV. An Abbott researcher presented back in February at the CROI and I posted information regarding XMRV. Here is a link: http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/CROI/18610

Abbott's interest is because is produces equipment for large scale screening of the blood supply for Hepatitis B, Hep C, HIV, etc. I believe they already have tests ready to go or close to ready for XMRV.

Here is more info from this link: http://pharmexec.findpharma.com/pharmexec/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=661633&sk=&date=&pageID=4

When XMRV was first discovered in 2005, pharma held back because it was reported that the virus appeared to be inactive in prostate cancer cells. But Abbott Diagnostics jumped at the challenge of developing assays to detect XMRV. Last month, Abbott HIV Global Surveillance Program's John Hackett reported early progress on several fronts. But the main takeaway was that detecting XMRV in human blood samples is proving far more difficult than the WPI study had led anyone to expect. Using their new assay that can detect three different antibody proteins, the Abbott team found XMRV in only three of 2,851 random human samples. That's good news for the general populationa .01 percent extrapolated prevalence ratebut bad news for CFS patients.

Here is another headline from last September: http://www.abbott.com/global/url/pressRelease/en_US/60.5:5/Press_Release_0776.htm

Abbott Receives FDA Approval for First Fully Automated Blood Screening Test for HIV-1/HIV-2

New Test Completes the ABBOTT PRISM Hepatitis and Retrovirus Panel

Abbott Park, Illinois (NYSE: ABT) Abbott announced today it received approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for its ABBOTT PRISM HIV O Plus test, the first fully automated blood screening test for HIV-1/HIV-2. This test can be used by laboratory professionals to screen individual donors of blood and plasma for antibodies to human immunodeficiency virus type 1 Groups M and O (anti-HIV-1) andtype 2 (anti-HIV-2), and as an aid in the diagnosis of HIV-1/HIV-2 infection.

The assay, which provides laboratories a fully automated test compared to the current method, runs on the ABBOTT PRISM system, which can run 160 samples per hour, making it possible to test more than 1,200 samples in an eight-hour shift. Speed and efficiency are important to labs given the volume of blood that is screened each year. According to the American Association of Blood Banks (AABB), eight million volunteers donate about 15 million units of whole blood each year in the United States alone. Each donated unit of blood must be tested for infectious diseases including hepatitis, HIV and other retroviruses. Abbotts hepatitis and retrovirus tests are used thousands of times every day around the globe for blood screening and diagnostic testing.

With this approval, Abbott now has a complete panel of hepatitis and retrovirus tests on the ABBOTT PRISM system which includes the following assays: a hepatitis B core test (ABBOTT PRISM HBcore); a hepatitis B surface antigen test (ABBOTT PRISM HBsAg along with ABBOTT PRISM HBsAg Confirmatory); a hepatitis C test (ABBOTT PRISM HCV); and a human T- lymphotropic virus test (ABBOTT PRISMHTLV-I/HTLV-II). Used in more than 30 countries, the ABBOTT PRISM is used to screen the majority of the blood supply in the United States and around the world.

"Abbott has a strong heritage in HIV assay development, beginning in 1985 with the first blood-screening test for HIV approved in the United States," said Mike Warmuth, senior vice president, diagnostics, Abbott. "The approval of ABBOTT PRISM HIV O Plus marks an important milestone as we continue our leadership in HIV and our work to ensure the safety of the world's blood supply."

Sherby

Sherby
Thanks Shrewsbury,

I have got a negative Laymans thought going on. If i am wrong please don't hesitate to BOOOO me off.

Abbott's interest is because it produces equipment for large scale screening of the blood supply for Hepatitis B, Hep C, HIV, etc. I believe they already have tests ready to go or close to ready for XMRV.

The assay, which provides laboratories a fully automated test compared to the current method, runs on the ABBOTT PRISM system, which can run 160 samples per hour, making it possible to test more than 1,200 samples in an eight-hour shift. Speed and efficiency are important to labs given the volume of blood that is screened each year.

Obviously XMRV is a little bugger to find, which takes time. Would this slow down his very successful turnaround of samples.
If so, wouldn't it be in his interest to come up with a less sensitive essay and incorporate it in his existing system without slowing down his system.

Abbott team found XMRV in only three of 2,851 random human samples. That's good news for the general population—a .01 percent extrapolated prevalence rate—but bad news for CFS patients.

Only a thought.

V99

If Abbott are sponsoring the event, would that mean that they wouldn't want another rival, i.e. The WPI, to be presenting at the conference?

JT1024

V99,

I don't think WPI can be considered a rival necessarily. Abbott produces high volume instrumentation as well as reagents for laboratories to test HIV, HEPB, HEPC, etc. There are actually many companies that provide diagnostic materials for labs world wide. WPI/VIPDx to date is the only available reliable entity providing testing to the public (except for Red Labs for Europe using VIPDx assays).

WPI and VIPDx can't compete with the large bio-pharma companies as far as funding is concerned. Once XMRV testing is refined sufficiently and if causation is proven for prostate cancer, CFS, and other neuro-immune diseases, the demand for testing will far surpass capabilties for WPI/VIPDx.

That is when the FDA and other organizations will step in to validate that various testing methods meet specific standards.

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
Weren't Abbot the people who could only find XMRV in something like 1 in a 1,000 blood donors?? I'm not sure if I'm overly comfortable with them getting involved in XMRV research if that is the best they can do.

taniaaust1

I can see the way this is heading.. Abbott are going to have their less sensitive assey... and the CDC will back them up. Those with CFS/ME will become the lossers in all this... with Abbott sponsoring XMRV International workshops... and the bias which will happen due to it.

Everything is about money... and of cause they dont want the WPI involved who have different results.

taniaaust1

I can see the way this is heading.. Abbott are going to have their less sensitive assey... and the CDC will back them up. Those with CFS/ME will become the lossers in all this... with Abbott sponsoring XMRV International workshops... and the bias which will happen due to it.

Everything is about money... and of cause they dont want the WPI involved who have different results.

I personally havent liked the sound of this workshop from the start.. due to who isnt there and who is there.

Is XMRV going to end up like the lyme disease situation??? with so many chronic lymies who's positive statis isnt showing up on many labs tests?? (i can see XMRV ending up in the same kind of situation as the fight those with chronic lyme have currently happening)

Frickly

This is also my fear taniaaust1, In addition, WPI will receive no funding for xmrv research into neuroimmune disease. Also, you made a good point about lyme disease above. Will we end up like the lyme patients (I happen to be one now)? Will we have to spend several hundred dollars getting a "good" test for xmrv through a private company while insurance only pays for the government approved xmrv test that rarely finds xmrv?