• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ongoing NIH XMRV Research Projects

I found this NIH project information database, it's not searchable at the time of writing but when it was it listed these two projects for XMRV:

THE RELATIONSHIP OF XMRV TO FUNCTIONAL STATUS AND CO-INFECTIONS IN CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME (Maureen Hanson, Cornell)
http://projectreporter.nih.gov/project_info_details.cfm?aid=7977530&icde=4356584

THE ROLE OF XMRV, A NEWLY DISCOVERED HUMAN RETROVIRUS, IN CANCER PATHOGENESIS (Ila Singh, Utah)
http://projectreporter.nih.gov/project_info_details.cfm?aid=7866444&icde=4356584

The projects start in June 2010 and March 2010 respectively, and are still currently listed in the database so are presumably ongoing. The CFS study starting June 2010 would seem well-timed to follow up on Dr Alter's study confirming the association, which appears to have originally been completed in May.

I don't know whether any of this is news, I did post it elsewhere a few weeks ago, but hopefully it's useful to someone. It seems to me to be further evidence that an XMRV-CFS association has been confirmed and that ongoing work is taking place to investigate the details of that association - the Cornell project, for example, seems to be investigating, in particular, the association between exercise intolerance and viral expression:

We will determine whether the level of health and exercise intolerance in chronic fatigue syndrome is related to particular virus variants, expression of viral proteins, and/or dysfunction of the immune system.

Which sounds like great news, but as I say, further evidence that much is already known or at least strongly suspected, and yet very little information about all this is being communicated to the patient community or indeed to the world in general...not yet at least...

judderwocky

I found this NIH project information database, it's not searchable at the time of writing but when it was it listed these two projects for XMRV:

THE RELATIONSHIP OF XMRV TO FUNCTIONAL STATUS AND CO-INFECTIONS IN CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME (Maureen Hanson, Cornell)
http://projectreporter.nih.gov/project_info_details.cfm?aid=7977530&icde=4356584

THE ROLE OF XMRV, A NEWLY DISCOVERED HUMAN RETROVIRUS, IN CANCER PATHOGENESIS (Ila Singh, Utah)
http://projectreporter.nih.gov/project_info_details.cfm?aid=7866444&icde=4356584

The projects start in June 2010 and March 2010 respectively, and are still currently listed in the database so are presumably ongoing. The CFS study starting June 2010 would seem well-timed to follow up on Dr Alter's study confirming the association, which appears to have originally been completed in May.

I don't know whether any of this is news, I did post it elsewhere a few weeks ago, but hopefully it's useful to someone. It seems to me to be further evidence that an XMRV-CFS association has been confirmed and that ongoing work is taking place to investigate the details of that association - the Cornell project, for example, seems to be investigating, in particular, the association between exercise intolerance and viral expression:

Which sounds like great news, but as I say, further evidence that much is already known or at least strongly suspected, and yet very little information about all this is being communicated to the patient community or indeed to the world in general...not yet at least...

Project Start Date: 15-JUN-2010 Project End Date: 31-MAY-2012
Fiscal Year: 2010 Award Notice Date: 8-JUN-2010 Budget Start Date: 15-JUN-2010 Budget End Date: 31-MAY-2011

Project Start Date: 9-MAR-2010 Project End Date: 31-DEC-2014

looks like its gonna be a long one..... to me it looks like they plan on making xmrv a priority.

OverTheHills

Hmmm

Project Start Date: 15-JUN-2010 Project End Date: 31-MAY-2012
Fiscal Year: 2010 Award Notice Date: 8-JUN-2010 Budget Start Date: 15-JUN-2010 Budget End Date: 31-MAY-2011

I found the budget end-date interesting; a whole year before the project end date. I don't know anything about research projects - is that normal and just giving time for write-ups/reviewing/publishing or is something else going on? Anyway makes me hopeful that maybe something might get published earlier than 2 years plus.

Just got my optimism hat on today I guess:birthday hat:

OTH

parvofighter

Abstract WELL WORTH READING!

Stupendous cause for optimism
This is indeed solid cause for optimism. The NIH is coming out swinging by funding this one.

Read the Hanson Abstract & Public Health Relevance!
I encourage y'all to read especially the Hanson @ Cornell Abstract/Description (http://projectreporter.nih.gov/project_info_description.cfm?aid=7977530&icde=4356584). If I interpret this correctly, finally Dr Bell's Lyndonville patients - 25 years later - are having some urgently needed high-quality research. This is cause for jubilation but it's just so unspeakably tragic that it took 25+ years for medical vindication... and comprehensive treatment still isn't within grasp. Stand by for the investigative reporting, the scandal to hit the newsstands when the formal NIH/FDA papers come out (*eg. Alter, Ruscetti etc). I am continually reminded that I'm "lucky" that I've only had this for 11 yrs. What a mix of emotions - I'm sickened and jubilant at the same time.

I've taken the liberty of appending it below:
Abstract:
[FONT=&quot]Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is an illness characterized by long-term fatigue, impaired memory or concentration, sore throat, tender lymph nodes, muscle pain, multi-joint pain, new headaches, unrefreshing sleep, and exercise intolerance. While the cause(s) of chronic fatigue syndrome has not been established definitively, a number of outbreaks implicate an infectious etiology. A variety of pathogens have been reported in individual CFS patients or found more frequently in CFS patients than controls, including various types of viruses. The immune systems of CFS patients exhibit both chronic activation and dysfunction. Recently, a new human retrovirus named XMRV (Xenotropic Murine Leukemia Virus-Related Virus) has been detected in a large proportion of CFS patients tested, but in only 4% of healthy subjects. We plan to learn more about the association of XMRV and other pathogens with CFS by examining an outbreak cohort not previously screened for the presence of XMRV. Other viruses, microbes, and parasites that may be associated with XMRV will also be detected with the use of a panmicrobial DNA microarray. We will determine whether the presence of XMRV and/or other pathogens is related to the current state of health of individuals who became ill during a 1985 outbreak in rural New York. Assuming that most members of the New York cohort are infected with XMRV, we will amplify and sequence XMRV envelope genes derived from blood cells of 40 individuals who became ill as children in 1985. We will also sequence envelope genes from 80 subjects in the Nevada cohort known to exhibit a high degree of XMRV infection. We will examine phylogenetic relationships between the Nevada and New York XMRV variants and will observe whether any amino acid substitutions correlate with the current state of health of the subjects. We will also study the possible association of XMRV and XMRV protein expression in the phenomenon of exercise intolerance. We will examine XMRV-infected CFS patients before and after an exacerbation of symptoms caused by serial exercise testing. We will determine whether increases in inflammatory cytokines, a growth factor, and nitric oxide, or blood cell changes are correlated with the extent of reduced physical ability that can be measured during a second exercise test taken after induction of postexertional malaise. All of these experiments will be designed to assess whether particular XMRV sequences and expression levels play a role in the symptoms experienced by CFS patients and to detect possible underlying mechanisms of the disability that impairs their physical activity.

PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE:
Chronic fatigue syndrome, an illness that disables many Americans, has recently been associated with the presence of a new human retrovirus. We will investigate whether this retrovirus is both necessary and sufficient for the development of the illness, or whether additional pathogens are involved. We will determine whether the level of health and exercise intolerance in chronic fatigue syndrome is related to particular virus variants, expression of viral proteins, and/or dysfunction of the immune system.
[/FONT]​
Bask in the Project Terms!
Also check out the language used in the abstract. Not a single mention of child abuse, psychogenic factors, Munchausen-by-proxy, malingering, secondary gain from illness, or CBT/GET. My doggy nose can smell it - the $hit is starting to hit the f@n.
Fan and shite..jpg
About bloody time too. And the Project Terms convey an understanding of what we have been clamoring for years - investigation into virally-induced exercise intolerance. Wow. Just wow!
Project Terms:
0-11 years old; Aching muscles; Aerobic Activity; Aerobic Exercise; American; Amino Acid Substitution; Anaerobic Threshold; Antibodies; Arthralgia; Autonomic nervous system; Bacteria; Bacterial Infections; Blood; Blood Cell Count; Blood Cell Number; Blood Cells; Causality; Cells; Cephalalgia; Cephalgia; Cephalodynia; Cephalodynias; Child; Child Youth; Childhood; Children (0-21); Chronic; Chronic Fatigue Disorder; Chronic Fatigue Syndrome; Chronic Fatigue and Immune Dysfunction Syndrome; Chronic Fatigue-Fibromyalgia Syndrome; Cranial Pain; DNA Chips; DNA Microarray; DNA Microarray Chip; DNA Microchips; Development; Disease Outbreaks; Dysfunction; Encephalomyelitis, Myalgic; Endogenous Nitrate Vasodilator; Endothelium-Derived Relaxing Factor; Etiology; Exercise; Exercise Test; Exercise stress test; Exercise, Physical; Exhibits; Fatigue; Functional disorder; GFAC; Gammaretrovirus; Genes; Growth Agents; Growth Factor; Growth Factors, Proteins; Growth Substances; HBLV; HHV-6; HHV6; Head Pain; Headache; Health; Health Status; Herpesvirus 6, Human; Human; Human B-Lymphotropic Virus; Human Herpesvirus 6; Human, Child; Human, General; Immune; Immune System Dysfunction; Immune System and Related Disorders; Immune system; Immunodeficiency and Immunosuppression Disorders; Immunological Dysfunction; Immunological System Dysfunction; Individual; Infection; Infectious Mononucleosis-Like Syndrome, Chronic; Inflammatory; Joint Pain; Lack of Energy; Learning; Level of Health; Location; Lymph node proper; Malaise; Man (Taxonomy); Man, Modern; Measurement; Measures; Memory; Methods; Microbe; Monitor; Mononitrogen Monoxide; Morphology; Mouse Leukemia Viruses; Murine leukemia virus; Muscle discomfort; Muscle pain; Muscle pain/fibrositis; Muscle sorenesss; Myalgia; Myalgia unspecified; Myalgic; Myodynia; Myoneuralgia; Myosalgia; Names; Nevada; New York; Nitric Oxide; Nitric Oxide, Endothelium-Derived; Nitrogen Monoxide; Nitrogen Protoxide; Nitrogen oxide; Nucleic Acids; Outbreaks; Oxygen Consumption; Parasites; Patients; Performance; Peripheral Blood Cell; Phylogenetic Analysis; Phylogenetics; Physical activity; Physiologic; Physiological; Physiopathology; Play; Postviral Fatigue Syndrome; Production; Proviruses; Reporting; Reticuloendothelial System, Blood; Reticuloendothelial System, Lymph Node; Retroviridae; Retroviruses; Role; Royal Free Disease; Rural; Sampling; Sleep; Sore Throat; Symptoms; Testing; Type C Retroviruses, Mammalian; VEGFs; Variant; Variation; Vascular Endothelial Growth Factors; Vegf; Viral; Viral Diseases; Viral Gene Products; Viral Gene Proteins; Viral Proteins; Virus; Virus Diseases; Virus-HHV6; Virus-Retrovirus; Viruses, General; bacterial disease; body system, allergic/immunologic; children; coat (enveloped virus); cohort; cytokine; design; designing; disability; disease causation; disease etiology; disease/disorder etiology; disorder etiology; endothelial cell derived relaxing factor; experience; experiment; experimental research; experimental study; functional status; loss of function; lymph gland; lymph nodes; mammalian type C retrovirus group; member; organ system, allergic/immunologic; pathogen; pathophysiology; patient population; pediatric; prevent; preventing; protein expression; public health relevance; research study; social role; viral infection; virus envelope; virus infection; virus protein; youngster

The NIH pitted against the CDC
Now, how does this square with the CDC's latest effort to
trivialize ME/CFS as having no physical findings, much less viral connection? Remember their latest dreck posted here: http://www.cdc.gov/cfs/general/diagnosis/testing.html and aptly highlighted by Frickly in the CDC's Updated Website July 21st:
Theoretical and Experimental Tests

"A number of tests, some of which are offered commercially, have no demonstrated value for the diagnosis of CFS. These tests should not be performed unless required for diagnosis of a suspected exclusionary condition (e.g., MRI to rule out suspected multiple sclerosis) or unless they are part of a scientific study. In the latter case, written informed consent of the patient is required. No diagnostic tests for infectious agents, such as Epstein-Barr virus, enteroviruses, retroviruses, human herpesvirus 6, Candida albicans, and Mycoplasma incognita, are diagnostic for CFS and as such should not be used (except to identify an illness that would exclude a CFS diagnosis, such as mononucleosis). In addition, no immunologic tests, including cell profiling tests such as measurements of natural killer cell (NK) number or function, cytokine tests (e.g., interleukin-1, interleukin-6, or interferon), or cell marker tests (e.g., CD25 or CD16), have ever been shown to have value for diagnosing CFS. Other tests that must be regarded as experimental for making the diagnosis of CFS include the tilt table test for NMH, and imaging techniques such as MRI, PET-scan, or SPECT-scan. Reports of a pathway marker for CFS as well as a urine marker for CFS are undergoing further study; however, neither is considered useful for diagnosis at this time."

Stone

Well alllll-rightey-then! I'm lovin' it, lovin' it, lovin' it! This is the kind of thing I have been begging for for so many years, crying into my pillow on countless sleepless nights. Just a fair scientific shake, that's all. Not more than other sick people, but certainly not less. I'm so pleased with the language alone in the abstract. It's nice to be real. I have more to say, but I'll let the thing stand and speak for itself. Thanks for finding this and posting it again.

usedtobeperkytina

So, NIH has moved on from prevalency, they are looking at cause and effect.

How many patients are included in the first one on CFS patients?

Also, I was worried about the time, seems won't be finished in 2010? Shucks.

But maybe they will be covering a whole lot of territory. And, for those Lyndonville CFS folks, God bless you for all you are about to go through for us.

Maybe they will publish results as they get it, such as "Virus causes this response," then later, "Virus caused that response."

Here is another key. What term are they using? CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME. Notice, nothing about "people with unknown neurological disease" or "people with ME." So if things play out as we expect, then it will be people with the thing we (those of us in US) have been diagnosed with, the illness in Incline Village, the one the CDC said is not caused by a virus, the one that they didn't even go look at in Lyndonville, the one they now says has higher percentage of people with personality disorders and risk factor of trauma as a child.

The DHHS was concerned about two conflicting stories on whether the virus can be shown in these patients. How about two conflicting stories on what the illness is or even what it is called? Seems you have to know that first before you can even study it.

Fascinating. I wonder if NIH and CDC are e-mailing each other.

It is like a boxing match.

"Here comes the CDC with a one-two punch of a study and a website change."

"But, it looks like the NIH is talking to his manager. He is looking strong and seems to be preparing for a powerful response. And here it is. NIH came out swinging. Look at that! A study hits CDC right between the eyes and makes them stumble back."

Well, you get the idea.

Tina

OverTheHills

And on the Cornell Uni site they are advertising for people to work on the project and advert says
"This project will be undertaken in collaboration with the Whittemore-Peterson Institute in Reno, Nevada and the Columbia University Center for Infection and Immunity as well as with several physicians treating CFS patients. "

On the same site I found a profile about Maureen Hanson. Background in plant biology which is curious but I'm not looking a gift:horse: in the mouth. Especially as some of her papers are about mitochondria.

I am right that this is the comprehensive study we've all been wanting? and the CDC should have been doing decades ago. That the CDC will look oh-so-foolish if it turns up anything substantial? He-he-he

OTH

Looks like Tina said the same thing as my last paragraph. Only quicker. And funny too.[Sigh]

LJS

Luke
Congress asked about XMRV??

So you inspired me to snoop around the NIH site and I found a few more interesting things, all of these are within the NIH.gov domain. Sorry if some of this has already been posted

Here is a National Cancer Institute presentation to congress
June 22, 2010
http://deainfo.nci.nih.gov/advisory/ncab/154_0610/presentations/Tuesday/1000 Erickson.ppt
What Has Congress Asked About?
Briefing Topics

Cancer Centers Program
Cancers in Young Adults and Adolescents
XMRV (Xenotropic MLV-related Virus)
Early Cancer Detection
Genetic Testing
Sunscreen
Congress asked about and was briefed about XMRV?!?!??

Here is a few other research projects that involve or list XMRV..

COMPLEX HUMAN DISEASES - FROM GENE TO FUNCTION TO THERAPY
http://projectreporter.nih.gov/project_info_description.cfm?aid=7965072&icde=3792480

WORKSHOPS ON VIRAL ONCOGENESIS AND PATHOGENESIS
http://projectreporter.nih.gov/project_info_description.cfm?aid=7914946&icde=3792480

GENETIC ASPECTS OF VIRAL ONCOGENESIS IN WILD MOUSE SPECIES
http://projectreporter.nih.gov/project_info_description.cfm?aid=7964218&icde=3792480

A job posting for XMRV research aid, they call CFS neuroimmune diseases
http://ccr.nci.nih.gov/careers/position_details.asp?ID=428
A Postdoctoral Fellow position is available in the Spring/Summer of 2010 in a research program focused on understanding the molecular basis for the pathogenesis of retroviruses. Although rodent retroviruses that cause leukemia or neurological disease are studied in this program, emphasis is currently on the study of a related human retrovirus, XMRV, which has recently been associated with prostate cancer as well as neuroimmune diseases in man. The successful applicant will use a multidisciplinary approach, including the development of small animal models, to understand the role of XMRV and its envelope protein in disease.

Researcher at Center for Cancer Research CCR at NCI working on a few XMRV projects:
http://ccr.nci.nih.gov/staff/staff.asp?profileid=5518
Research

The focus of our research is devoted to understanding the molecular basis for the pathogenesis of retrovirus-induced diseases. We have been studying retroviruses that cause leukemia or neurological disease in rodents to obtain basic information on how molecular changes in normal cells can result in pathological consequences. Our current studies are focused on determining whether similar mechanisms may be utilized by the human retrovirus XMRV to cause cancer and neuroimmune diseases in man. Overall, we hope to use the information gained from our studies to design and test rational strategies to counteract the retrovirus-induced molecular events that are responsible for these diseases.

Cancer and Neuroimmune Diseases Induced by the Human Retrovirus XMRV

We are currently using knowledge and reagents obtained from working with mouse retroviruses to study the xenotropic MuLV-related human retrovirus XMRV, which was recently discovered through an association with prostate cancer. In collaboration with the laboratories of Judy Mikovits and Frank Ruscetti, we were able to use antibodies developed against the envelope protein of SFFV to detect infectious XMRV in the blood cells and plasma of patients suffering from the neuroimmune disease chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). We were further able to develop a seroconversion assay using cells expressing the SFFV envelope protein to detect antibodies against the virus in the plasma of CFS patients. We now plan to apply our knowledge of the pathogenesis of mouse retroviruses that cause cancer and neurological disease in rodents to study the molecular basis for similar diseases associated with XMRV. We are in the process of developing rodent models for determining the biological effects of XMRV in vivo, which if successful will provide a small animal model for preclinical testing of potential anti-XMRV drugs. In addition, we are testing both in vitro and in vivo the biological effects of the envelope protein of XMRV, which like its related SFFV counterpart may be responsible for the pathogenicity of XMRV.

Lynn

And on the Cornell Uni site they are advertising for people to work on the project and advert says
"This project will be undertaken in collaboration with the Whittemore-Peterson Institute in Reno, Nevada and the Columbia University Center for Infection and Immunity as well as with several physicians treating CFS patients. "

I read that and raised my arms high and thought GOAL!

This is exciting. Although, I am sorry it will take so long. I am getting older and am "tired" of this darn illness. I was hoping for some relief in 2010. Oh well, there is always 2012 or 2014 to look forward to.

Lynn

ixchelkali

These people are heroes.

DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) is an illness characterized by long-term fatigue, impaired memory or concentration, sore throat, tender lymph nodes, muscle pain, multi-joint pain, new headaches, unrefreshing sleep, and exercise intolerance. While the cause(s) of chronic fatigue syndrome has not been established definitively, a number of outbreaks implicate an infectious etiology. A variety of pathogens have been reported in individual CFS patients or found more frequently in CFS patients than controls, including various types of viruses. The immune systems of CFS patients exhibit both chronic activation and dysfunction.

Recently, a new human retrovirus named XMRV (Xenotropic Murine Leukemia Virus-Related Virus) has been detected in a large proportion of CFS patients tested, but in only 4% of healthy subjects. We plan to learn more about the association of XMRV and other pathogens with CFS by examining an outbreak cohort not previously screened for the presence of XMRV. Other viruses, microbes, and parasites that may be associated with XMRV will also be detected with the use of a panmicrobial DNA microarray.

We will determine whether the presence of XMRV and/or other pathogens is related to the current state of health of individuals who became ill during a 1985 outbreak in rural New York. Assuming that most members of the New York cohort are infected with XMRV, we will amplify and sequence XMRV envelope genes derived from blood cells of 40 individuals who became ill as children in 1985.

We will also sequence envelope genes from 80 subjects in the Nevada cohort known to exhibit a high degree of XMRV infection. We will examine phylogenetic relationships between the Nevada and New York XMRV variants and will observe whether any amino acid substitutions correlate with the current state of health of the subjects.

We will also study the possible association of XMRV and XMRV protein expression in the phenomenon of exercise intolerance. We will examine XMRV-infected CFS patients before and after an exacerbation of symptoms caused by serial exercise testing. We will determine whether increases in inflammatory cytokines, a growth factor, and nitric oxide, or blood cell changes are correlated with the extent of reduced physical ability that can be measured during a second exercise test taken after induction of postexertional malaise.

All of these experiments will be designed to assess whether particular XMRV sequences and expression levels play a role in the symptoms experienced by CFS patients and to detect possible underlying mechanisms of the disability that impairs their physical activity.

PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: Chronic fatigue syndrome, an illness that disables many Americans, has recently been associated with the presence of a new human retrovirus. We will investigate whether this retrovirus is both necessary and sufficient for the development of the illness, or whether additional pathogens are involved. We will determine whether the level of health and exercise intolerance in chronic fatigue syndrome is related to particular virus variants, expression of viral proteins, and/or dysfunction of the immune system.
(line breaks added for ease of reading)

These patients, the Lyndonville cohort, have been sick for 25 years, and they are still willing to put themselves on the line for all of us. That part about "We will examine XMRV-infected CFS patients before and after an exacerbation of symptoms caused by serial exercise testing." We all know what that means. They are willing to put themselves through a post-exertional malaise crash for this research.

We owe them a big thank you. :thumbsup:

I wish we could buy their next round of pizza or something.

I still wonder how Maureen Hanson got involved in this, since she's primarily a plant biochemist. :confused: Maybe it's an example of XMRV attracting new scientists to CFS research??? But it sounds like a great study.

George

waitin' fer rabbits
Well, everybody is having to start from scratch so it's going to take a while. I mean it's not like we've ever had a Big Government agency investigate our illness or anything like that. (grins)

sensing progress

I remember reading about Dr. Mikovits visiting Cornell several months back for a lecture/Q&A with graduate students. It was not open to the public so I don't think we ever learned much about what was discussed. But it makes sense now to see Cornell people collaborating with WPI on a project. Obviously Dr. Mikovits has a good working relationship with some of faculty/students there.

Otis

Señor Mumbler
Well, everybody is having to start from scratch so it's going to take a while. I mean it's not like we've ever had a Big Government agency investigate our illness or anything like that. (grins)

Bad news->Good news

No gov help to jump start things, but there are some great things coming together.

The receint work of Drs. Light/Bateman and Pacific Labs feeds an important facet of the research (quoted below).

Just needed a viable pathogen to study, thank you very much. :Retro smile::Retro smile:

Perhaps this a strong sign that the notion of XMRV being strongly associated with ME/CFS is now taken as a matter of widely held scientific belief. If so they can sure as hell can keep a secret. When exactly did it happen? We all though it would be the Lo-Alter paper would be the final blow, didn't we? Did we just skip a step and keep on going?

OK, I'm getting carried away. Felt good but I've got a PEM to catch..... :In bed:

We will also study the possible association of XMRV and XMRV protein expression in the phenomenon of exercise intolerance. We will examine XMRV-infected CFS patients before and after an exacerbation of symptoms caused by serial exercise testing. We will determine whether increases in inflammatory cytokines, a growth factor, and nitric oxide, or blood cell changes are correlated with the extent of reduced physical ability that can be measured during a second exercise test taken after induction of postexertional malaise.

RustyJ

Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'
So you inspired me to snoop around the NIH site and I found a few more interesting things, all of these are within the NIH.gov domain.

Funny. I did a search on the NIH site a week ago and came up with squat. These all come up in the last 7 or so days? Or (more likely) my search was bad.

parvofighter

Echoing Ixchelkali's Thanks to the Lyndonville patients

Just wanted to echo ixchelkali's comment:
These patients, the Lyndonville cohort, have been sick for 25 years, and they are still willing to put themselves on the line for all of us. That part about "We will examine XMRV-infected CFS patients before and after an exacerbation of symptoms caused by serial exercise testing." We all know what that means. They are willing to put themselves through a post-exertional malaise crash for this research.
We owe them a big thank you. :thumbsup:
Hear, hear.
And LJS - great find on the Congress briefing. Things are happenin.

And George - right back atcha.:Retro smile:

ixchelkali

Funny. I did a search on the NIH site a week ago and came up with squat. These all come up in the last 7 or so days? Or (more likely) my search was bad.

Their search engine for this is down. The webpage says "Note: RePORTER is currently under maintenance, and the Term Search functionality is not available. We apologize for any inconvenience."